JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
New campaign for Texas . . . .

Several bills that would impede consumer access to vapor products are scheduled for a public hearing in the [URL="http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/schedules/pdf/C4102015032408001.PDF"]House Public Health Committee[/URL] on Tuesday, March 24th at 8:00 AM in the Capitol Extension, 2nd floor, room E.012 (Central Gallery - click here for a map). We have Identified HB 170, HB 81, HB 970, and HB 2321 as all containing language that would impact consumer access, choice, and awareness of vapor products. While we oppose those bills, we urge support of HB 647, a common sense bill that only seeks to prohibit sales to minors.

Please take action NOW by sending a message and making a call to your representatives urging them to oppose these bills and adopt an appropriate rule prohibiting sales to minors.

Oppose these bills - Send an Email
Oppose these bills - Make a Call

For those wishing to testify or otherwise attend the hearing, an organizational meeting will be held on Monday, March 23rd at 7:00PM at:

Driskill Hotel
(Upstairs lounge area)
604 Brazos St
Austin, TX 78701​

This meeting is for anyone interested in testifying or attending the hearing. Remember, even if you are not planning to testify, your attendance is valuable as it demonstrates the large number of people affected by and engaged in this issue.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Texas Call to Action: Take Action to oppose FOUR bills that would limit adult access to vapor products

Last edited:

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Surely,there are plenty of people in Austin and the surrounding area that are able to attend the hearings. I am able to drive to Brownsville and McAllen and Edinburgh to visit with reps staffers in those towns. It is too late for me to drive to Austin. My rep is in Kingsville ( because of the court ordered redistricting. I will contact Longorias" field office and his office office . His bill HB2321 is one of the worst bills. Chuey Hinojosas"SB is one of the worst Senate bills. Where is everyone in the Rio Grande Valley? Our politicians in this area are heavily involved in this anti ecig movement. I cannot be the only one in this area trying to sway them. It will not work. In Brownsvile alone,you have Senator Lucio and his son Representative Eddie Lucio111. Surely there are a number of people that are able to contact them. HELP!!!

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Please call a show your support to 2 Texas State Reps--Jason Isaac of Dripping Springs who introduced HB647 and Chris Paddie of Marshall who introduced HB 970. It is a Republican bill which only restricts sales of e-cigarettes to minors. The bills are the same. PLEASE call and show your support. Paddies" number is 512-463-0556. Isaacs" number is 512-463-0647. You might mention e-cigarettes helped you quit smoking and you appreciate their common sense bill on e-cigs or something to that effect. Please call by Monday.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 03/30/2015)

The discussion about prohibiting sales of vapor products to minors in Texas will continue on Monday, March 30th in the House Public Health Committee. Over the past week, a substantial amount of work has been done to bring a bill to the table that would ban sales to minors without imposing unnecessary barriers to adult access.

At this time, there is no one bill in particular we are recommending for our members to support, although we understand there are several amendments being considered that would address at least some of the concerns that we have.

We are asking that you contact your legislators to let them know of your concerns so that the issues that are important to us as consumers are taken into account as amendments are being offered.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 05.04.15)

Neither SB 97 nor HB 170 have been favorably amended to protect online sales to adults between the ages of 18 - 21. In fact, the bills are now identical and are moving toward votes in their respective houses.

We are no longer negotiating for a reasonable bill; both of these bills need to be rejected.

Please take action NOW by sending a message to Texas Representatives and Senators urging them to oppose SB 97 and HB 170.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to full Call to Action: CASAA: Texas Call to Action: SB 97 should be amended to remove unnecessary hurdles to adult access to vapor products online

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Texas House approves bill (SB 97) to ban “e-cigarette” sales to minors, restrict internet sales to adults, require child-resistant packaging for e-liquid
Texas Legislature Online - 84(R) History for SB 97
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/pdf/SB00097H.pdf#navpanes=0

Quoted from the 2nd link:

"PRODUCTS TO PERSONS YOUNGER THAN 27 YEARS OF AGE.
SECTION
A
AA
Section
, Health and Safety Code, is
amended by adding Subsection (a-1) and amending Subsections (b) and
(c) to read as follows:
(a-1)
AA
A person may not sell, give, or cause to be sold or
given an e-cigarette to someone who is younger than 27 years of age
unless the person to whom the e-cigarette was sold or given presents
an apparently valid proof of identification."

Can this be for real? 27?

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The age 27 language was derived from the 1996 FDA tobacco regulation (that banned cigarette and smokeless tobacco sales to anyone under the age of 18, but that required retailers to ask for ID from any tobacco customer that appeared to be under 27), which was struck down by the US Supreme Court in 2000.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I find it interesting and disturbing that another thread was created last night about a news article reporting the Texas House approved one or both of these bills since:
- this thread was created back in February and is still active, and
- just as many replies were posted to that note from last night as have been posted on this 4 month old thread.

Seems like a lot more folks prefer posting notes on ECF criticizing legislatures after they approve a bill than those who post notes exposing, analyzing and tracking legislation, and urging legislators to oppose/amend bills.

Reactions: KattMamma

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Bill, I am the one that posted that thread yesterday. This thread is from February. I had forgotten about this thread. I was so upset by what I read yesterday, that all I could think of, was SHARE THIS INFO. I have tried to alert people as much as possible about what is going on in Texas. I have only been vaping for 6 months. Most of that time I did not even know there was such a thing as CASAA etc... I am saddened by the fact that there are people who never contact their Congress about important issues like this. I have contacted my people with my thoughts. I found out my rep did vote AGAINST this bill. We should not be having confrontation over who presents the news, nor fight amongst ourselves. Some people prefer to stick their head in the sand. I am not one of them. I already thanked my Congressman, and I sent a letter to Gov. Abbott as well.

Oh, and as far as interpreting these bills, I have tried to do so. I am not well versed in legal jargon. But I have attempted on more than one occasion to say the things that bothered me about certain bills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread