Status
Not open for further replies.

El Dee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
DIXIE
Yeah when I saw the pm about the thread being closed I was sure the woodshed was my next stop....Been there done that....

So you got a low oil sending unit gasket leaking on a 20 year old truck....It's in plain view with the transmission removed....then there's the 3 o-rings sealing the oil filter adapter on the other side that look sealed but are known to be a service item....Let's not forget I've no idea the size of the bolts that marry the engine and new transmission...An internet search a couple of thousand times revealed nada...M10X1.5X60MM....Maybe I should post that on the Ranger forum...No one else dang sure has...Right now I'm just short an o-ring and the bolts but they are on order....Chicken salad...

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Dee, are you looking for genuine Ford bolts? I know you know what you're looking for, and forgive my intrusion into your business (silly wimmins!) but I come up with a sheet ton of hits on google for "M10X1.5X60MM bolts". I know, I know...I'm tossing potted meat into your fine chicken salad! Just tell me to mind my own business :oops: I know you're extra picky about your parts!

Moonlit knight

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
West Central Illinois
Whew, made it out alive. - They had a dance hall over there that must have been serving moonshine or something close legally, and the women folk over there must really it like cause the sign said girls XXX. I think its a little strong myself, maybe its wine cooler they got all kinds of names for those.

El Dee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
DIXIE
Bov the actual size of the bolts Ford used remains unknown....

Internet rumors said the automatic and 5-speed bolts were the same....Many confirmed and only one said they were different...As I suspected they are different....much different...Knowing how long it can take rounding up hardware I tried too cover this in advance....Finally with the bolts out and the trannys side by side I was able too determine what size bolt I needed.....

Making matters worse the original bolt heads have a washer machined head...Better grip...stronger and less chance of coming loose than with a seperate washer....

Then the sumbeech was hardened to 9.2 or something....

Finally I measured the threaded hole depth....the bellhousing width....and scrounged thru my secret stash until I found a bolt of similar size for comparison....After covering every detail 55 times I came up with M10X1.5X60mm....Fastenal in Spring Lake will have 'em Monday....Case hardened to a little over 10 and with the washer head...

Usually I rely on ARP fasteners....Best bolts worldwide...these shouldn't be a stress item so Fastenal as I was hoping they has 'em in stock....

The next issue will be wiring the back up lights and neutral safety switch....The automatic has more wires than needed....I must choose the correct 4....Got some net info and a ranger manual....State law says back up lights must not be able to be activated in a forward gear and it's an inspection item...No switch!!!

During the hellacious process of teardown I wished a couple of times I'd said the heck with it...Debt ain't something I willingly accept...Trucks are as high as a giraffe's azz ...I'm the 2nd owner and the little Ranger is a full boat, excellent shape little truck...plus it's black....Now I gotta go and get a Flowmaster muffler too replace the new one that Flowmaster said would fit...It did...Center inlet and outlet and it looked like I was dragging a dang refrigerator...Looked fine welding it on....Take a break and sit down nearby the Ranger and WTH???? I'm going with the side inlet/outlet and a little "tuck" action...also throwing in a one piece aluminum driveshaft from 04 on...Losing a carrier bearing and 2 u joints plus the original shaft is steel....Try and find that shaft....I've been hoarding it in preparation....Gonna keep lining up my ducks and maybe see some good progress next week....All indications are the little Ranger will be good to go for a lotta miles...

Last edited:

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Boy this afternoon was really booming. OMG I had 2 more new accounts and didn't get finished with the last one until 10 after 5:00. Then I had to rush to balance my drawer. Then our new image recorder broke and we had to take our work to the next closest branch 15 miles away to run our work.

Then I had to rush to get to the community Swamp John's catfish meal and I learned even though I new everyone and they all was asking about me. And all my kids from the football team were great but OMG I cannot handle crowds. I got so jittery, anxious and barely fought off having another attack. My chest got tight but I didn't have another attack thank God! I'm fine now though.

So how was everyones day? :D

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Dee, you'll be the shiz when you get the Ranger road worthy! Of that I have no doubt!

Aww, poor Moon with no DD, but hey...lessons learned!

TGIF Evie, sounds like you had a rough day. I'm not too keen on crowds either, and am well acquainted with panic attacks. Sounds like you got it under control quickly, be proud of that!

Hope Frannie's having great camping weather :)

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dee, you'll be the shiz when you get the Ranger road worthy! Of that I have no doubt!

Aww, poor Moon with no DD, but hey...lessons learned!

TGIF Evie, sounds like you had a rough day. I'm not too keen on crowds either, and am well acquainted with panic attacks. Sounds like you got it under control quickly, be proud of that!

Hope Frannie's having great camping weather :)

Bov, I have pericarditis where the sack around my heart swells if my heart rate gets up too high. I sure hope I'm not developing panic attacks too. I sure did feel like I was fixing to panic today though. :D

Goodnight Fran. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread