26650 battery Max Discharge, and Max Pulse??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tngo

Jan 29, 2015
Seattle
Hi Everyone!

So I am currently looking for a 26650 mod to purchase, but along the way I am aware I will need to purchase some 26650 battery along with that. While I look at the battery description on certain sites, I'll see two statements that throw me off (Listed below). So how is Max Discharging Current different from Max Pulse Discharging Current? and I am looking for a powerful 26650 battery, I like getting a good kick when I vape haha! I am also aware that some batteries are just rewrap and has false specs on it. If anyone also could also make some helpful suggestions for me of a safe and powerful battery and a good functional 26650 mod with hard hitting elements (copper body, silver plated contact etc.) that would of tremendous help!

- Max Discharging Current: 20A
- Max Pulse Discharging Current: 50A

Currently i am looking at these two batteries to purchase:
Efest IMR 26650 4200 mAh 50A Green Battery
http://www.madvapes.com/mnke-imr-26650-3500mah-flat-top.html

Thank in advance for anyone who takes interest in this matter,

-TN:vapor:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hi Everyone!

So how is Max Discharging Current different from Max Pulse Discharging Current?
MNKE IMR 26650, 3500mAh, Flat Top

Thank in advance for anyone who takes interest in this matter,

-TN:vapor:
MCCD, or maximum continuous current discharge is the amp rating for a continuous, no time limit, discharge, while MCPD or MMCD (pulse or momentary... same thing) is an amp discharge rate in 'X' time.... 5 seconds, 10 seconds etc etc. Sometimes it's a full minute.

Problem is, they seldom state the time factor, so unless you find subjective test results, you have to assume it's for a shorter time value.

Both batteries are well known name brands (although Efest is known to exaggerate a bit), and both vendors (to my knowledge) are well respected... so unless a member has personal experience with both (and posts to this thread)... flip a coin.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...While I look at the battery description on certain sites, I'll see two statements that throw me off (Listed below). So how is Max Discharging Current different from Max Pulse Discharging Current? and I am looking for a powerful 26650 battery, I like getting a good kick when I vape haha! I am also aware that some batteries are just rewrap and has false specs on it. If anyone also could also make some helpful suggestions for me of a safe and powerful battery and a good functional 26650 mod with hard hitting elements (copper body, silver plated contact etc.) that would of tremendous help!

- Max Discharging Current: 20A (continuous)
- Max Pulse Discharging Current: 50A

MNKE IMR 26650, 3500mAh, Flat Top

Continuous Discharge Ratings vs Pulse (Burst) Discharge Ratings

The "continuous discharge rating" in amps is the standard specification for amp limits within the battery industry. It is a determination made by the manufacturer and represents the amp limit a battery can be safely used before it will fail.

The "pulse or burst" discharge rating is not a specification standard within the battery industry. Every manufacturer or vendor seems to have their own definition of what the pulse rating is. Often overstated or exaggerated to push sales.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure. It is exceeding the sustainable and intended discharge rate of the battery. It is inappropriate for a consumer device to operate in the pulse range of its battery.

Which would be why we shouldn't rely on any pulse rating. Any failure, mechanical or electronic, that fires the mod will operate in the 'continuous' mode. If your setup relies on a pulse rating, it's instantly over spec.

If your amp draw is safely in the continuous discharge range, your coil could act almost like a fuse and burn out before the battery is stressed. If you are already running the battery at the edge of it's limits (pulse), there is no margin of safety.

The batteries that we currently use in vaping were not specifically designed for use in personal vaporizers, but for power tools which have their own safety elements built-in. Keep in mind that a mechanical mod has NO safety elements built into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread