Status
Not open for further replies.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
The Vamo does not make a great ohms or voltage checker. It is better to have a meter IMO. But for now just make sure and not go to close to the edge on that battery's amperage rating that way it won't matter if it's off a bit. Here is the one I use and it's pretty good I checked it with my fluke for accuracy and it's pretty damn close. The Omnitester

One word of warning about meters like this as this happened to me. If the Voltage checker connector ever shorts you will fry a battery. Fried one of my Sony 26650 batteries that way and they are hard to come by.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Got a Magneto, wondering if the Vamo v5's ohms readout fairly accurate. I've also been using it to check battery checker.
Couldn't afford to get a dedicated one at the time, will wait till next month.
Magneto w/ Sony VTC5's and Igo-W running 0.4ohm 28g dual nano coil
Sorry, if this isn't the right forum for this...
Welcome to EFC, NewYorker. Those of us that have been using mechs and RBAs for a while can be a little overly safety conscious - but we prefer sounding like someone's mom... to the alternative of someone getting hurt. ;-)

Stay at what your Vamo indicates as 0.4Ω, until you get a real meter - preferably both an ohm meter/build box like the one Steve suggests... and a digital multi-meter (DMM) of good quality. With a DMM you can measure your battery voltage, mech conductivity and of course, atomizer resistance. All good things to know when you need to chase down the inevitable problem.

At 0.4Ω, your 10.5 amp (at 4.2v) draw on a VTC5 has sufficient resistance/battery maximum current drain parity, that even if the Vamo is largely inaccurate, you still have a reasonable margin of safety. Still... pay attention to mech "hot spots" and discontinue use at that resistance until you do get your meter.

To put it yet another way... when you go into low sub-ohm territory, a small inaccuracy in your metered resistance can mean a dramatic increase in battery drain... and having two meters with known accuracy potential is far safer than one APV of questionable accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread