Walmart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

provoked

Jul 11, 2011
Pennsylvania
What do you all call your e cigarettes in public? I don't normally vape in public, but if I do I'd prefer to use a word that doesn't include "cigarette."

I usually call it my "PV" or "personal vaporizer." However, if I am talking to a smoker I call it an ecig.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

36tinybells

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
Right Over Here
Ninja vaping, talk of massive civil disobedience, I love this forum.
I vape mostly away from people that I don't know because I vape to relax and I generally don't find strangers relaxing to be around. That being said, I would vape in Walmart should I find myself needing to. I just don't like shopping for very long. Unless its pv stuff online. That I apparently have an endless appetite for.

count dragula

Jul 9, 2011
NoVA
In most of the experiences I have had with non-smokers commenting about no smoking, I just educate them on the device and the process of vaping.
... preferably ahead of time.

I've been boring people in the office about my new vaping "gizmo", to prepare them for when I start taking hits off it in my office. (The whole building is non-smoking, other than the loading dock, five flights down.)
Fortunately, in VA, the State Attorney General recently overruled the Health Dept bureaucrats and verified that e-cigs are *not* subject to the state smoking bans.
I've actually had non-smokers point out that I can use it in the office. :D

I've also found that vaping pure unflavored PG produces hardly any visible vapor, especially exhaled.
You could take a huge hit on the PV, then blow out ... nothing at all, visible. ;)

Adding even 15% VG to PG produces a lot of visible vapor, compared to pure PG.
(It also notably reduces the TH.) So pure PG base would probably be preferable for "stealth vaping".

In a debate on a car forum, I noticed that there's practically a conditioned response against smoking, in a significant chunk of the population. Since it seems to operate at the emotional, rather than rational level, it would trigger on vaping, as well. So it's probably a good idea not to get in people's faces with it, until more people know what vaping is.

I wonder if anyone makes a PV that looks like an asthma inhaler. :laugh:

That being said, I'd probably reach my limit on tolerating Walmart before I'd need to vape. :D
(Although I wonder if you could clear the "express" lane with one of Churchill's cigars. ;))

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
It takes a while for some folks to get over the “I’m smoking” mentality. It's understandable because of all the years of browbeating. What we have here is a failure to communicate. Vaping does not equal smoking. It is anti-smoking.

The Attorney General of Virginia defined it very well in his opinion stating that,

“First, an e-cigarette does not involve the “inhaling, or exhaling of smoke.” Smoke is defined as
“the gaseous products of burning carbonaceous materials made visible by the presence of small particles of carbon.” To be sure, one definition of smoke is “fume or vapor often resulting from the action of heat on moisture.” That, however, is not the way the term smoke is commonly understood. Statutes should be construed under their “ordinary and plain meaning.” Water vapor containing traces of particulate matter, such as water evaporating from a tea kettle, is not ordinarily understood to be “smoke.” An ecigarette does not function in manner of a traditional cigarette because it functions electrically rather than via combustion of a material such as tobacco. Therefore, the vapor emitted by an e-cigarette would not fall within the definition of “smoke” or “smoking”

Wal-Mart or any other company has the right to set policy in their establishment. If they ban anything as personal as something you ingest, with no harm to others, the very least they should do is conduct some research as to why. If they follow through with a ban the customers can institute a ban of their own.

To the OP. My opinion. In a situation like you describe I would smile and stick out my hand and shake hers and say, “Thank God. I hate smoking! It took me 40 years to quit. Thank you Wal-Mart”. Since she is a Greeter there isn’t time to give her an education so I would put my PV in my pocket a roll on. Any other employee will get the full treatment. I like people to approach me about using my PV. It’s a great way to educate the public about the miracle that is taking place with the PV.

Last edited:
Well, I've vapped in Wall Mart,the eye doctors, the offices of all of my doctors,the local hospital, just about anywhere I wasn't allowed to smoke. I don't hide, and when I'm out and about, my PV looks like a cigarette. I don't blow vapor in anyones face. If I notice someone reacting I start holding it by the 'lit' end.
One of the resons(there's lots of them) I started vapping was because I COULD do it in places I couldn't smoke.
Rule of thumb, Don't be rude, smie and show it off. Talk about it, educate!

rinoaa52r

Jun 20, 2010
Alton, IL USA
At my walmart most of the staff and management are uninformed about PV's. I was on break vaping right out front sitting on the front benches. One of the managers walked up to me and reminded me of the no smoking policy. I responded with the fact that I was not actually smoking and told him about them. He told me that he would have to talk to the rest of the management then get back with me on a response but so far I haven't heard anything since. I still vape out front and no one has said anything to me about it yet. I have done it inside the store a couple of times but it has always been stealthy just cause I would not like to cause extra problems for myself plus I'm not out of my 90 day probationary period yet.

El-ahrairah

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
Chesterfield, MI
Like what other people have already said, I just don't vape where smoking isn't permitted. We have a new-ish anti-smoking law that pretty much bans them in areas where food is prepared or served (I think, I haven't really read up on it). While I'm sure that I could walk up and down the isles of Walmart, taking drags off my PV, I don't because I wouldn't do so with a cigarette. I pretty much only vape in public in places where I would have been able to smoke before the ban: outside, in bars, other people's homes (unless they smoke/vape), etc.

I don't vape in restaurants out of common courtesy. I'm not trying to be evangelical about PVs, nor do I have an axe to grind with anti-smokers because I kinda see their point...even if they do get pushy about it, sometimes.

mangoon

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I try very hard to stick to the if you cant you cant smoke there-dont vape there rule except for the dopey new ones about No Smoking at parks and beaches. I will take my chances there lol. At bars and eating establishments I always take it outside. I do my best to let common courtesy dictate when and where I vape in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread