50/50 VG/PG 48mg (nic) juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquev

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
This is my first post, so this subject may not even be appropriate here, but I thought I would try anyway! I've been reading the diy eliquid info here and wondered if someone could help me out. When I first started diy'ing I ordered the 50/50 vg-pg 48mg nic juice... I hate figuring out my mixing ratios because of the 50/50 aspect. In the commercial premixed ejuice I have found if I have much pg it bothers my mouth/throat, (though I like the throat hit, but find it isn't worth it) so I order 80% VG 20%PG... and I can tolerate that. When doing DIY mixes I don't see in any of the calculators available the option of entering this 50/50 nic juice combo. I like a 18mg strength juice... but am wondering the best way to arrive at the 80%/vg20%pg 18mg final juice... should I predilute the base first? Is it uncommon for people to have a 50/50 pg-vg nic base? Scubabatdan's calculator is very comprehensive, but does't include that option either... shoulda just ordered one or the other I suppose... but I didn't yet know I was sensitive to the pg. Boy, for a first post, this one is probably about as clear as mud!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Makes life simpler if you go from 48 mg to 16 mg -- that's a 2:1 cut (48/3 = 16).

Anyhow, if you want 18 mg final strength, then each 10 ml of juice made needs 10x18/48 = 3.75 ml of your 48 mg nic liquid.

If you want your final juice 80% VG, you need a total of 8 ml of VG in that final mix.

The 3.75 ml of 50/50 nic liquid will have contributed 3.75 x 0.5 = 1.875 ml of VG.

8 ml of vg needed - 1.875 ml of VG from the nic liquid = 6.125 ml of VG must be added.

3.75 ml of nic liquid + 6.125 ml of VG = 9.875 ml. You only need 0.125 ml of PG added.

You're kind of hosed, unfortunately -- most flavorings are PG based, and fairly typical is around 10% flavoring -- 1 ml in 10. You can't get 1 ml of flavoring in there if you only have 0.125 ml to work with.

Best bet would be to order 100% VG nic liquid.

You can use the existing nic liquid for lower strength mixing, say to 12 mg/ml final strength, else you'll need to go to a higher % PG in your final mix -- that 20% target, given that you're using up a good chunk of it from that 50/50 nic liquid, just doesn't give you the headroom needed.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jacquev

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
Wow! Thank you! Your help was awesome! It finally makes sense why it seemed I couldn't find any way to make a 24mg 80%20% (which the 24% is truly my nic strenth pref - but 18mg is okay too) and my calc's for 18 weren't making sense either... I also wasn't figuring in the pg amount in the flavoring, but suspected I should be... so... THANK YOU! I am going to order vg based nic juice and simplify! Couldn't I mix the straight vg nic with the 50/50 to get something useable, and not let my 50/50 go to waste? A 12mg final strength isn't something I'd want to bother with so If I get a higher mg vg nic I should be able to combine... right? Hey, once again thanks so much for your info!

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Hello Jacque,

Sure, you can certainly mix in 100% VG to dilute it with. I started 25 days ago with the DIY method and I am using 100 % VG because it's gentler to throats and stomachs.

Here's what I did because math is not my strong suit LOL! I bought a 60 ml empty bottle to make "my stock" in. I bought a 125 ml bottle of 60 mg nicotine juice in all VG base and a 500 ml bottle of VG. I tried using pipettes to measure and gave up LOL! So I used a tablespoon to measure because a Tbs is 15 ml:)

Into that empty 60 ml bottle, I put 3 tablespoons of VG and 1 tablespoon of 60 mg Nic juice. The end result was 60 ml's of 15 mg nic juice:)

For a 48 mg nic juice like yours, I would use a larger bottle than 60 ml for an empty and do 2 tablespoons of 48 mg juice to 2 tablespoons of VG. That would give you 60 ml of 24 mg juice at that point. Adding in a 1/2 Tbs more of the VG juice should get you to 18 mg I believe- or very close to it. You'd end up with 75 ml of 18 mg nic juice. Then buy lil 6 ml or 8 ml squirt top bottles and fill them with your stock and add the flavorings to the lil bottles to carry around.

I think if you went 60pg/40vg with your 48 mg base and added 100% VG to that, it should get you to 20/80vg or 15/85 VG. Or close to it:)

Good luck and DIY is the way to go! It costs me 27 cents a day to vape by making my own juice!

Lori

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread