What is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I just don't see how anyone can resist the never ending search for the ultimate Vape. I'm already past what's available so built my own Mega mod, ten 100W mods wired in parallel for a total of 1 kilowatt of vaping power. Wear it in a backpack wired to a 2 inch homemade SS tank with three quad coil heads and a 1/2 inch galvanized pipe for a drip tip. If you see a cloud drifting down the street say hello.:evil:

lol ... you must look like the Ghost Buster's team with your plasma goo gun

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    I just don't see how anyone can resist the never ending search for the ultimate Vape. I'm already past what's available so built my own Mega Mod, ten 100W mods wired in parallel for a total of 1 kilowatt of vaping power. Wear it in a backpack wired to a 2 inch homemade SS tank with three quad coil heads and a 1/2 inch galvanized pipe for a drip tip. If you see a cloud drifting down the street say hello.:evil:

LOL, uhoh, looks like Phil Busardo's Legal Vape 4000 has some competition here :lol:

Reactions: David Wolf

towelie

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2014
    In a cloud
    Im jealous of newbs....the .... you buy now just works. Back in the day you had to modify your ce4s for them to function....period. at the very least this meant purchasing kanthal, cotton balls and drilling out the 510.

Oh yeah dont forget to tip it or youll get a burnt hit lmfao, nothin like the old school.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere out there
    Everyone on the forum and everywhere else keeps throwing around words like "upgrade" and "next step".

Not everyone does that. Some of us have found our happy vape place and just stay out of the equipment threads now. That's why you don't see us, there's no point in joining debates over gear updates when what we've got now is perfectly fine.

You can be happy with what you like and find other areas of interest. Maybe exploring e-liquids, maybe DIY, maybe coil-building, maybe legislation and advocacy, maybe none of that and just hang out on social threads. ECF is a huge forum, thankfully large enough to have a place for nearly every interest.

I don't know about "everywhere else", I sometimes try reading other forums, blogs, whatever and usually they bore me and I'm right back to ECF.

newplague

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I found the device that works for me back in 2011, a Reo Grand. Does it cost more then $100? Sure it does. Do I have more then 1? Yup, they just work. I have had no issues with my Reos in over 4 years. Like someone pointed to earlier, I've been vaping a long time and have saved a ton of money. I don't mind splurging once in a blue moon.

Reactions: Wow1420

CrazyChef

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 9, 2015
    Worcester, MA USA
    I just don't see how anyone can resist the never ending search for the ultimate Vape. I'm already past what's available so built my own Mega Mod, ten 100W mods wired in parallel for a total of 1 kilowatt of vaping power. Wear it in a backpack wired to a 2 inch homemade SS tank with three quad coil heads and a 1/2 inch galvanized pipe for a drip tip. If you see a cloud drifting down the street say hello.:evil:
    Here - I think these wil give you the clouds that you are seeking:

409271604_371.jpg

Don't forget to re-wick:
    hqdefault.jpg

realsis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2014
    California
    This isn't really to start a major threat. I just have to make my 5 posts so I can reply and question elsewhere on other threads.

But here is my question. What really is the point in upgrading to the expensive mods? Everyone on the forum and everywhere else keeps throwing around words like "upgrade" and "next step". They act like if you have been vaping for more than 2 months then you HAVE TO upgrade your gear like life is some competition for who has the best mod, or it world like some RPG where you have to keep going to the next better thing or you're just not going to make it. Ok if you are into the competition stuff to see who can puff the biggest cloud. Fine that's what you're into and I can see how you might want to stay on top of what stuff works better for that.

But for me it isn't about being a fanboy of "authentic" equipment, or being some sort of loyal stooge to the local vaping community hanging out in the vapor shop talking about the latest piece of pointless metal that I just dropped 300 bucks on and pretending that it works any better than the one I got a week ago for 275. I got into this because e-juice is cheaper than buying 3 packs of smokes a day at 9 bucks a pack. So I'm certainly not going to spend 300 dollars, 200 dollars or even 100 dollars on something just to puff vapor. I don't even like the idea of spending 40-50. So why does everyone seem to think that if you're not keeping up with what the next guy has then you;re just not a serious vaper. That's like saying that if you're not spending 200 a week on cigarettes then you're not a serious smoker. And if you really want to be serious you need to "upgrade" to fine cogniac dipped hand rolled cuban cigars for 150 dollars a piece. Or maybe get into artisan limited run pipe tobacco for 1500 dollars an ounce and smoke it in a 250,000 dollar anteaque ivory and 24 karat gold pipe.
    Let's get real. If my ego type battery and cheap single coil plastic atomizer satisfies me, then that's my business. I'm getting sick of asking a decent battery that lasts longer than 4 hours on a charge, and having people point me toward a 40-60 dollar box that doesn't support any of my other stuff to go with it, so I'll end up having to get a whole new setup and still pay 100 bucks I can't afford. As for the mods. the only advantage I see is that the battery is removable, so when it fails to hold a charge I just get another battery. But then I still have to buy the expensive charger, and expensive spare batteries. Yes for me 30 bucks for a battery charger and 30 bucks a pop for batteries is way too expensive. I got in this to save money. Not spend the same amount of money on toys to play with. Especially when you have the "authentic" fanboys on one side telling you that if you buy anything but an authentic you will regret it when it breaks in a week. Or that some tiny issue like the button rattling because it doesn't fit as snug is just such a major game ender for buying the cheap knock off. And then on the other side of the equation people saying the clones are just as good if not sometimes better. In the end I don't know who to believe and I don't have thousands of dollars to buy one of everything and compare on my own. Besides that all the vapor shops around here are two categories. Authentic only and you can't get anything less than 100 bucks. And the ejuice cost 15 bucks for the cheapest stuff, and only goes up from there for a little 10ml bottle that will last me about a week.
    Or the generic smoke shop type places that don't sell anything but the clone knockoffs and sure they are less than the authentics but still 2 to 3 times what you can buy it online for. And their ejuice stinks, tastes bad, and still costs anywhere from 7-10 dollars for a 15ml bottle. If I listen to the people online and only buy the most expensive stuff cause it "supports the little guy" then I would be spending more than what I spent on cigarettes.
    I hate to sound self centered but I got into this to help myself. Screw the little guy, and screw supporting america when america won't support itself. 95% of everything we buy here is made in china anyway all the american companies outsource to china. No matter what you do china gets a slice of the pie somehow. The only difference is that instead of directly supporting a chinese company you are supporting a greedy american company that outsorces all it's manufacturing to china so that it can put the markup into it's own pocket and charge you twice as much for the same chinese made stuff.
    As far as this rant goes I have been looking for a variable voltage battery at a reasonable price without buying a clone and I can't do it. I have searched the web and ebay and amazon and everywhere else for weeks and all I am finding are clones. Even the ones claiming to be authentic turn out to be clones when you really look into it. Vision's own website has pictures for what is different from the clone to the original, and then when you click on their own products the pictures show the same white lettering and miss spaced voltage markings. Their own pictures look exactly like the pictures of the clones and don't even look like their picture of what the original should look like on their how to tell the difference page.
    From what I can tell the only differences between the originals and the clones are tiny little nit picky things like what color the letters should be, or this dial marker is a little higher up on the battery. All the reviews I seen of the originals have the same issues as the clones and aren't made any better at all.

Lets stop being fanboys here and talk about what is important. Not smoking death sticks AKA cigarettes, and start giving people encentive to not smoke them. If I knew I would be spending hundreds of dollars just to get a vaping setup I would have just bought a couple cartons of smokes and called it a day. At least with those I don't have to hear a bunch of stuff about "clones vs authentics", and "vaping on the next level" like everyone who's into this just got into it so they could blow the biggest cloud, or brag about how expensive their toys are. I just want a cheaper healthier way to get my nicotine fix. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hi for me personally, I have been smoke free for a year and a half and I NEEDED to upgrade because I had learned more and more information and was then able to make a BETTER and more EDUCATED decision on my vaping equipment and what I WANTED out of that equipment. Yes, staying smoke free IS the number one goal , however, I started wanting to get better FLAVOR out of my vape. I became TIRED of cheap leaky tanks that did NOT produce or perform like I wanted. as I learned more I had a different need. I began building my own coils and purchased RTAs. once I tasted the difference, I knew I'd found what I was searching for. However my unit needed to be upgraded for my RTAS to function properly. This is why I upgraded and still upgrade. it isn't a matter of "keeping up with the Jones" so to speak. it's a matter of learning and growing and preferences changing. This is why most speak of upgrades. There is a ENORMOUSLY HUGE difference in the QUALITY of the vape from when I first started to now after upgrades. That is why people upgrade. for a BETTER vaping experience. NOT to out do one another. although it may seem that way, it's really NOT AT ALL for competition . it's just learning and growing. I hope this helps you understand. best wishes

LuNar

ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2014
    Hays KS
    This isn't really to start a major threat. I just have to make my 5 posts so I can reply and question elsewhere on other threads.

But here is my question. What really is the point in upgrading to the expensive mods? Everyone on the forum and everywhere else keeps throwing around words like "upgrade" and "next step". They act like if you have been vaping for more than 2 months then you HAVE TO upgrade your gear like life is some competition for who has the best mod, or it world like some RPG where you have to keep going to the next better thing or you're just not going to make it. Ok if you are into the competition stuff to see who can puff the biggest cloud. Fine that's what you're into and I can see how you might want to stay on top of what stuff works better for that.

But for me it isn't about being a fanboy of "authentic" equipment, or being some sort of loyal stooge to the local vaping community hanging out in the vapor shop talking about the latest piece of pointless metal that I just dropped 300 bucks on and pretending that it works any better than the one I got a week ago for 275. I got into this because e-juice is cheaper than buying 3 packs of smokes a day at 9 bucks a pack. So I'm certainly not going to spend 300 dollars, 200 dollars or even 100 dollars on something just to puff vapor. I don't even like the idea of spending 40-50. So why does everyone seem to think that if you're not keeping up with what the next guy has then you;re just not a serious vaper. That's like saying that if you're not spending 200 a week on cigarettes then you're not a serious smoker. And if you really want to be serious you need to "upgrade" to fine cogniac dipped hand rolled cuban cigars for 150 dollars a piece. Or maybe get into artisan limited run pipe tobacco for 1500 dollars an ounce and smoke it in a 250,000 dollar anteaque ivory and 24 karat gold pipe.
    Let's get real. If my ego type battery and cheap single coil plastic atomizer satisfies me, then that's my business. I'm getting sick of asking a decent battery that lasts longer than 4 hours on a charge, and having people point me toward a 40-60 dollar box that doesn't support any of my other stuff to go with it, so I'll end up having to get a whole new setup and still pay 100 bucks I can't afford. As for the mods. the only advantage I see is that the battery is removable, so when it fails to hold a charge I just get another battery. But then I still have to buy the expensive charger, and expensive spare batteries. Yes for me 30 bucks for a battery charger and 30 bucks a pop for batteries is way too expensive. I got in this to save money. Not spend the same amount of money on toys to play with. Especially when you have the "authentic" fanboys on one side telling you that if you buy anything but an authentic you will regret it when it breaks in a week. Or that some tiny issue like the button rattling because it doesn't fit as snug is just such a major game ender for buying the cheap knock off. And then on the other side of the equation people saying the clones are just as good if not sometimes better. In the end I don't know who to believe and I don't have thousands of dollars to buy one of everything and compare on my own. Besides that all the vapor shops around here are two categories. Authentic only and you can't get anything less than 100 bucks. And the ejuice cost 15 bucks for the cheapest stuff, and only goes up from there for a little 10ml bottle that will last me about a week.
    Or the generic smoke shop type places that don't sell anything but the clone knockoffs and sure they are less than the authentics but still 2 to 3 times what you can buy it online for. And their ejuice stinks, tastes bad, and still costs anywhere from 7-10 dollars for a 15ml bottle. If I listen to the people online and only buy the most expensive stuff cause it "supports the little guy" then I would be spending more than what I spent on cigarettes.
    I hate to sound self centered but I got into this to help myself. Screw the little guy, and screw supporting america when america won't support itself. 95% of everything we buy here is made in china anyway all the american companies outsource to china. No matter what you do china gets a slice of the pie somehow. The only difference is that instead of directly supporting a chinese company you are supporting a greedy american company that outsorces all it's manufacturing to china so that it can put the markup into it's own pocket and charge you twice as much for the same chinese made stuff.
    As far as this rant goes I have been looking for a variable voltage battery at a reasonable price without buying a clone and I can't do it. I have searched the web and ebay and amazon and everywhere else for weeks and all I am finding are clones. Even the ones claiming to be authentic turn out to be clones when you really look into it. Vision's own website has pictures for what is different from the clone to the original, and then when you click on their own products the pictures show the same white lettering and miss spaced voltage markings. Their own pictures look exactly like the pictures of the clones and don't even look like their picture of what the original should look like on their how to tell the difference page.
    From what I can tell the only differences between the originals and the clones are tiny little nit picky things like what color the letters should be, or this dial marker is a little higher up on the battery. All the reviews I seen of the originals have the same issues as the clones and aren't made any better at all.

Lets stop being fanboys here and talk about what is important. Not smoking death sticks AKA cigarettes, and start giving people encentive to not smoke them. If I knew I would be spending hundreds of dollars just to get a vaping setup I would have just bought a couple cartons of smokes and called it a day. At least with those I don't have to hear a bunch of stuff about "clones vs authentics", and "vaping on the next level" like everyone who's into this just got into it so they could blow the biggest cloud, or brag about how expensive their toys are. I just want a cheaper healthier way to get my nicotine fix. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I just like to buy shiny stuff and make some clouds. Lol it's a hobby now for me. I enjoy it.

This isn't really to start a major threat. I just have to make my 5 posts so I can reply and question elsewhere on other threads..
    I also am gathering points to post elsewhere, however I'm broadly in agreement with you in regards Clones vs Authentics, but in regards "if you're happy with an eGo" then I concur; my wife has stuck fast to her original tobacco flavored ejuice in 18mg and mouth to lung inhales; I have purchased an iStick, and have given her 2 MVPs but she still likes using clearomisers, although I've recently got her to move onto an Protank Mini, which she enjoys using. I've got shinyitus, but no money, so all the mods I have are either cheap clones from fleabay, or ones that I've won in giveaways; I'm currently using the Triton and the Smok GT, both won in the past 6 months. I make my own eliquid to save more pennies, and lung inhale at 3mg.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2012
    Finlad
    Im jealous of newbs....the .... you buy now just works. Back in the day you had to modify your ce4s for them to function....period. at the very least this meant purchasing kanthal, cotton balls and drilling out the 510.

Oh yeah dont forget to tip it or youll get a burnt hit lmfao, nothin like the old school.
    If you didn't play with Blue Foam you weren't in the old school.:D
    As far as the topic goes...
    No point, just lack of selfcontrol or bad case "So shiny, me wants".
    I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns, but it's different for everyone, alas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    If it works for you to stay smoke free and you are satisfied then stick with it, there is no reason for you to change no matter what anyone says. Statistics show the majority of vapers use set ups like yours, but, they do not work for everyone like they do for you to quit smoking or stay off the cigs so thankfully there is a large variety of gear out there for people to experiment with and find what does work for them.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    USA
    Some people want to, just like you don't want to. Neither is wrong. Enjoy what you like :)

PS -- you mentioned $30 for charger & $30 for each battery? Yeah no. From one thrifypennyperson/cloneattyuser to another, may I recommend illumn.com ... $5/ea for Samsung 25r, $14 for a 2bay nitecore charger, why pay more at a local store if online is much much cheaper ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread