Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi PerfectStranger. Your batteries are supposed to be 30A 1500mAH. They won't last long... :( You'd better get a good pair of 20A 3000mAH (Sony VTC6, Samsung 30Q pink, LG HG2 brown) as the AL85 is power hungry and stops firing around 3,4-3,5V. You will never go over 20A with the wattage the mod can deliver!
85w / 3.5v = 24.29 amps. Assuming a 90% device efficiency, 27 amps.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
85w / 3.5v = 24.29 amps. Assuming a 90% device efficiency, 27 amps.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

I wish they had gone with a lower power rating so the cutoff could be reasonable. This 3.4V cutoff is just too high for no real reason. They certainly went lower on the Alien, despite the power rating.

Reactions: KenD

nonnasonica

Mar 10, 2017
Italy
you're right, KenD! just checked on SteamEngine... 3000 mAh 20A (continuous) batteries are gonna be safe unless you push the mod power over 60W. 2500-2600 mAh 30A (continuous) batteries required for higher wattages. we've been discussing on how fast the AL85 drains batteries, and 1500mAh 30A won't last long...sorry if I've been misleading.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
f358fde5f1b4a246e8fc18cee2c357e3.jpg

Mine finally arrived. Really liking it so far. Put a fully charge 30Q in at 2:00 and this is where it's at after vaping mainly at 35W since then.

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
Shoot. I ordered one. Just assumed that the battery would be vented. It looks like it concerns some of you and some not...

I just blew through mine and there doesn't seem to be a lot of restriction. I'm getting air through the usb port and around the fire bar.

Reactions: Neiledward

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
That's a good sign

I tried a side by side comparison with my Pico and the AL85 has more airflow through the battery compartment.

As a downside it vents through the electronics, possibly messing them up more in the case of a battery venting but what are the odds that you will be want to reuse a device that vented a battery anyway?

Neiledward

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2016
I tried a side by side comparison with my Pico and the AL85 has more airflow through the battery compartment.

As a downside it vents through the electronics, possibly messing them up more in the case of a battery venting but what are the odds that you will be want to reuse a device that vented a battery anyway?
That's very true. I don't believe Smok would put out something inherently dangerous. On a side note how full do you have to keep the baby beast tank? I just unpacked mine and filled it. I noticed that the cotton openings are very tall. Do you have to keep juice above the cotton openings?

Neiledward

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2016
That's very true. I don't believe Smok would put out something inherently dangerous. On a side note how full do you have to keep the baby beast tank? I just unpacked mine and filled it. I noticed that the cotton openings are very tall. Do you have to keep juice above the cotton openings?
It should continue to wick until the juice reaches the bottom of the slot. Personally I wouldn't run them down so far, so about 1/4 full is a good time to refill.
It should continue to wick until the juice reaches the bottom of the slot. Personally I wouldn't run them down so far, so about 1/4 full is a good time to refill.

Neiledward

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2016
Arrived on Friday. Cloud city all weekend. Flavor is great on the baby beast but I did get the BBB in the same shipment and it is much more reasonable on juice at around 40 watts than the little brother. Don't love the battery life, but am using older 25r 5's and 30q's. Just ordered some new. I like the little guy but the curiosity about the regular Alien is nawing at me pretty hard.

Attachments

• IMG_5035.JPG
    IMG_5035.JPG
    670.1 KB · Views: 103

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Arrived on Friday. Cloud city all weekend. Flavor is great on the baby beast but I did get the BBB in the same shipment and it is much more reasonable on juice at around 40 watts than the little brother. Don't love the battery life, but am using older 25r 5's and 30q's. Just ordered some new. I like the little guy but the curiosity about the regular Alien is nawing at me pretty hard.

The Alien is essentially just a 2 battery AL85. I have both, and they both fulfill specific needs. The menus are virtually identical (or identical, I didn't go into every submenu), the fire bars feel about the same. The only thing to adjust to is the fire bard are on opposite sides of the mod, so at first coming from the Alien I would be pressing just the metal case, not the bar. Nice thing is you should be able to find the mod only without a tank for the Alien saving you a few dollars as you already have the two tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread