What is the difference between a nano and a micro?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by photon9, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. photon9

photon9 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Just like the title asks. I'm familiar with what a micro is. What makes a coil a nano coil... How is it different than a micro?

2. MasterofNone

MasterofNone Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Internal diameter. Nano is smaller. Both are wrap- touching coils

3. Christopherja

Christopherja Senior Member ECF Veteran

Well, OP, there's not really any consensus on it methinks.

I've found that, generally, people tend to call any coil below 1.7mm in diameter a 'micro'.

I don't know if there's any close consensus on 'nano' - though I consider my 1.2mm coils 'nano'.

On the other hand, now that RIPTripper is apparently wrapping coils around 28g Kanthal...what are we to call those?!

4. Ragajefe

Ragajefe Full Member

I've seen a couple vids and most nano coils I've seen have the wick wrapped around the coil instead of thru the coil considering the i-d to be much smaller than that of a micro build

5. MasterofNone

That I believe is a dragon build, and yes usually done with a nano

6. Ragajefe

Ragajefe Full Member

I think the next move up is a pica
    Considering micro to be one size nano to be the next size and pica to be that above the nano hahaha

7. backitdown

backitdown Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I believe the Masterofnone has it correct. Nano is very small diameter both have the coils squeezed so they touch each other.
    I have been wrong before- and likely will be again.

8. hobbes4

hobbes4 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

IMO, micro coils are still big enough to have the cotton wick go through the inside of the coil where as nano coils are so small they sit on top of a cotton bed.

9. MasterofNone

I believe the cotton bed ones are called a "la-z coil" build

;)

10. photon9

Oh snap! Nano (or dragon?) might be the perfect application of my 2mm Ekowool! Next build, next build... tonight!

11. Nataani

Nataani Moved On

Sadly all the terminology is varied and very confusing.

"Micro" has also become synonymous with contact, where the coils are touching. Even when building large diameter contact coils, people still refer to them as micro. Making the word completely misleading.

Nano was just a name made up to appear to be something different. Its just a smaller diameter coil, which is also built in the contact fashion. There is no consensus on what constitutes a nano coil, or a micro coil.

12. Nataani

Nataani Moved On

This would probably be a very good way to distinguish between the two.

13. Nataani

Nataani Moved On

Probably not, nano coils pretty much require that your going to use cotton balls, as anything else would not be pliable enough to wrap the coil. Trying to shove the coil into ekowool would result in restricted airflow, which would end up burning your wick.

14. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

MasterofNone seems to be a coil master. Nice job!

15. photon9

bummer :(:(:(

16. MasterofNone

Let's see if we can work out the genesis of all these coils... Rebuilt, not the disposable. Rebuildable all started with what used to be a standard open spaced wrap around your wick of choice....

Stainless steel mesh required oxidation, and the inherent shorts led to pulsing on the mod...

Than came the Petar K method of wrapping off the wick on a same diameter drill bit,slipping the wick in and pulsing to oxidize after.

Sub ohm ( less wraps for more wattage) was and is big, giving a warmth and flavor many couldn't find otherwise.

At some point after this, someone took a look at their disposable HH357 and the design of that coil, and started thinking about heat transfer and lots of science engineeringy stuff... And built a micro coil. Tiny inner diameter with wraps touching or nearly touching...getting great heat transfer and awesome flavor and cloud in a low ohm or higher build.

Cotton as a cheap and easy wick, flourished in this environment. Amazing people like superxdrifter perfected a super easy way to coil this, dark zero made his coil jig, making it next to impossible to get wrong.

Than came the people who like to play, trying even smaller diameter, trying a bed instead of an external wick, trying an externally wrapped wick around the coil. But all in all for ease if build and deliciousness of vape, touching-wraps has become pretty standard. In my opinion, anything over 1/16 ID I would consider a Macro coil.

Anyone want to add to this, correct me, fight over names, or add links to important pieces to the puzzle? A lot if this happened here on the forums.

17. Craig_B

Craig_B Senior Member ECF Veteran

.055 micro or nano. Just curious!

18. MasterofNone

That sounds itty bitty... But I have NO IDEA... Lol sorry if you have a fraction equivalent I could take a guess haha

I'm really no expert... Just like history :) lol

19. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  20. MasterofNone

Awesome! So glad you showed up to the party :) and saving that pic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.