Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My info supposedly comes from Andy Wan Himself. here is some more info on the other batteries.

IMR18490 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 1100mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 15C
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

This comes from another Vapor Forum. Since I didn't hear it from Andy Wan personally we can say this is speculation as well I guess.

Yes, same thing I got from CPF. If it was not for all those 8 C instances, I would be convinced.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Good Day to all. So to the best of my research, I own both the AW and Efest Imr 18490. By all my research I have concluded these two batteries are to be considered viable for 8A of output. I do not use sub ohm coils (rather high voltage that is adjustable and high amperage when the need arises).... This is one site that has verified tests for batteries, and most of them comply with the rating and math associated with each particular cell> Battery test-review 18650 curves all ......

Now if you are considering using any cell at or beyond its capacity, Don't. These cells are volatile by nature. Yes some are "safer" but that like saying dynamite is safer than pure nitroglycerine ...... yes safer but still outright dangerous. If you must have 40watts of output be certain that your battery in your device is capable of safely producing 25-50% more output than you require(my personal rule). Many things can go awry in any device, do you realize that as any battery is drained, the amperage capacity falls off as well?

If you cant find a verified test to compare the battery you are considering, do not use that battery. The reasoning is simple really. If you don't know without a doubt that the battery can do what you are going to ask it to do a few hundred times per day, find one that you know for certain will.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thank you Iusedtoanalog. Great resource you linked to and I totally agree with your assessment on battery choices. I like to have 100% more capacity than I require, but that's just me. I know that's not a guaranty I will be safe and that a hard short, well, is a hard short and is not addressed by this. I feel it's nice to have though.

DuffTime

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
United States
Sooner or later someone will have a bad accident with sub ohm vaping, it's only a matter of time. When that happens everyone that vapes will have to pay the price because of the negative press and bans that will follow. So how is it that you think that sub ohm vaping, by anyone, has no effect on you or me?

.... only goes so far, we each also have the right to say someone's actions effect us. So I'll speak out against those actions. This goes hand & hand with the attitude of "I'll vape anywhere I want", and what that has already done to some of us. (you can't vape anywhere you can't smoke in Utah) 2012 UT HB-245

I want to be a smart vaper, since you say sub ohm is stupid. So I should only wrap or buy coils above whatever resistance you say is safe. But wait! Watch what liquid you use! Oops! Don't use silica wick! And so forth.

According to your thought, pretty soon we'll all be shoehorned into something that fills a very small niche spot and isn't satisfying to the majority of people.

You do raise a semi valid point. At some point or another, the potential exists for someone to hurt themselves due to poor safety practices. But those problems exist everywhere. Remember the Smoktech Groove, those bad eGo batteries, that lavatube way back when?

You do, however, go about voicing your opinion in a very unprofessional manner. Why would you call sub-ohm stupid? It's a great way to provide a fantastic vape, when done safely. Why not spend your time trying to influence safe vaping, instead of trying to force someone into things where they might not be happy?

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Not everyone here came from ciggies, mostly light ones. Some of us are pipe or cigar smokers. I use the verb, "are" because I had no intention of never smoking my stash of these, but now only as an occasional treat instead of a several times a day practice. Pipe or cigar smoke is much thicker and heavier--one can feel the weight of the smoke on the tongue. Although one doesn't inhale it into the lungs, one gets a tremendous nicotine hit, particularly with a large ring gauge cigar or wide-bowled pipe. In my considerable pipe/cigar experience, it takes sub-ohm coils with 24+ mg juice to simulate this and give the same satisfaction. A 0.5Ω coil is even better than the best 60 ring gauge cigar, with maybe 0.6Ω - 0.7Ω being average. These are safe with most IMR batteries. So there IS a valid purpose for sub-ohm coils for some of us--it isn't done just to impress. Back to the subject at hand, 18490s.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Sub ohm vaping is just plain stupid!

'nuf said

Sooner or later someone will have a bad accident with sub ohm vaping, it's only a matter of time. When that happens everyone that vapes will have to pay the price because of the negative press and bans that will follow. So how is it that you think that sub ohm vaping, by anyone, has no effect on you or me?

.... only goes so far, we each also have the right to say someone's actions effect us. So I'll speak out against those actions. This goes hand & hand with the attitude of "I'll vape anywhere I want", and what that has already done to some of us. (you can't vape anywhere you can't smoke in Utah) 2012 UT HB-245

I want to be a smart vaper, since you say sub ohm is stupid. So I should only wrap or buy coils above whatever resistance you say is safe. But wait! Watch what liquid you use! Oops! Don't use silica wick! And so forth.

According to your thought, pretty soon we'll all be shoehorned into something that fills a very small niche spot and isn't satisfying to the majority of people.

You do raise a semi valid point. At some point or another, the potential exists for someone to hurt themselves due to poor safety practices. But those problems exist everywhere. Remember the Smoktech Groove, those bad eGo batteries, that lavatube way back when?

You do, however, go about voicing your opinion in a very unprofessional manner. Why would you call sub-ohm stupid? It's a great way to provide a fantastic vape, when done safely. Why not spend your time trying to influence safe vaping, instead of trying to force someone into things where they might not be happy?

What DuffTime said ^^^^ :thumbs:.

Sub-ohm bashing is becoming a sport here with a lot of otherwise knowledgeable people. IMO the real issue is people using unsafe vaping practices. 0.9 ohms and 0.1 ohms are both sub-ohm. One is likely quite safe and the other is likely quite dangerous. People who do not understand the difference do the vaping community no benefit by voicing inaccurate information. People are smart enough to understand the correct information when it is presented to them. It's really the person who does not have accurate information who may vape unsafely and put the whole community at risk.

xan13x

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
USA
You live in a state where enough vapers didn't come together to block legislation and a law got passed banning you from vaping in public. Conservatives without E cig education have tried that move unsuccessfully in numerous states because of the uniting of vapers taking defensive action to block such crap laws. It has nothing to do with "sub ohm" vaping or batteries blowing up. Instead of whining about useless issues , why don't you put your energy in to regaining your right to vape? Either that or move! Because , yeah your absolutely right you can say whatever you want with "freedom of speech" , but nobody gives a rats azz about your opinion! Calling people idiots for using sub ohm coils , yeah that should get the world to stop doing that. lol brilliant
Whoa whoa whoa.... Conservatives? Maybe you mean Republicans... Most of this nanny state BS is being pushed by liberals(read Michael Bloomberg today actually) or "insert party here" who thinks they need another stream of revenue.

Conservatives usually only get in nanny state mode when it comes to terrorists... but there again, it seems like the other side does now too.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Sooner or later someone will have a bad accident with sub ohm vaping, it's only a matter of time.

Any newbie who doesn't understand safe vaping could put a 1.8ohm store-bought atty on their PV, turn it up to 6+ volts, and find themselves in the same situation.

There's a reason ego batts and the like only go to 4.8 and have protections. :)

Sub-ohm bashing is becoming a sport here with a lot of otherwise knowledgeable people. IMO the real issue is people using unsafe vaping practices.

I think the combination of "fad" vaping with unsafe practices is the cultprit. Conversely, there are enough people who know their way around a battery, C-ratings, and all the "numbers" who can safely do plenty of things that mere mortals can't do. :)

It's like the difference between putting a scalpel in the hands of a trained neurosurgeon or putting the scalpel in the hands of someone with no knowedge, and then letting them move toward your spinal cord with it.

The problem is not technology, it's the fact that so many people *don't do their homework". That has to be factored in, in ANY discussion on public topic specific forum. I say this because I often see the repeat after me phenomena at work on forums, this one, too.

We have people giving out medical advice when a new vaper has problems, giving them the "what happens when you quit smoking" symptoms lists. One day, THAT willl kill somebody. Because somebody will be having a heart attack and not know it, and it will be unrelated to vaping or smoking. I call it the shampoo, rinse, repeat meme.

If more people spoke only of what they know about, spoke about what they know to be true based on experiences (thank you Buckminster Fuller) then things would work out better . (Mr. Fuller took a vow of silence and washed his head of all the stuff he had "been told" by parents, other people, teachers etc, and decided he would only speak about that which he himself had directly experienced---i.e. only what he himself knew to be true).

Anyway, plenty of untrue stuff gets repeated on forums. Some of it is rather entertaining, to say the least. :lol:

So, the final answer is that the responsibility lies with the person doing the act --- I do think that veterans CAN add (as often as possible) add little note in some of our posts that sub ohm vaping is not for someobdy who doesn't understand shorts, battery safety, etc.

I've tried my best to admonish people from leaving {cheap knockoff} Li-oNs on their (cheap, unsafe) chargers all night while they sleep, but am often told by people who know nothing about batts or chargers that I"m an idiot.

And that does not bother me at all. I did my due dilligence to inform, and that is all I care about. :)

Why not spend your time trying to influence safe vaping, instead of trying to force someone into things where they might not be happy?

I like that philosophy, always felt it was better to go toward that which you like/believe in (be for peace, rather than against war) for instance. Always a better outcome, and less nastiness.

Note to xan13x: your continual insertion of worn out political memes into vaping topics is getting old and boring. There is a Lounge area here, and Outside forums, where those things can be discussed, instead of hijacking vaping topics to drive your political views

Last edited:

JJAJ1988

Feb 19, 2013
ohio
[/FONT][/COLOR]

What is the amp capacity of the 18490 AW IMR? Anyone know? Does anyone even care? Is that size battery safe to use for sub ohm realistically?

I don't know. Someone show me why it is.

i was told 10 amps from alt smoke but someone on here also said 8 amps im not sure but i have been using it on a .33 ohm coil (11.1 amps, 41.5 watts) and the batterey does not get warm. i have been doing some test to see how much i can push it to figure out the safe zone, with continuous and burst capabilities. i am doing this under precautions and you should not try this yourself, i am expierenced in this field , do so at your own risk. that said i will let you know how it turns out

Last edited:

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I don't sub-ohm, but the AW 18490's are indeed good batteries. If charged properly & not drained too deep & not overcharged (TrustFire chargers will fry these), they'll hold up for a long time.

In the battery section of this forum, there's an in depth article in regards to IMR batteries & AW is highly recommended. However, watch out for fake ones, those that comes from the Albania supply chain are likely to be counterfeit. If purchasing from eBay sellers, always ask whom their supplier is before purchasing, especially if the price seems to be too good to be true.

Two new AW 18490 IMR's for $12 shipped is just too cheap, I've seen several of these listings for these in pairs, pricing between $12 & $15. I wouldn't even waste my time to ask these sellers about the source.

Cat

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
OK, so there seems to be data confirming both numbers. How do we put this to rest?

ETA:

OK, so I did some more digging, trying to find something that was closer to AW himself making the claim and found nothing. I did come across this though: Wonderlight is a accessories supplier that sells through ECF here. Go to the second post titled 'Specs Here' and you will find the following:

'IMR18490 Specifications :
Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 1100mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 8C
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius'

So, another vote for the 8 C limit. I have no dog in this, but would really like to know what the limit is for these batts. If anyone has anything that could be taken as more factual, please post it :thumb:. Anyone know how to get in touch with AW?
Coming back to this thread late, but I did find the information "from the horse's mouth" so to speak. Andrew Wan (AW) states the AW 18490 IMR 1100 mAh battery has a 15 C rating. That works out to 16.5 amps continuous discharge rate.

IMR16340 / IMR14500 / IMR18350 / IMR18490 / IMR18650 / IMR26500 *Part 2*

Last edited:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Coming back to this thread late, but I did find the information "from the horse's mouth" so to speak. Andrew Wan (AW) states the AW 18490 IMR 1100 mAh battery has a 15 C rating. That works out to 16.5 amps continuous discharge rate.

IMR16340 / IMR14500 / IMR18350 / IMR18490 / IMR18650 / IMR26500 *Part 2*

I've just come across this thread myself. I'm debating on using the 18490 in my Stingray with a .83 ohm genesis coil. Safe? I know that AW IMR 18650's will handle .8 ohms, but I'm interested in what the 18490's can handle ohms wise. I'm not intending to go any lower than that with the 18490, because I'm staying as safe as I can.

Now according to the app on my phone, which I trust, this comes out to be 5.06 amps at 21.253 watts. Seem feasible no?

This calculation is with 4.2 volts at .83 ohms

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
So I remember reading how AW is.. do they make their own cells now, or do you know what the cell the 18490 is?

They (or he) doesn't make the batteries.... he just tests them and only wraps, packages, and sells the cells that test the best and meet his standards.

When it comes to 18500 size batteries, I rock the red Sanyo 20A's. There the bomb, 20amp continuos drain. Will blow away a AW 18500.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
They (or he) doesn't make the batteries.... he just tests them and only wraps, packages, and sells the cells that test the best and meet his standards.

When it comes to 18500 size batteries, I rock the red Sanyo 20A's. There the bomb, 20amp continuos drain. Will blow away a AW 18500.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

i do find it curious that you used "bomb and blow away" in this thread...

forgive me the explosion humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread