RDA Sorry if this has been answered. I looked and could not find my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
So I'm not sure how to start this off.
I have the smok alien and the TFV8 rba. At my local vape shop I had a guy build my coils twice. He built down to 0.18 ohms. Each time is around $10.

Also each time I would get this metallic taste in my mouth after a week. Also a bit short on breath.

I figured it was due to nichrome that he uses. They don't have kanthol which is what all OEM's seem to use. I ordered some kanthol in 24 and went here
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators .

I have no clue what I am doing wrong. I'm looking to build down to .36 or as close to .3 that I can. I like to vape at 190W. It gives that cigar type inhale feeling. (Yes I inhaled cigars)

After trying to build dual coils for around 5 hours, 2 inches of wire jammed in my thumb from being tired and frustrated I finally got 2 coils with I believe 8 wraps each with a coil jig at 3.5 or 3.0 and ohms say 0.427.

Problem is I am forced into going at max 220W and feels like I am inhaling air. I still blow out huge clouds. Also the display says my draw is around 2.something seconds when I should be around 1.30 seconds. The volts are displaying 6.313 when it should be around 5.474 or around there. Amps is showing 14.76 when it should be 25-30.

So my best guess is my ramp up time is off. Is this correct? Would ramp up time affect volts and amps on my display? I only came here because I just can't leave things alone. I'll get frustrated then tired and sloppy.

I'm not into aliens or anything fancy. Just plain coils that will make me feel like I'm inhaling something strong.

If you read this whole post, I just want to say thank you for your time.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
I would suggest a drop in coil tank and some higher nic juice

Watch some youtube videos to learn some new things and UN-learn old wrong things.

What batteries are you using that will allow you to run at 220W? (Brand/model)

Pro tip for dual coils: wrap them together in parallel, when separated,they will be identical.

Finally, WHY?
Why should your draw be 1.3 seconds?
WHY should the volts be 6.313 and NOT 5.47 ?
WHY should the amps be 25-30 instead of 14.76A?

We can tell you the answers, but if you are going to be building your own coils...YOU SHOULD KNOW.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Be safer
I

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Why are the numbers so important to you? You can build a single coil at an ohm that'll vape like a cigar. Try it. It's less complicated. With proper wicking and airflow, you can make a 24ga single coil out of SS, nichrome or kanthal and have it vape like a cigar smokes. Here's the problem, you'll only need about 40-50 watts so your batteries might last too long.

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
Hi,
I would suggest a drop in coil tank and some higher nic juice.

Watch some youtube videos to learn some new things and UN-learn old wrong things.

What batteries are you using that will allow you to run at 220W?
Pro tip for dual coils: wrap them together in parallel, when separated,they will be identical.

Finally, WHY?
Why should your draw be 1.3 seconds?
WHY should the volts be 6.313 and NOT 5.47 ?
WHY should the amps be 25-30 instead of 14.76A?

We can tell you the answers, but if you are going to be building your own coils...YOU SHOULD KNOW.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Be safer
I
Well the display has always shown that with premade coils as well as the coils that was built for me.

"Pro tip for dual coils: wrap them together in parallel, when separated,they will be identical. "

Not even sure what that means. Btw I have watched YouTube videos.
Honestly if you can tell me the answer but refuse too, then why reply? I mean that in no disrespect. It just seems people would rather build the coil, make some money then take out time to explain the process.

Last edited:

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
Why are the numbers so important to you? You can build a single coil at an ohm that'll vape like a cigar. Try it. It's less complicated. With proper wicking and airflow, you can make a 24ga single coil out of SS, nichrome or kanthal and have it vape like a cigar smokes. Here's the problem, you'll only need about 40-50 watts so your batteries might last too long.
Only because these are the numbers I have always seen. When I tried to make my own coils, the numbers have been off and the vape sucks. If the display shows my draw is 2. Something seconds, that means I have to inhale more to get the effect that I like.

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
that is a recent thing
Ah ok. Well I started using wire coils when it was listed as kanthol.

This still doesn't answer my question about what I am doing wrong.
I actually smoked my first pack of cigarettes in 2 years because I can't make a coil. Anyways thank everyone for reading.

Would love to say the response was helpful, sadly it was not.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Here's something to try. If you have 24g kanthal try 7 wraps at 2.5mm or use the little blue screwdriver. Start out at 30w when glowing the coils. Make sure wicking is not too loose or too tight. Then start turning the watts up like 5 watts at a time from there until you get a good vape. You shouldn't have to go up to 200w.

Sorry you're having a not so good experience so far.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Honestly if you can tell me the answer but refuse too, then why reply? I mean that in no disrespect. .

None taken. :nun:
I'm just a dolt with WIFI.

I have the smok alien and the TFV8 RBA.
my local vape shop guy build my coils 0.18 ohms.
(EDIT) I want to make coils myself. I bought some Ka1@ 24 AWG. Where should I start?
This is a parallel coil, two wires are wrapped next to each other. If you separate the coils, you will have two identical coils.
dual.jpg

Easy peasy.

Follow Don's advice, start slow, easy, low.
Coil building is the easy part...Wicking is the bugbear.

Be safe
I

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
Here's something to try. If you have 24g kanthal try 7 wraps at 2.5mm or use the little blue screwdriver. Start out at 30w when glowing the coils. Make sure wicking is not too loose or too tight. Then start turning the watts up like 5 watts at a time from there until you get a good vape. You shouldn't have to go up to 200w.

Sorry you're having a not so good experience so far.
Later today I'm going to buy a premade coil from Smok. Just waiting for my local vape shop to open. The screws that come with the rda stripped on me. So I placed an order on eBay for screws. Nice part is they give 12 in a pack for $4.99 which I was surprised it was so cheap.

I had tried 7 wraps before. Though I believe I tried it on 4.5, 4.0, 3.5 and 3.0. All gave a slow ramp up time. Also could never get it to .3-.36. Was always around .4-.6. Perhaps I'm not counting right? Does the leg count as 1? Or do I count everything in between the legs?

I'll also be ordering this $9.35 Authentic Smoktech SMOK TFV8 Clearomizer Replacement V8 RBA-16 Coil Head - 0.16ohm (40-100W/BEST 80W) / Turbo: 5.0T-X at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I have a feeling it will make life simpler. I also have to buy more wire. I'm being told to get 22g and not 24g since I'm looking for fast ramp up time.

Looking on the net, it seems 24g is the most versatile of all the gauges and 22g is more for mecs. I am never buying nichrome or stainless steel. I get a metallic taste after a while from nichrome and with stainless steel it just does not seem right to me.

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
None taken. :nun:
I'm just a dolt with WIFI.

This is a parallel coil, two wires are wrapped next to each other. If you separate the coils, you will have two identical coils.
View attachment 661023

Easy peasy.

Follow Don's advice, start slow, easy, low.
Coil building is the easy part...Wicking is the bugbear.

Be safe
I
After reading your suggestion I went to YouTube and checked that out. That seems very cool. More surface area without adding ramp-up time.
I find it odd that you said wicking is the harder part. I actually found that very easy. When the guy built coils for me, I had to rewick them because I was able to taste the cotton. I bought cotton bacon and used the Scottish roll technique I seen on YouTube. Never had a dry hit or even a leak. I'm even making my own juice which seems very easy.

When it comes to building coils I just want to pull my hair out lol.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
After reading your suggestion I went to YouTube and checked that out. That seems very cool. More surface area without adding ramp-up time.
I find it odd that you said wicking is the harder part. I actually found that very easy. When the guy built coils for me, I had to rewick them because I was able to taste the cotton. I bought cotton bacon and used the Scottish roll technique I seen on YouTube. Never had a dry hit or even a leak. I'm even making my own juice which seems very easy.

When it comes to building coils I just want to pull my hair out lol.

Cool, cool.
coil building 101 - YouTube

Reactions: BROKEN1981

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
Thank you for that link. I found a video that was much more helpful then the videos I have been looking at for the last 6 months. Before I bought the Smok tank, I was looking at videos on how to build coils.
This is the video I liked the most.
One thing I am still unclear about is when wrapping a coil, do you count the wraps between the legs or do you count the leg as 1?

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread