Why does the new Aspire Atlantis V2 1.0 ohm coil need 40-50 w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8porism

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I have an Eleaf iStick 30 & use the Aspire Nautilus mini with it. I bought a Melo tank to try sub ohm vaping, but don't like it (Melo coil) at .5 ohm. I do, however, really like it when I slightly unscrew it & get a 1.2 ohm reading for it.

I'd like to try the new Atlantis V2 1.0 ohm for my Melo tank. Why does Aspire list the power requirements for the 1.0 ohm coil at 40-50 w? I'm assuming they mixed up the specs for the .5 ohm and 1.0 ohm. Is this correct?

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
the coil has the same resistance even if you trick the mod in to thinking different. What your accomplishing is not getting full power to the coil buy having poor contact the same thing can be done buy simply dropping the voltage a little. With out the risk of shorting your equipment via arking .

The watage stamps are just recommended settings vape it at what ever suits your taste.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
You can try it at lower power.

But most of the prebuilt stuff is trying to be relevant now that 50+ watt mods are more common.

not many people will buy a tank that can only handle 9 watts when their mod can push 150

In chinas eyes if that's what it takes to maybe get the sales that's the trend their going to follow

V8porism

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
the coil has the same resistance even if you trick the mod in to thinking different. What your accomplishing is not getting full power to the coil buy having poor contact the same thing can be done buy simply dropping the voltage a little. With out the risk of shorting your equipment via arking .

The watage stamps are just recommended settings vape it at what ever suits your taste.
I know I'm tricking it on purpose because I'm not digging the .5 ohm. It's really strange, though, because I get much more vapor at 20 w when it's loose (reading 1.2 ohm) than when I tighten it up, get .5 ohm & turn up the power to 30 w.

I'm still wondering why Aspire has the 1.0 Atlantis V2 coil listed at 40-50 w. It must be a typo.

Reactions: SissySpike

V8porism

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
You can try it at lower power.

But most of the prebuilt stuff is trying to be relevant now that 50+ watt mods are more common.

not many people will buy a tank that can only handle 9 watts when their mod can push 150

In chinas eyes if that's what it takes to maybe get the sales that's the trend their going to follow
I'm still wondering if there is a typo in their specs. Shouldn't the 1.0 ohm be rated for 20w and above? I know lots of folks want to use their iStick 20s with the Atlantis and Melo tanks & have made requests for 1.0 ohm coils for that reason.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
Here's what is happening. You have your power source set to 20 watts. The resistance on the coil is .5. To get to 20 watts on a .5 ohm coil takes about 3.17 volts. When it "mistakenly" sees 1.2 ohms for 20 watts, it delivers 4.9 volts to achieve 20 watts. Delivering 4.9 volts to a .5 ohm coil is actually 48 watts. The device thinks it is 20, but it isn't because of the mistaken resistance.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm still wondering if there is a typo in their specs. Shouldn't the 1.0 ohm be rated for 20w and above? I know lots of folks want to use their iStick 20s with the Atlantis and Melo tanks & have made requests for 1.0 ohm coils for that reason.

It depends on the details of the coil.

Maybe it's a 24 gauge kanthal single coil; 24 gauge needs about 45 watts per ohm.
Or it could be a 28 gauge kanthal dual coil - that's 4 ohms of coil total; 28 gauge needs about 10 watts per ohm.

V8porism

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's no typo. The .5 coil is basically the same as the original Atlantis. The. 3 is for the cloud chasers and the 1.0 was trying to outdo The Kanger Subtank for flavor. I'm a Herakles man myself. I traded my Atlantis 2 for a Subtank

After looking at it again, I'm pretty sure it's a typo. They have .3 at 70-80w, .5 ohm at 20-30w and 1.0 at 40-50w. The .5 should need at least 30w.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I wonder if the difference is because the newer coils that come with the Atlantis 2 has larger wick holes than the coils for the Atlantis 1. Looking at the coils and comparing them side by side, it looks like the wick holes are double the size.

20150504_094757.jpg

The Atlantis 0.5 ohm coil on the left, the Atlantis 2 0.3 ohm coil on the right. With the better wicking ability, you should be able to fire it at higher wattages.

V8porism

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
No I promise you it's not a typo. It says this same wattage on the coils themselves. The .5 is like the original I couldn't go above 30 with it without a burnt taste. I had the .3 at 80 watts fine. It's pretty common wattage for the resistance

I hope they fire up on my istick 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ohm Gnome
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread