Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Ok, call me ignorant.

I have always used eGo cone threading because I had an eGo starter kit. So I guess I don't get it.

What is the advantage of 510 connectors over eG0 cone threading?

Don't tell me it's because 510 is a more widely used standard, I get that, but tanks are getting bigger, we hear of stories of stuff getting broken or bent in the 510 connector and airflow issues when you screw the tank in fully.

eGo threading seems to not have this issue. It has a much wider stem, so you are less likely to break something off. Also the bigger stem provides the stress to be more evenly distributed so you are less likely to see break off issues with eGo cone threading.

I'm just wondering, since I ran a thread on what people would like to see on the new MVP and a suprising amount of people wanted the eGo threads gone. Just want to know why.

510 is universal, but it has it's own set of problems, and I'm wondering why eGo adoption hasn't been more widespread?

Marc Dixon

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2013
New York, New York, United States
510 doesn't have an advantage over Ego threading. But ego threading does have an advantage over 510. Ego is 510 with another set of threads on the outside diameter. My MVP is in the mail and I don't mind the ego threads as I have egos' layin around. But I would have been just fine with a flush 510 thread...

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
The only difference is looks in my opinion. Like on the MVP if I use something with a ego connection it looks fine, but if I use something like a carto tank or a protank I have to have a beauty ring to make it look good.

Now if you have a device that has only 510 threading you can still use something that requires a ego threading. All you need is a 510 to Ego adapter.

Technohydra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Nebraska, USA
Well, the issue is, the advantage is exactly what you asked not to hear. 510 is the virtual 'industry' standard when it comes to non-disposable devices. On the mod makers end, 510 is a compact and easy to manage thread type. It takes less materials to build and has the advantage of not having to design a 'cone' into the bottom of the device. Also, this way, the dimentions of the device determine what will make a flush-mounted device. If it were cone threading, the manufacturers might have to deal with a device that was 18mm, and then one that is 22mm, etc. It would be much more difficult to allow the user to have a good looking mount with cones being the standard.

Advantages of 510? Virtually universal, 99% of mods and power sources on the scene can be used to power a 510 atty. Robust; most of the time when someone gets a device stuck or broken off in a 510, it is either due to crappy materials or threading on the atty or user error, such as overtightening, crossthreading, dropping. Allows for easier design implementation by the manufacturers. Allows more easily for build-in airflow control systems. Allow for the use of any 510 device on any EGO or 510 mod, whereas EGO devices are limited to only EGO mods (adaptors don't count). It seems to me that the industry has examined both solutions, and the consumer demand has chosen what the group at large views as the 'superior' connector type.

Whereas there are uses for both, I have to admit that when someone tells me they have a new device to try, I get excited. Then I find out it's EGO threaded, and I lose my enthusiasm, because the only thing that comes to mind is 'low-grade junk produced by a manufacturer that is behind the times'. Fair and correct or not, I have never used an EGO threaded device that I thought was truly of high quality. I have been through a lot of clearos that are EGO threaded, and they all seem the same to me, basically half-alive. My opinion is that being enslaved to the cone-style connector limits the ability of the manufacturer to innovate new ideas that might not conform to the connector, and as such, the vape on all of those similar devices is, well, pretty much all the same. Don't get me wrong, I am no vaping snob either. I use my Protank right along with my Trident, and still like em both, I just think that the cone started as a great idea and ended up more like a noose to designers.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
It all depends on what battery or mod you are using. Everything I own has ego threading, and I would always pick an attachment with ego threading over a simple 510. To me the ego cone is just more appealing and more sturdy on my equipment.

Conversely, since I have mostly ego attachments, I would likely not buy a battery that has only 510 threading.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
It seems to me that the industry has examined both solutions, and the consumer demand has chosen what the group at large views as the 'superior' connector type..

I agree with everything you said except the above. 510 threading pre-dated eGo cones. 510 threading was originally designed for cartos. You had 510 batteries and cartos and KR8080D battery and cartos, and although officially there was never a winner crowned, if you want to use old KR8080D cartos, you have to use an adapter. So you be the judge.

The bottom line, the threading was designed for cigalike cartos. Then came the carto tank, Let's basically wrap a tank around a cartomizer to give it more juice....

And now we have 5ml Nautilus tanks made of glass and steel still using the 510 threading designed for a basic cigalike carto.

Yes, it's a standard, but in my opinion, it's a standard that has outlived it's usefulness. eGo threading seems to me to be much better, More surface area, better airflow, everything.....

Just my opinion.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Well, the issue is, the advantage is exactly what you asked not to hear. 510 is the virtual 'industry' standard when it comes to non-disposable devices. <snip>.

Advantages of 510? Virtually universal, 99% of mods and power sources on the scene can be used to power a 510 atty. Robust; most of the time when someone gets a device stuck or broken off in a 510, it is either due to crappy materials or threading on the atty or user error, such as overtightening, crossthreading, dropping. Allows for easier design implementation by the manufacturers. Allows more easily for build-in airflow control systems. Allow for the use of any 510 device on any EGO or 510 mod, whereas EGO devices are limited to only EGO mods (adaptors don't count). It seems to me that the industry has examined both solutions, and the consumer demand has chosen what the group at large views as the 'superior' connector type.

<snip>

I think designers started using the 510 threading because it was easier for them (both to manufacturer and design with). The consumers followed the manufacturers because we didn't have any choice. It's not like 'we' (consumers) actively 'chose' a superior connector type.

I agree with the OP that the ego threading is inherently 'better' (i.e. more robust).

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
A thread about thread chauvinism, thread prejudice, and thread snobbery.

My gawd, I have always used 510 threading. I prefer cartos and cartos tanks. There is also eGo threading for other atomizing devices. Get over it.

I have both 510 and eGo threading on my Sigelei V3 and both are stainless steel. Neener-neener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread