Wattage on BVC coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesnew

Mar 30, 2015
Hi all.

I'm considering getting a eleaf istick 30w within the next week and I just have a few questions.
I currently have an Aspire nautilus which I love.
Firstly, I was just wondering if this will be a nice match?
Secondly, what wattage is good for the nautilus on the Istick? If it is high (15-20w) will that burn out the BVC coil very fast?

Thanks! :)

jamesnew

Mar 30, 2015
Thanks. I tend to use 50/50 or 60pg/40Vg so that seems good. At 15-20 do you think that the coil will last as it is at the moment (they usually about a week at the moment)? Also, would you recommend 1.6 or 1.8 ohm at 15/20 watts?

I know a lot of questions but I know his helpful everyone is around here, and I appreciate your advice. :)

Reactions: dhood

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
It really doesn't matter a whole lot which coils you get since you're using a wattage regulating device. Whichever resistance you pick, they're so similar you'll likely be vaping either at exactly the same wattage once you find your sweet spot. That said, with a 50/50 or 60/40 juice, one to two weeks of coil life is a reasonable expectation.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
15w should be good. 20w might start to cause trouble, depending what sort of liquid you use.
It's a good combo. If you want to go a little higher, then a Kanger Subtank 0.5 or 1.2ohm both work well on the 30w iStick. Different 'draw' though.
I have two of each and like them in different ways.
(12w-15w mini Nautilus, a little more generally with Subtank, rarely over 20w)

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I vape a 50/50 clear peppermint juice at 19 watts. I go through around 5ml per day on average with it, and a single coil lasts me around a month.

More than anything it's the juice that will determine how long the coil lasts. The darker and more sugary a juice is the faster it's going to gunk up the wick. Thicker juices are harder to wick and thus usually need less power to keep from getting dry hits.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Ml's is a more accurate measure of head longevity.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't think there is any "accurate" way to measure head longevity when there are so many variables. The same head at the same wattage may last 20ml or 200ml depending on the juice you're running through it. With my peppermint I get about 150ml out of a single head, but if I were to switch to a chocolate or coffee I would be shocked if I got 50ml through it before the wick was too gunked up to use.

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
Vermont, USA
I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't think there is any "accurate" way to measure head longevity when there are so many variables. The same head at the same wattage may last 20ml or 200ml depending on the juice you're running through it. With my peppermint I get about 150ml out of a single head, but if I were to switch to a chocolate or coffee I would be shocked if I got 50ml through it before the wick was too gunked up to use.

Yeah, I think the type of juice has a much greater role in coil longevity than ml's. I got a few Nautilus' a month ago and I'm still on the original coil, going strong. That's because I vape unflavored or menthol 90% of the time. I bought a Nautilus for my mother at the same time. She vapes dark colored coffee, cappuccino type juices. She's on her third coil already.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Ml's is a more accurate measure of head longevity.
If you vape 3ml per day I'd consider it very disappointing if a head only lasts two weeks.
Dark or colored and especially sweet juices tend to clog wicking material & gunk coils rapidly.

Please,,, don't quote one sentence of a post out of context.

Reactions: Susan~S

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome jamesnew :)

I run my Nauti coils differently depending on what juice and how new the coil is. I will ALWAYS start low (after priming the coil really well) and then work my way up to what TASTES BEST to ME.

There is NO hard and fast rule on what wattage to run YOUR coils. Just because Joe-Schmoe says he runs his at 19.5 means that's what will work for YOU....

(Lots of fried coils finally taught me that ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread