Status
Not open for further replies.

WestonG91

Apr 10, 2014
UK
Hey,

I use .32 gauge kanthal A1 and 2.5mm VoodooWool (silica) I've been experimenting with different builds on kanger heads and feel I can hit the resistance I seek (2.5) with 6 wraps of the .32 Kanthal.

The problem is that without a flavour wick; I instantly get persistent gurgling. If I add a 'flavour' wick; I get a lot of nasty dry/burnt hits. I think the wick is just dry burning on top of the coil.

Was wondering if there is anything I can do to either stop the leaking without a 'flavour' wick or lose the burnt hits I get with one.

On a side note; I was thinking about trying a micro coil. I watch RiP Trippers on youtube, so I know the technique. Problem is, I have .32 gauge wire and silica. Any way I can reliably make a 2.5-ish micro coil for a protank head with the materials I have?

Thanks.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I'm not going to be much help, since I just started building. I used 30 gauge Kanthal and made a micro coil, I can't remember how many times I wrapped it, but it just fit in the Protank cap without touching the sides. It came out at 2.2Ω. I used cotton for a wick and, until I read you thread, I forgot it was supposed to have a flavor wick. I tested the resistance before I put the wick in (my mod fires to get a reading and would burn the cotton) then made sure it was completely saturated before using. Sigh. This probably didn't help you at all. I hope someone else does better.

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
I'm not going to be much help, since I just started building. I used 30 gauge Kanthal and made a micro coil, I can't remember how many times I wrapped it, but it just fit in the Protank cap without touching the sides. It came out at 2.2Ω. I used cotton for a wick and, until I read you thread, I forgot it was supposed to have a flavor wick. I tested the resistance before I put the wick in (my mod fires to get a reading and would burn the cotton) then made sure it was completely saturated before using. Sigh. This probably didn't help you at all. I hope someone else does better.

30 is better for lower ohms. But for optimum using silica on anything 3.3 volts and above, you want 32 gauge, @ around 6 to 7 wraps.

I haven't rebuilt yet, but I have the supplies on hand. If you want silica without the wicks, you need 3mm or above. Otherwise, I ordered the standard that comes with the stock coils, which is 2mm. You then take about half of the 2 mm threads (I've actually used wick from dead iclear 30 duals for this), as your flavor wicks. My problem is knowing when to rebuild. Either my MVP 2s have decided no longer to read accurately, or the stock cls jumped from 2.7 to 3/2.9. The ines that come with the protanks usually read above or right in, the replacements for evods sent to me by mistake read 2.7 for 2.5 (or sometimes range from 2.3 to 2.5), but the ones that came with the evods read 2.7 (with a couple rogues starting at 3.9, but lower to below 3 after vaping).

The one right now with butterscotch in an evod is reading 2.9, started at 3.0, when yesterday read 2.8. After cleaning the silver MVP, noticed the black MVP reads 2.8, while fully screwing down the evod on the silver reads 3.0, but loosening slightly reads 2.8 (since they came from different vendors, the black MVP has a slightly lower pin, giving a non reading on a few iclear coils).

If using silica and ecowool, you can get use higher watts with higher ohm coils. You burn out tons of atomizers trying to vape 1.8 or 2.1 ohms above 3.5 volts. That translates to very low watts, which the MVP doesn't have. Hence the need for higher ohm coils (really, those lower ohms only work best when seeking a dripper, or sub ohm, experience).

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
I was using silica til I started micro coiling. It was too danged troublesome for me to thread, so I made the switch to sterile cotton, then Sugar and Cream yarn from Hobby Lobby. Boiled it. Took me a while to adjust to it, but I'm SOOO liking it.

What ohms are you shooting for? I use 32 mostly, but also have 30g.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I've just started making microcoils to replace the PT2 and PT3 coils I've been using. I've had lots of success and more flavor with coils between 2-2.2Ω using cotton for wicks and sometimes flavor wicks, sometimes not. Depends on the juice.

I have Ekowool, but have found the cotton easier to work with.

Also - lots of reading to get you going. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html

I also use cotton - it was the catalyst for me to start rebuilding. I am in it for the flavor, so replacing silica with silica didn't make sense to me. I also did a 2.2 ohm coil for my Protank, and use cotton for the wicking (both the main wick and the flavor wick) and have had no issues and great flavor.

chrisj3982

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
I use 28 guage kanthal, and sterile cotton. I do an 11 wrap microcoil and use some cotton for a flavor wick, no gurgling, no flooding. I can't get the ohms that high, but I did 11 wraps and got a 1.0 ohm micro that rips like a beast. I use an mvp2 and haven't had one issue with any of my builds yet, even at 1-1.2 ohm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
30ga kanthal, 9 wraps on a 16ga needle (1/16") 1.8 ohm micro coil. Wick it with organic cotton, no need to boil it. Use just enough cotton so it gives you a little resistance as you pull it through the coil. I use a very thin wisp of cotton for a flavor wick, but I am vaping 70pg-30vg or 50-50 juice. If you are higher VG, you may not need the flavor wick. Good thing is, if you do or don't need it, it is easy to put in or take out.

Personally, I would ditch the silica wick. The PT's are so easy to work on and re-wick because you don't have to drain the tank to do it. Good luck.

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
Yeah..I have an MVP (among other things). With the one ohm coil, though, you can not drive it more than 3 volts due to the current limit on the device. Oh..you can enter a higher level....but it will not give it to you and it will stress the circuitry. Check PBusardo's videos and others. A better lower level is 1.6 . Easier to do with 30ga. I generally do it at 1.6 to 2.2.....and cotton is the way to go. Either way, if you are enjoying the vape....vape on!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I use a allen key that just fits inside the protank grooves, its 1.7mm and about 4 inches long so its easy to hold and its black so its I see the wraps better than a drill bit. I can wrap 6 wraps of 32 on the key and get 2.0 -2.1 ohm every time, so you would need 7 or 8 wraps to get your 2.5 ohm goal and 8 wraps without making it into a microcoil will land you not much room inside the head.
I gave up silica, ekowool and cotton once I got some hemp fiber. Its more resilient to my daily vape habits, last longer and holds more juice than cotton.
If your still into using silica or ekowool then separate the cord into strands and use a bead threader. It worked good to insert the wool after building and installing a coil rather than trying to build the coil and wool together, then installing. With both ekowool and silica I had to use a flavor wick to stop it from leaking and splattering juice up the mouthpiece. I also didn't torch my ekowool since it gets crispy after and much harder to work with once its torched(my ekowool is genuine from a reliable coop source). I have never really used silica other than for flavorwicks but still wouldn't recommend untorched silica just from what I've read about some of their sources.
I've been rebuilding protank heads for many, many months now and have got it down to exactly what I want in vape quality and if built them right you reuse the heads and insulators oodles of times. I have some heads that are 8 months old, have been rebuilt dozens of times and the rubber insulator is still in good shape.
This whole vaping thing is a learning curve that once you overcome a few hurdles it just becomes easier to build yourself top shelf builds and be a Happy Vapor.

WestonG91

Apr 10, 2014
UK
Thanks for the replies and suggestions,

I started reducing the amount of flavour wick bit-by-bit and was getting less and less dry hits. May have to remove more though, as the head I have in now is still dry-hitting occasionally. It definitely feels like it happens when the flavour wick isn't saturated, so the coil just burns the flavour wick instead of the juice. Wish I could just remove it all-together. I tried leaving more wick on the coil itself and fluffing it up in an attempt to do away with the flavour wick... but it still leaks without one. I'll try just a couple strands of silica on top next time.

I also changed the build to 5 wraps of .32 (should be around 1.8 oHm) and it vapes a lot better. I'll probably wait till I get some .28 or .30 kanthal to try micro-coils.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
I'm gonna go outside of the box on one of my builds. Already have P&C as well as 2mm silica and 32ga Kanthal on the way so I am gonna build a few with that. Since I see many people building a 2mm coil and using a 1mm flavor wick, I think I am gonna try building a 3mm coil with 30ga kanthal and omit the flavor wick and see what happens. 6/5 wraps should give me about 1.8Ω if all goes well.

Gonna add this too.....

Found something really cool for all of you new, and even veteran coil builders. A mandrel that has 5 different sizes. 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm. Great thing is it was on clearance for 99¢. Regular $4.49. They had several left. Check out your local Michaels.

e6u3apy3.jpg

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Just made my first attempt at building last night. First few were epic fails. Kept getting 0.0 readings. Then finally got it right. After the first one I built two more in about 5 minutes each.

30ga kanthal with like 7 wraps on a 2mm mandrel. One piece of P&C yarn and an extra separated strand for a flavor wick. Hits like a charm. No gurgles or dry hits at all. Read at 1.5Ω. Now that I got the hang of the building I will start to tweak.

I will now be picking up a few more PT tanks and retire my Aspire BDC's.

garemlin-albums-misc-pics-picture327703-gabu4uve.jpg

This one had a few more wraps but I haven't tested it yet. Just trying to make them so they fit.

garemlin-albums-misc-pics-picture327702-9y8u2azy.jpg

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Just made my first attempt at building last night. First few were epic fails. Kept getting 0.0 readings. Then finally got it right. After the first one I built two more in about 5 minutes each.

30ga kanthal with like 7 wraps on a 2mm mandrel. One piece of P&C yarn and an extra separated strand for a flavor wick. Hits like a charm. No gurgles or dry hits at all. Read at 1.5Ω. Now that I got the hang of the building I will start to tweak.

I will now be picking up a few more PT tanks and retire my Aspire BDC's.

This one had a few more wraps but I haven't tested it yet. Just trying to make them so they fit.

It's kinda fun, isn't it? I did the same a couple of months ago and now I am hooked. I started vaping the same time as your join date--I guess we're late bloomers, huh? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread