1.8 or 2.2 or?? Can you tell w/o a meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
Is there any marking or difference in appearance for Evod coils/heads so that you can tell them apart? I think may have gotten some different ones, actually I'm sure some are 2.2s and some 1.8s are in the mix (don't ask.) It really isn't killing me to not know, but sometimes I'm getting a real difference on my ego bats on different Evods and I think it may be the ohms on the coils. They all are looking the same to me.....

There is probably a voltage meter/s in DH's ToolBoxOfTheGods in the garage (he was a certified master mechanic, you would not believe the size of the thing - took a lift truck to get it home from the shop when he passed) but even if I knew what it was when I saw it, don't think I'd know what to do with it any way. :)

Eventually I'll just end up with all 2.2s during the replacment process as I'm not into rebuilding and all, just wondered if there was any way to tell. Oh - my batteries are all straight egos, one vv that doesn't tell you anything other than what voltage you have moved it up/down to so they are no help!

If the answer is 'nope, you're right, look just the same', that will satisfy my curiosity - TIA!

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
You'll have to look VERY carefully...

Take off the silicone cap and the metal post on the top of the head. Look inside carefully. 2.2 ohm heads will have either more wraps than 1.8 ohm, or be made with thicker wire.

Doesn't really tell you what the resistance is, but you can at least tell if they're not the same.

If you're a good taster, you can probably turn the voltage way, way down on the VV ego: the lower resistance head will work better.

If you don't mind destroying them, crank up the voltage on the VV ego: the lower resistance will pop first :p

Get to that tool box and grab anything with a screen or dial, wire test leads, and an ohm/Omega symbol on it. That's probably a multimeter.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
You'll have to look VERY carefully...

If you don't mind destroying them, crank up the voltage on the VV ego: the lower resistance will pop first :p

Get to that tool box and grab anything with a screen or dial, wire test leads, and an ohm/Omega symbol on it. That's probably a multimeter.

LOLOL! Destroying them sounds like the quickest way to find out to me. And I have lots of things with screens and dials and wires...I even have something that shoots a laser into vents to measure the temperature coming out....good times to be had with that, I can tell ya. :) So, would it be bigger than a breadbox? In it's own little/big/ginormous box? (I can pretty much rule out the things with handles, the air sockets both large and small, and the odd mayhem-producing looking things with long electrical cords - right? Honestly, this tool box is neater than my kitchen - drawers and drawers of things all neatly laid out.)

Seriously, tho, thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I think I may just let it go...it's not such a huge difference after all, it just made me wonder how a body could tell if you didn't just trust your vendor or the box - or got them all mixed up like I did.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Multimeters can be big, but your average basic one is about the size of two playing cards next to each other and about as thick as two decks. Big ones can be tabletop models that aren't even meant to be carried.

It would have a dial to choose whether you're checking resistance, voltage, current, etc. It probably takes a 9V battery.

You're right: it's not a huge deal, 2.2 to 1.8. They're pretty close. If I was making my own coil and aiming for 2.0 I'd be happy with 2.2 or 1.8 and think nothing of it.

EDIT: I know! Take a picture of all the electronic-looking things, and we can play "Where's Multimeter?"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread