Tf-r1,Tf-r2 what size Clapton wire would fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Hi guys, so I bought the smoke tfv4 last week and decided to try the rba's that came with it, tr-r1 and tf-r2. They came with the coils already mounted so all I did was add the cotton. Did my homework and added the cotton and wicked them properly. Even showed the guys at the Vap shop and they said it was fine... I found them them both very dull in flavor compared to the quad coil I been vaping prior to that. Aren't Rba's supposed to produce better flavor than the pre made coils? Maybe my exactions are too high since my first tank was the Crown ?? Anyhow how the guy at the shop was going to give me Clapton pre made coils as I still need to learn more as far as building and spinning my coils. The coil we tried was made out of wire that was 26-32 he suggested I need 28-34 Clapton wire. Will that really make a noticeable change in the flavor aspect? I'm not sure what kind of wire or coils come pre installed on the tr-r1 and r2 ? Anyhow any help or advice would be great!!

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
It really depends on the build in the RBA. Usually single coil builds should produce very nice flavor and less cloudz than say a dual coil setup. The R1 is meant for single while the R2 is dual.

Claptons can make a difference in flavor I suppose. Looking at the pics on fasttech and judging by the specs .85ohm resistance, 9 wraps, they seem to be 24gauge kanthal with a 3mm IAD.

Reactions: rcalvy1

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I was able to fit a 24/32g clapton coil into my TF-R1, can't remember the wraps, was probably around 5-7, but I could have put in a few more wraps if I wanted, 3mm ID. It was a very tight fit for the legs through the post holes, and had to basically use my small pliers to push them into it, but they did fit and it was a good vape.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
What ohms / metal type where your quads and what watts / TC ? did you enjoy them @
@sparkky1 so the tr-r1 was .79 and anything over 35 watts I'd get a burned taste. The vapor production was plenty! The tf-r2 is more enjoyable. It's .26 and and 55-60 watts seems to be the sweet spot. Also with the tf-r2 I'm at 4.05 volts on my cuboid at 63watts anything higher u start getting burnt or dry hits. Little disappointed on the flavor side for sure!

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
I was able to fit a 24/32g clapton coil into my TF-R1, can't remember the wraps, was probably around 5-7, but I could have put in a few more wraps if I wanted, 3mm ID. It was a very tight fit for the legs through the post holes, and had to basically use my small pliers to push them into it, but they did fit and it was a good vape.
So then 28-34 would work? I'm fairly new still sorry. The more wraps equal more flavor ?

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
It really depends on the build in the RBA. Usually single coil builds should produce very nice flavor and less cloudz than say a dual coil setup. The R1 is meant for single while the R2 is dual.

Claptons can make a difference in flavor I suppose. Looking at the pics on fasttech and judging by the specs .85ohm resistance, 9 wraps, they seem to be 24gauge kanthal with a 3mm IAD.
@rice721 So typically if you want flavor single coil build are best ? And do rba's produce better flavor than pre made coils? So far on the tfv4 the flavor is best compared to the rba's and the crown .25 and .5 are even better!! Someone suggested the griffin tank and said its amazing for flavor?

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Honestly, I think getting wrapped up in all the clapton hype is not going to help achieve your "holy grail" flavor enhancement but more so of buying pre made coils, try building your own to start with and not being a slave to what others opinion to what is so awesome or even relying on others in general, wire is cheap .......

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Honestly, I think getting wrapped up in all the clapton hype is not going to help achieve your "holy grail" flavor enhancement but more so of buying pre made coils, try building your own to start with and not being a slave to what others opinion to what is so awesome or even relying on others in general
Ok cool. But I have so many questions when building my own. Like what does the gauge of the wire affect if anything? Or that just varies on different post sizes. Also single I'm told are better for flavor than dual coils? What does the diameter of your wraps should be? How many Wraps should you have?

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Theoretically yes, more wraps = more surface area = more juice vapor = more flavor.

@rice721 So typically if you want flavor single coil build are best ? And do rba's produce better flavor than pre made coils? So far on the tfv4 the flavor is best compared to the rba's and the crown .25 and .5 are even better!! Someone suggested the griffin tank and said its amazing for flavor?

It depends on the RBA and to which pre-build coil heads you are comparing to. The crown is one of those tanks that just has great flavor.

It depends on what type of vape you are chasing
-do you prefer restrictive lung hits or big and airy draws
-do you prefer hot vapes, warm vapes, or cool vapes

personally i like restrictive lung hits over big airy draws I prefer warm to a slight hot vape to cool vapes. I have 2 tanks right now that are my go to RTAs (and I have alot of RTAs) both made by Wotofo. The Serpent (regular size) for single coil and the Conqueror for dual coil.

I wasn't a fan of wotofo at first, bought one of their crappy box mods and got really bad after sales service from them, however glad I tried their RTAs as they produce great flavor and enough cloudz and have just the right amount of restrictiveness in draw that suites my vape. (just a disclaimer so it doesn't seem like I'm promoting their products).

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Ok cool. But I have so many questions when building my own. Like what does the gauge of the wire affect if anything? Or that just varies on different post sizes. Also single I'm told are better for flavor than dual coils? What does the diameter of your wraps should be? How many Wraps should you have?

First buy a few different metal types, stainless 316L, kanthal, titanium and start wrapping, it might take you an hour a week but what you learn from that will tell you everything your asking now
Coil wrapping

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
First buy a few different metal types, stainless 316L, kanthal, titanium and start wrapping, it might take you an hour a week but what you learn from that will tell you everything your asking now
Coil wrapping

Thanks a lot :) looking at the steam engine site and wow that confuses me even more lol. I will watch the YouTube video :) thanks I really appreciate it. If I use titanium do I have to use it in temp control mode? So what's the difference and what factors vary using the different type of wires?

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Start with a single and work up to dual's ...........

I saw this video and bookmarked it another member shared it :) I'm not to worried about the mechanical aspects of building just more so on what the numbers of wraps affect? Like for example 4 wraps vs 8 wraps? Kanthal versus stainless? Is the gauge simply determine by the size of your post or does it affect other aspects like vapor production and flavor. I guess I can start like you mentioned with one a single coil build and go from there experiment with different numbers of wraps. Is there a minimum of wraps you should have and a maximum? Probably a silly question lol- Also in the video above he wraps it around a screw driver how does he know the diameter of the screw driver I'm looking at various screw drivers I have and they don't have the diameter on them. ? And again is there a maximum or minimum of the diameter the wraps should be lol. I will watch the first video ou shared for sure thanks again for our help.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Thanks a lot :) looking at the steam engine site and wow that confuses me even more lol. I will watch the YouTube video :) thanks I really appreciate it. If I use titanium do I have to use it in temp control mode? So what's the difference and what factors vary using the different type of wires?

I have used TI in wattage mode but would recommend YOU start with TC mode, SS will work with either, I prefer wattage mode, the differences all boil down to ramp up time and fluctuating resistances of the heat flux with given wattage.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Just skimmed through the first YouTube video and he states the bigger the coil the cooler the Vap the smaller the hotter the Vap!

Not so much, the lower the ohms and more wattage ( faster ramp up ) applied becomes very much, warmer of a vape, there hence a denser vape, so there is a fine line between flavor and muting from heat

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
@rcalvy1 The 28/34 should work. There are several variables for best flavor. I recommend something around 6 wraps, give or take a couple. Wick it good, I prefer rayon but use what you like, and vape away.
@Cacique thank you very much! What would be some of those variables for flavor? Rayon is that the type of cotton? Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread