18650 battery in the washer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

volta399

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Westmont, IL
So I forgot to take one of my AW IMR 18650 batts out of my pants pocket, and it spent about 10 minutes in the washer before I realized it was in there. Pulled it out, battery looks fine, but when I shook at a bunch of times, water came out the two little holes in the button top. If I left it dry out for a day or two, do you guys think it would be ok to use? Or should I just cut my loses and toss it? Anyone else wash their batts before?

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I let them dry for at least a week. Sealed rice filled container good. I charge watching closely when I'm home, mark it to watch, and test it a few times after using and after it comes off charger. I'v had a couple go through washer, too, although mine usually swim in other types of water. We aren’t the only ones to "wash" them.:D

I ONLY DO REVIVAL WITH IMR.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Li Ion batteries are sealed and pressurized, "venting" is due to heat, heat in a sealed container = pressure, too much pressure and you get a rupture and venting, washing shouldn't affect it...and putting it in rice is useless because as I said...they are sealed

Safety Concerns with Li-ion Batteries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Really good to know. Thanks. I think I once knew that but forgot but that's probably the reason I only do IMRs after swims and why I haven't worried about putting them directly back in "swimming" REOs and vaped on. (Actually I only use IMRs in all vaping and most tactical lights. Not sure what chemistry DH's Twist and Spinners are but none of them have gone swimming. Oh yeah, one did..... DH dropped one down the bathroom sink that stayed there for a couple of months. It went immedistely to recycle.)

When DH was using auto pen style 801 they would frequently get fouled by too frequent leaks. I soaked them in isopropyl (upside down in a glass half submerged, and high percentsge iso) and good blow out and drying and did revive a few.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
So far all of my swimming REOs have leapt into "waters" where they can be easily retrieved. NO REO FLOATS LOADED WITH BATTERY(S) AND JUICE. I haven't tested any of the low density Wood REOs, unloaded, though. If I were on a boat, or such, in deep waters I'd rig up floatation even if only a strong "baggie" with a chunk of Styrofoam or Styrofoam jacket. I don't like lanyards as they get caught on too many things in my daily activities. Usually in rough condition I either have on a heavy apron, with deep pockets or vest or pants with pockets that can be secured closed or various "tool" belts. Most of the year, here, minimal clothing required to keep cool which means few good, deep pockets in most female clothing.

Most REOS "swim" in spa, pool, water or wash buckets, or kitchen sink. I prefer Wood REOs in spa, where most "swimming" takes place because they can be quickly wiped out without concerns of water being trapped behind delrin cover. Select woods, of course, and heavily oiled inside.

I rarely wear dangly earrings or bracelets or more than a wedding band. Too many snag hazards. And only a cheap Timex Expedition Watch with canvas band. They last about two years before the face gets cracked and lets in water. By then the band is getting wragged and smelly, too, even though I frequently give it a good Fabreeze soak. I rarely take it off for any reason except to wash and Fabreeze the band.

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I have been know to do that with cell phones..batteries were revived but the cell phone was laid to rest.

I love to hear revival stories. Mudflap's wife just had sucess reviving a swimmer cell phone in rice (3 yr old son). Key to most electronics' survival is yanking power supply really fast. I left my Powershot A640, by the back door camera, outside in rain for a whole night. Revived it except when flash used picture is black. Nice that the Samsung Galaxy phones have such stellar cameras and flash.

I have two larger cameras and multi lenses but small form factor cameras are the way to go for everyday shooting for non-pros and casual hobbiest. (Never was a pro.) But I'm always taking lot of pictures.

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I had one of the first Panasonic Toughbooks, small form factor, few made. Great for jungle. I gave it to a friend when I got my first Netbook. Big mistake. She rarely uses it but won't give it back. I do have some old Fujitsu Pen Tablets, with rugged cases, I can use in a pinch, but they are so heavy with limited HDs, battery capacity, and memory and PC cards needed for lots of things. We are spoiled by internal wireless, bluetooth, great battery capicity, etc.

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

volta399

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Westmont, IL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread