Way off topic, but I need help- How do you get a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously- I need to do a website for the shooting complex, and all I know is 'go daddy' and I tried them once years ago and it was not easy, and it was kinda expensive..

How do I do a website? How much do they cost? I can do some HTML, and use all the office publisher stuff, and make newsletters and all that- whats the chances of doing my own?

anyone wanna do some pro bono work? LOL Just kidding, but really any ideas would be MOST welcome!!

Sallana, isnt this your forte? can you point me in the right direction?

dark, I have a facebook page- matter of fact thats how I have gotten most of my support is through facebook :) its been a real blesssing.

But, you know you have those folks who HATE facebook, and want a 'real website'- so they can keep up with and go to a page to look for stuff.

I have a blog, a newsletter and a facebook page- but, Now I need to do a website I guess. LOL

Lox and Chelle2 Thanks I will check into those today :)

Enid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Greenville, SC
I have a suggestion. Ask on facebook, church and your local high school teachers for a student who could donate his/her time to make a custom website and then, as the non-profit, write a glowing letter of recommendation for said student. Kids always need to list volunteer activities on college applications. If you find the right teacher, with a technology based class, they may allow it to be used for credit.

At the library, I've seen kids creating fake websites for class. I don't see why it couldn't be for a non-profit.

Last edited:

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
first you buy a domain name. I use namecheap.com..........then you secure hosting. just google website hosting. I actually got hosting by host gator & paid $5 for the entire year by purchasing it on fiverr.com

fiverr.com is a place where people post different gigs & stuff that they will do for just $5. You may even find someone willing to do an index.html for you while you are searching fiverr. There are lots of sites like fiverr. The other one I use is called tenbux..........people post gigs that they will do for $10. Come to think of it, i've actually got alot of cool stuff off fiverr.com. Best of luck Chelle! That's awesome that you have your own shooting complex! The next time we are at the state park we will have to stop in to bust off a few rounds :)

Thanks everyone!!!

and I never thought about community service- not sure our kids have to do that to graduate...

I am in the process of working on it now- we ended up going with godaddy- they could take the $ out of a buisiness checking account and some of the others couldnt. and truth be told, it was just easier- they have an 'idiot site' that pretty much does the entire thing for you. dont even have to do FTP LOL

I dont have it done, and I am fixing to turn it over to someone else to finish- but I started it- Home Page

someone with more gigs per month will have to finish it up. I am about at my limit and still have till the 22nd before it starts over.

Sadly, I dont have an ISP perse- I have verizon- I used to have my own website with my old ISP. and it wasnt hard to build, but thats been years-

But I am going to check out that fiverr thing- that sounds pretty cool -

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
Q4 - looks much better than when I looked at 1pm!

Just a suggestion - because of all the creepers and wackos out there - you may want to remove your phone number. The "contact us" form should be enough. And when you get time, where it says find us on face book - give the name of the face book page (and link if you can)

You can give your number out to anyone after you've had initial contact.

You'll have to let him know what you want the site to do/have.

Last edited:

QBass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
spooning the Trinity River in Texas
Hey Q4K, you might be better off using a CMS (content management system) to build the site. Some of them are extremely easy to administer and many have very easy design/templating systems as well. I'm not sure you'd want to start with a full blown Drupal or Joomla site, but there are a ton of offerings to choose from. You could check out opensourcecms.com or cmsmatrix.org to test drive live installations of most of the popular ones and see if it's something you'd be interested in. You can even use Wordpress pretty successfully now as a content driven site that is uber-simple to maintain. Good luck and have fun! :D

Qbass- okay - I understood 'good luck and have fun'.... LOL I Still forget to let word center stuff for me, and count it out myself like we had to do in Typing class back in school.... And I have been using word since 97! LOL I dont think I am THAT advanced! LOL

Thanks Dark!! :)

and yeah- I know about the phone number- but, so many folks are local, and to be honest, its all over my facebook (for my cake business and for the complex) , on thousands of flyers, trifolds, business cards (even the OTHER board members business cards- I am SOOOO gonna have to get the complex its own cell phone .... LOL) , the goverments websites (for incorporation), gets put on 5 radio stations on a regular basis in a larger city and there aint no telling where else.. LOL

PLus, if weirdo's are less offensive than the bill collectors I will be just fine... LOL

Now, my issue with the facebook thing- everytime I try to put the button, it goes to asking me for 'permissions' which would be fine, if it wasnt trying to get permission for MY page... LOL I do draw the line at that- I tend to offend folks and its a business.... ;-) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread