18650 battery Amp rating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwazydude

Sep 18, 2014
Fort Kent, ME
After looking at Steamengine's safe sub-ohm battery chart, my question is: I will soon be getting a Godbox, which uses three 18650's. Are the amp rating chart safety specs still applicable as if I were using just one 18650, or do I need to take into consideration that there are 3 of them? In other words, is the collective rating on three 30 amp batteries now 90 amps? If so, how can I calculate the safe ohm coil build?

Also, someone warned me that 18650's are not safe to use in mechanical mods. Steamengine indicates that IMR hybrids are OK there, but doesn't mention plain IMR's. Any comments?

Last edited:

WKS01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
NV
The box is parallel? Parallel increases amperage and mAh. So if your batteries are rated at 30 amps, then yes you have a 90 amp limit. It is essentially taking the load to fire the atomizer and splitting it into 3 batteries producing their own 30 amps each. For series, it is using the batteries to combine voltage. Hence 8.4v

Though theoretically the amp limit will increase to 90A with 3 30A cells in parallel, realistically this is not the case.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
The mod has the batteries in series. The total current runs through each battery .

All three batteries need to match, buy them together and keep them together. Check the voltage of each cell before and after charging and if there is a difference do not use them in the mod any more, you can use them in other mods with single or parallel batteries. I would not charge them in the mod, take them out and use a good charger.

Reactions: timinftl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread