VV question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
I used to take the resistance and add 2.2 to find a decent voltage. 1.8 ohms at 4.0 volts, 2.5 ohms at 4.7 volts, etc... That was with a joyetech eGo Twist.

Nowadays I find myself thinking more in terms of watts, pushing whatever is on my Provari to its maximum 15 watts and backing it down only if I'm getting a burnt taste.

I recently ordered a 12 watt Kick clone, and I'll probably leave it set at 12 watts.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
tootlers:12404006 said:
My battery is only 800mah so I'm trying to find the best settings for the longest battery life yet still giving me a good vape production. Will wattage effect my battery life or only voltage?

Since the resistance is constant, adjusting voltage is adjusting wattage and vice versa.

Porkchopz

Feb 24, 2014
Kentucky
I find that you have to find your own groove with voltage or wattage. New people sometimes tend to be down in the low 3.x's to start. That is where I started. Now I find my groove around 3.9-4.1 depending on the flavor I'm vaping. I was surprised to see my buddy at work was up in the 5.x's.

He seems to like it.. doesn't take near as long a hit as I do.

I think it's mostly a personal preference things and then also the flavor gets involved. A note here is that the mod and tank have a lot to do with this also. My dad for instance could not stand my ProVari + ProTank at any setting... but loves his Zmax + ProTank in the 3.2 range.

I don't worry about battery life. I have 4x 2900mah 18650's and I get about 2 days out of them and they are new... so I should get 3 days once they break in. Just keep an extra battery with you and vape at whatever feels right for you.

-Brian

Porkchopz

Feb 24, 2014
Kentucky
I'm sorry I'm really new to all this. So you're saying every time I adjust my wattage my voltage changes too? I'm just wanting to know about battery life. Will higher wattage make it last less longer and the same with voltage?

Yes.

If you adjust by wattage.. in the background the device adjusts the voltage. If you adjust by voltage... in the background the device adjusts the wattage.

They are bound together.

-Brian

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Wattage is really a calculation done with resistance and volts. It's basically like driving an automatic car instead of a stick shift. Your coil resistance and volts combine to make watts. Once you set a device to the watts you want, it doesn't matter what your coils resistance is. The device will adjust the voltage it puts out to create the wattage you set it to. To save on power with a device capable of variable watts, I would adjust the watts to taste, and then get a coil with lower resistance. Your device will then adjust the volts it puts out to adjust for the lower resistance of your coil and you'll get longer battery life.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
tootlers:12404055 said:
I'm sorry I'm really new to all this. So you're saying every time I adjust my wattage my voltage changes too? I'm just wanting to know about battery life. Will higher wattage make it last less longer and the same with voltage?

Look at VW mode like an automatic transmission and VV like a stick shift. Oh...and Google Ohms Law...

As to battery life, ultimately the most satisfying solution is having multiple batteries and not worrying about it.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
tootlers:12404139 said:
I'm now running my setup at 2.4ohms with 8.5 wattage and 4.0 volts and it seems to be perfect... Thank you guys! The safe vaping chart helped me out a lot!

I'm vaping a Taifun GT at 1.4 ohms right now at 4.5 volts for 14.5 watts.

My 700 mAh battery will last an hour and a half or so...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread