Looking for some great wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
Hey guys, so I have some alien clapton wire which is great, but as I’ve mentioned in another thread, I need a significant amount of wraps just to get it to ohm out above my mods restrictions. I’m looking for something where I can wrap a dual coil 5, 6 wraps and have it above a .20 lol, anywhere from .30, .40 is great for me usually around 70-80 watts. Anyone use any particular brand or can point me to a good link. Here’s an image of one of my builds and you’ll see what I’m talking about, just too much metal too slow of a ramp up. Any type of clapton, tiger, etc recommendations are greatly appreciated, just looking for something real with great flavor but not a regular single kanthol build

Attachments

• 9C07DCE7-B2B1-4E6D-A58F-25C6BF554338.jpeg
    9C07DCE7-B2B1-4E6D-A58F-25C6BF554338.jpeg
    947.6 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I ordered some spools from kbee off eBay. I got 100ft. of 22-24-26 gauge ss 316l for $9. I already had some 28 gauge so I didn’t order their other pack that had 100ft of 28 gauge included for $11 I think. That’s what I’d order if I was you. You get 400 feet of all the relevant gauges of ss for $11. You’ll be set for quite some time and you can make twisted or more exotic coils all day long and not run outta wire. I have heard good things about their rectangular wire as well but with all this other wire I got I’ma gonna wait. Good luck to you and happy building.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Whats wrong with single wire kanthal? After experimenting with alien/clapton wire, twisting and all, i went back to simple. Right now, i have dual 22ga 7 wraps with inside diameter of 2.5mm. Resistance is .19ohms and it hits like a bomb. RTA is the bravo from wotofo and mod is voopoo drag. 60watts does all i need from this setup

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Whats wrong with single wire kanthal? After experimenting with alien/clapton wire, twisting and all, i went back to simple. Right now, i have dual 22ga 7 wraps with inside diameter of 2.5mm. Resistance is .19ohms and it hits like a bomb. RTA is the bravo from wotofo and mod is voopoo drag. 60watts does all i need from this setup
Kanthal is a great wire, the only reason I don’t choose it is I like ss better. Some folks have said they can taste a difference between wires but my experience is different. I notice nothing but clean vapor no matter the wire. I like ss better because I can use it in both power and tc modes. That’s really the only reason why I choose ss.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I agree. I still have a good number of prebuilt 'exotic' coils that I will use up, but not sure I will be buying more any time soon.

I've recently been building single wire coils (kanthal, SS, whatever) and been very pleasantly surprised at the vape quality. My recent 'exotic' builds have been twisted wire, lol.

I personally don't think I get any better of a vape from more exotic coils. Not worth the cost at least. I will probably stick with single or twisted wire when the prebuilts I bought are gone. Works great and very simple.

I think a lot of us just get sucked into the fancy wire hype, and while I don't doubt they can vape better depending on the circumstances, folks just forget how well single wire builds can vape.

I rolled a 24g kanthal, 3mm, 7/8 wrap coil for my Peerless RDTA yesterday. Not an efficient coil as far as Steam Engine goes, but it hits like a tank to me at only 30w. No need to even run the RDTA in dual coil mode. Lots of nice dense vapor.

Instead of buying any more fancy wire/pre-built coils, I'm going to purchase a few gauges of SS wire that aren't already in my build kit. I still really like Kanthal too, but have a spool of every gauge I'll ever need in Kanthal.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I agree. I still have a good number of prebuilt 'exotic' coils that I will use up, but not sure I will be buying more any time soon.

I've recently been building single wire coils (kanthal, SS, whatever) and been very pleasantly surprised at the vape quality. My recent 'exotic' builds have been twisted wire, lol.

I personally don't think I get any better of a vape from more exotic coils. Not worth the cost at least. I will probably stick with single or twisted wire when the prebuilts I bought are gone. Works great and very simple.

I think a lot of us just get sucked into the fancy wire hype, and while I don't doubt they can vape better depending on the circumstances, folks just forget how well single wire builds can vape.

I rolled a 24g kanthal, 3mm, 7/8 wrap coil for my Peerless RDTA yesterday. Not an efficient coil as far as Steam Engine goes, but it hits like a tank to me at only 30w. No need to even run the RDTA in dual coil mode. Lots of nice dense vapor.

Instead of buying any more fancy wire/pre-built coils, I'm going to purchase a few gauges of SS wire that aren't already in my build kit. I still really like Kanthal too, but have a spool of every gauge I'll ever need in Kanthal.
All depends on how they are made but mostly the quality of wire used. I primarily vape on SS fused Claptons I make with real Sanvick wire not the cheap Chinese crap wire, there is a significant difference.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
View attachment 731909
Try some .9mmx.3mm nichrome 80 rectangle wire from http://kbeevapor.com
I took Don's suggestion and ordered up a spool of this and it's nice wire. I built a bunch of coils with it yesterday, and it's much easier to work with than I thought. First time I've wrapped with 'flat' wire, and as long as I go slow, I get some really nice looking coils out of it. I looked at the SS316 version of this as well, but resistance would be too low for me, so I went with the N80.

I wrapped a bunch of coils with it yesterday, but had just rebuilt all of my toppers this last weekend, so I'm going to wait a few days to try them out.

I also went ahead and ordered the spools sets of 24g, 26g, 28g and 30g SS316 and Kanthal while I was at it. Can't beat the price, this is was around $10-11 for 4 x 100ft spools of wire. I'm still a fan of Kanthal, but ordered up some SS316 while I was placing an order. I may start playing with TC now.

Looks like decent quality wire, and it's a ridiculous amount of wire for the $$$. Took about 4 days to arrive, but shipping was free, so I can't complain. Doubt I'll ever need any more wire, at least in these gauges.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I took Don's suggestion and ordered up a spool of this and it's nice wire. I built a bunch of coils with it yesterday, and it's much easier to work with than I thought. First time I've wrapped with 'flat' wire, and as long as I go slow, I get some really nice looking coils out of it. I looked at the SS316 version of this as well, but resistance would be too low for me, so I went with the N80.

I wrapped a bunch of coils with it yesterday, but had just rebuilt all of my toppers this last weekend, so I'm going to wait a few days to try them out.

I also went ahead and ordered the spools sets of 24g, 26g, 28g and 30g SS316 and Kanthal while I was at it. Can't beat the price, this is was around $10-11 for 4 x 100ft spools of wire. I'm still a fan of Kanthal, but ordered up some SS316 while I was placing an order. I may start playing with TC now.

Looks like decent quality wire, and it's a ridiculous amount of wire for the $$$. Took about 4 days to arrive, but shipping was free, so I can't complain. Doubt I'll ever need any more wire, at least in these gauges.

I really like that rectangle wire. I use that in all my non tc builds. I have found I can use lower wattages with it to get some great vapor production. I want to get a Recurve RDA. For that I'll pick up a roll of the 316L rectangle wire. It should be perfect for single coil application.

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
I recently discovered twisted wire and was pleasantly surprised how much my flavor improved vs. Single wire contact coils. Made a simple 2x 30ga twisted Kanthal wire and now ordered 32 and 36 GA SS and kanthal A1 spools to try triple and quadruple twisted wires lol. They are also very, very easy and fun to make.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I really like that rectangle wire. I use that in all my non tc builds. I have found I can use lower wattages with it to get some great vapor production. I want to get a Recurve RDA. For that I'll pick up a roll of the 316L rectangle wire. It should be perfect for single coil application.
Wow, wow, wow, lol. I installed my first one today (Ni80, 7 wraps, 3mm) in the Recurve. This gives a hell of a lot of vapor at wattages lower than I expected.

Originally, it was a contact coil, but I was getting intermittent dry hits. I think the large surface area in contact with the cotton was drying it out too quickly. Spacing the coil out some seemed to take care of that issue. Guessing the 'spaces' between the wraps held the juice a little bit and allowed the cotton to recover more quickly. I'll do 6 wraps spaced next time, at least for the Recurve.

I can't judge it on flavor since I'm vaping unflavored juice, but it is a thick, dense vape no doubt. :)

I had some other wire I received from AVS that I wanted to play with in the Recurve as well, so I only vaped on this one for about two hours before rebuilding. I've already wrapped a few more coils up with the rectangle though and have them ready to go, lol.

I went ahead and ordered a spool of the SS316 rectangle as well today after seeing how well the Ni80 did. This is a very interesting wire that I have to put some time in with in a few of my attys. Extremely good vapor production for not being a 'complex' wire.

Thanks again @Don29palms for the suggestion. Have a feeling I will like this more and more as I get some experience with it.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Wow, wow, wow, lol. I installed my first one today (Ni80, 7 wraps, 3mm) in the Recurve. This gives a hell of a lot of vapor at wattages lower than I expected.

Originally, it was a contact coil, but I was getting intermittent dry hits. I think the large surface area in contact with the cotton was drying it out too quickly. Spacing the coil out some seemed to take care of that issue. Guessing the 'spaces' between the wraps held the juice a little bit and allowed the cotton to recover more quickly. I'll do 6 wraps spaced next time, at least for the Recurve.

I can't judge it on flavor since I'm vaping unflavored juice, but it is a thick, dense vape no doubt. :)

I had some other wire I received from AVS that I wanted to play with in the Recurve as well, so I only vaped on this one for about two hours before rebuilding. I've already wrapped a few more coils up with the rectangle though and have them ready to go, lol.

I went ahead and ordered a spool of the SS316 rectangle as well today after seeing how well the Ni80 did. This is a very interesting wire that I have to put some time in with in a few of my attys. Extremely good vapor production for not being a 'complex' wire.

Thanks again @Don29palms for the suggestion. Have a feeling I will like this more and more as I get some experience with it.
Yeah I forgot to mention to start your wattages out a bit lower. I'm glad you like it. I surely do.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I may start playing with TC now

I found TC kinda frustrating even using Arcticfox. Lots of variables to why your TC isn't performing like it should and the mod is to blame most of the time. Wrap wire shifting in the set screw area, fixed by removing wraps from the build. I tried SS core claptons with TC and fiddled enough to go back to kanthal core with SS wraps, less resistant wire is best for wrapping since the wraps just transfer heat and core registers on mod. Don't need much space in spaced build just so the wraps aren't touching. I can barely get a business card into my spaces, just so the wraps aren't touching. The more core wires used the more chances of ending up with inaccurate TC readings from shifting wire.
Spent lots of time experimenting with all kinds of multiwire, subohm and fancy builds to end up in the end vaping a single core 29K/34SS 5 wrap rayon clapton that comes to 1.4Ω and happiest with great cloudz and easy on the batts. The day I discovered the clapton was my last single wire build, that was over 3 years ago.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I found TC kinda frustrating even using Arcticfox. Lots of variables to why your TC isn't performing like it should and the mod is to blame most of the time. Wrap wire shifting in the set screw area, fixed by removing wraps from the build. I tried SS core claptons with TC and fiddled enough to go back to kanthal core with SS wraps, less resistant wire is best for wrapping since the wraps just transfer heat and core registers on mod. Don't need much space in spaced build just so the wraps aren't touching. I can barely get a business card into my spaces, just so the wraps aren't touching. The more core wires used the more chances of ending up with inaccurate TC readings from shifting wire.
Spent lots of time experimenting with all kinds of multiwire, subohm and fancy builds to end up in the end vaping a single core 29K/34SS 5 wrap rayon clapton that comes to 1.4Ω and happiest with great cloudz and easy on the batts. The day I discovered the clapton was my last single wire build, that was over 3 years ago.

Yep, I messed a lot with TC including DNA 200 and in the end just found TC way to much messing about for farr too little benefit. As for Claptons, I've messed with a lot of different coil builds from basic, twisted all the way up to some very exotic coils and found SS Fused Claptons to be my sweet spot. They are so simple to spin up and work with. The key I've found is to use very thin wrapping wire, my mainstay is 38g - 44g. Using a head loop with light it's not that difficult to use. Most all of the mass produced Clapton wire is 32g with some 30g, way to fat.

• Agree
Reactions: Alter

Solaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2017
I have an order coming from AVS 4 rolls of various fused cored claptons , just to play around with and to feed my curiosity, I usually make my own simple ss claptons but wanted to play a bit also i.m out of 38g ss wrap so i'll prolly have to Kidney punch that today.
AVS didn't have any , or maybe I jusy looked past it idk.lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread