18650 Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
On average, how long would you say it would take to charge two Panasonic IMR 2900 mah 18650's on a wall charger built for 2 batteries? If this helps, I have a i2 Nitcore charger. I have read on ECF where some people have had bad luck with them, while others had no problems at all. I had them both charging at the same time for 75 minutes and it seemed like things were getting a bit too warm for my taste (maybe I'm just paranoid), so I unplugged and thought I would let it cool off and charge them some more tomorrow. Would I be better off just trying to charge one at a time even though its built for two? Thanks in advance. :confused:

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
Peace of mind is priceless, but you are definitely paranoid.
Sounds like runoff from sub-ohm fear mongering.

Full circle.

You'll be alright...but don't lose any sleep over me...

Aside from that, I/we need to know the output of the charger. If it does 3.6 at 600 mAh, watch it.

From what I've gained, you want to charge less-safe chemistry's at 3.7.

Last edited:

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
They will get warm...if they get HOT (as in uncomfortable to touch)...unplug it

Okay, thanks. I guess I'm just overreacting to the forum posts as of late. How long would it take 2 of them to charge simultaneously, on average? Just trying to get an idea. I'm new to batteries this big. lol Sorry for being such a n00b. hehe

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
Peace of mind is priceless, but you are definitely paranoid.
Sounds like runoff from sub-ohm fear mongering.

Full circle.

You'll be alright...but don't lose any sleep over me...

Aside from that, I/we need to know the output of the charger. If it does 3.6 at 600 mAh, watch it.

From what I've gained, you want to charge less-safe chemistry's at 3.7.

This is the charger: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1327201

These are the batteries: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1233700

Hope that helps.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
Last edited:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
I don't have the charger in question, just my "trusty" trust fire charger. For me it takes forever, so it is difficult not to leave them unattended while charging. A fire/proof/resistant charging bag or the use of a vapesafe fuse whilst charging should minimize the risk. But pretty safe otherwise.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
On average, how long would you say it would take to charge two Panasonic IMR 2900 mah 18650's on a wall charger built for 2 batteries? If this helps, I have a i2 Nitcore charger. I have read on ECF where some people have had bad luck with them, while others had no problems at all. I had them both charging at the same time for 75 minutes and it seemed like things were getting a bit too warm for my taste (maybe I'm just paranoid), so I unplugged and thought I would let it cool off and charge them some more tomorrow. Would I be better off just trying to charge one at a time even though its built for two? Thanks in advance. :confused:

IMO, if batteries are getting warm while charging they are being charged too quickly. I would not keep using a charger that did that. Just my :2c:

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
IMO, if batteries are getting warm while charging they are being charged too quickly. I would not keep using a charger that did that. Just my :2c:

I agree, at least until I would be able to check it with an Amp meter... I use an eFest LUC, it charges 18650s at 1A, and I've never had a battery get warm on me.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
One thing about these newer IMR 18650 batteries with ungodly capacities (I have a pair of NCR18650B IMR's rated at 3400) is that it takes a lot of time to safely restore that capacity on the charger. I had a single 18650 battery last me all the way through the Labor Day weekend and it took ~5 hours to charge it yesterday.

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
And I don't see how a SafeVape fuse will provide much protection at all... They don't kick in until the amperage is above 5A to 7A, at which point most chargers will have most likely already melted (never mind what the battery does, they could potentially vent/catch on fire/explode above 2A), and they offer no protection whatsoever for over-charging the battery, as in charging the battery above 4.2V... I think the best protection here is to buy quality batteries which are designed and tested, as much as possible, to not misbehave when over-charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread