Status
Not open for further replies.

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
If a fatty walks into McDonalds, should McDonalds refuse to sell them a Big Mac? Ultimately people should be responsible for their own actions. If a kid blows his face up because he wanted to blow clouds, the person who sold him the mod has no responsibility; not anymore than the cashier at McDonalds for selling the Big Mac to the fat person. Should a vape show owner warn the buyer? Yes, but the kid who wants to blow clouds doesn't care...

You got a great point and I'd agree but........ This is certainly not a kid and is not into cloud chasing. Just wants to quit smoking. Recon I could be wrong but my vape shop would do what they could to talk me out of buying a mech and a dripper as a newbie.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If a fatty walks into McDonalds, should McDonalds refuse to sell them a Big Mac? Ultimately people should be responsible for their own actions. If a kid blows his face up because he wanted to blow clouds, the person who sold him the mod has no responsibility; not anymore than the cashier at McDonalds for selling the Big Mac to the fat person. Should a vape show owner warn the buyer? Yes, but the kid who wants to blow clouds doesn't care...
That's no more an analogy than someone who goes into a gun shop to buy a high powered rifle or handgun. A steady diet of Big Macs may kill over time, but a gun can kill in a moment's time. How often do you see in the news kids and young adults who are killed because of a gun accident? That's one of the reasons gun sales are regulated. Are we going to be forced to have our mods regulated because of mod explosions caused by foolish cloud chasers?

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
That no more an analogy than someone who goes into a gun shop to buy a high powered rifle or handgun. A steady diet of Big Macs may kill over time, but a gun can kill in a moment's time. How often do you see in the news kids and young adults who are killed because of a gun accident?

True, but ultimately in any scenario the one buying and using the device is responsible.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
You got a great point and I'd agree but........ This is certainly not a kid and is not into cloud chasing. Just wants to quit smoking. Recon I could be wrong but my vape shop would do what they could to talk me out of buying a mech and a dripper as a newbie.

It is forums like this which are why the newbie wants a mech and a dripper...

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Absolutely NONE. Take a look at the posters name you're replying to (Flt Simulation). And with a copilot next to them to prevent a tragedy.

Well the forum picked up an error from your post #41 but that doesn't mean I replied to Flt Simulation and it also doesn't mean you replied to yourself.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
It is forums like this which are why the newbie wants a mech and a dripper...

I know you enjoy playing devils advocate Steve, but come on.

I don't doubt that some new members have come here to ECF not knowing that mechs and drippers were even a thing and then wanted one.

But I think that many more people have come here with no idea what an e-cig is and been steered and swayed by the mostly sound advice of getting a regulated APV or an ego setup to start with.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I know you enjoy playing devils advocate Steve, but come on.

I don't doubt that some new members have come here to ECF not knowing that mechs and drippers were even a thing and then wanted one.

But I think that many more people have come here with no idea what an e-cig is and been steered and swayed by the mostly sound advice of getting a regulated APV or an ego setup to start with.

It is not as big of a problem as it used to be, but there have been numerous threads where a new vaper was suggested an eGo kit and others have suggested a mech and re-buildable.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
It is not as big of a problem as it used to be, but there have been numerous threads where a new vaper was suggested an eGo kit and others have suggested a mech and re-buildable.
ECF is but a small window of what is going on out in the world. If shops are sending first time users out the door with sub ohm builds that are very close to the batteries rated capacity, it is only a matter of time before something no one wants to happen, will. The hammer is already on its way down, when it smacks, I don't think any of us are going to be pleased with the results...

Last edited:

Auntie Mame

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Southern CA, United States
Wait, he later said he had worked with electricity most of his career. He further said they demonstrated how to do the build, he had been reading and went back for a second demo. I agree that they probably over sold him but he doesn't seem clueless. Also please note he did not state what he had purchased until the thread had been rolling a while. Many here see a new person post and just want to post a friendly "hi, welcome". I would think they may not read every entry.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
I personally spent about 150 on equipment and another couple hundred on juice before getting to a point where I started to actually be happy. And in reality I blame that on the b&m that pushed the itazte vv3 when I went in asking for advice and help. Don't get me wrong I liked it and am better for it, but their markup was crazy, and for the money I spent with them I could have an authentic vv/vw box mod and be set for a long time.

I wish they would have pushed a mechanical setup honestly. If they had given the advice I was asking for it would have been plenty safe.

If he went over what things were going on while he was building the coil for you, set you up with quality authentic batteries and charger , went over ohms law and battery safety, with you then I don't see a problem, if he didn't then shame.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I find it hard to believe a vape shop would take the time to show someone in one sitting how to properly use rebuildables and cover all the important stuff but I guess it's possible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

There is a vape shop I know in Prague, which I am friends with the owner who I visit while on vacation, who has a coil builder on staff. Not only does he make Cisco style dripping attys, but while I was there visiting, a customer came in with a mech who wanted a new coil. The coil builder had one done, tested and installed in minutes- all for about $1.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel
So a fella walks into a vape shop that has never vaped. When all is said and done, he walks out with a mech mod and a dripper. Did the shop do him right? Never mind. Stupid question, however seen 5 pages of "congrats" without a red flag from anyone.

First of all this is the worst equipment for a beginner and especially a smoker who wants to quit , smokers will look for any reason not to stop smoking and giving him something like that which require maintenance and cleaning most likely will not work for the average smoker.
Second of all , Mech mod ? for a new user ? come on that's risky , I hope they at least explained to him about how to use it safely and that regular AA batteries can't be used for vaping

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
If the shop provided a 2 hour rebuilding tutorial with wrapping coils, battery safety, and ohms law then sure it's fine otherwise they are being irresponsible jackasses that just wanted more money.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Working at a B&M myself, I can say that we never push a new vapor towards a mech mod. In fact we try to get them to buy a good regulated vv/vw device to start off and tell them to read up on ohms law, battery safety, and coil building before they even consider a mech (I specifically point them to ECF [emoji4] ). When someone has done their homework or comes in with a mech they are ill-informed on I will still explain everything I can, and stress the fact that they can be dangerous if used improperly. However, I could see less than scrupulous employees from other shops getting really busy and selling gear without finding out experience level and just handing them gear without explaining anything at all, expecting the user to do research. Those shops scare me, and they are the main reason why I try to be extra vigilant in making sure people know the importance of vaping safely.

Tl;dr: While it is nice to sell a mech set-up to a knowledgeable customer, we don't get commission, so I would prefer to downsale a new vaper, and have them come back a happy customer as well as having all their fingers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread