Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
I recently purchased an 801 to try on my Prodigy, and I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify what the deal is on the attys for this model.

First, I bought an 801 in the classifieds thread, and it came with an atty with four holes. I also ordered more attys from a vendor and after I'd ordered I read that there were also some w/two holes or 3 holes, so I asked the vendor about the holes in the ones they were selling and he wasn't able to answer my question and seemed as confused as I am.

When I got them I saw they had no discernable holes that I can see, and I was glad I'd ordered them because I like them much, much better. In fact, I think they blow the one with four holes out of the water.

I've read that the 801 atty is interchangeable w/the RN4072 and the BE112, but I don't know which is which.

Not to sound like a grouch :cry:, but we all depend on the experiences of others and beyond that it's pretty much a leap of faith when we place an order that we'll be happy with what we get. Most every vendor I've asked questions of has been wonderful gone far beyond my expectations to make sure I'm satisfied with their products, but I do find it frustrating when things - in this case an atty - is not clearly described on a web page and the vendor doesn't seem to know what it is they're selling.

Ok, it did sound grouchy. :oops: I hope there's no public flogging ...it's just not been my month, and it's either gripe here or beat the kids. hmmm...Guess I could do both. :p - jk, of course.

One last thing...I've also read that some '801's' have a higher bridge than others. I don't know if the difference in the bridge size is obvious, but these two look like they're the same size...if there is a difference, it's a tiny one. Can someone tell me how much of a difference there is and why ppl seem to dislike the higher bridge so much?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Penstyle atomizers made by different manufacturers are generally compatible, but do have some minor differences (number of holes, bridge type, etc.). My favorites, based on draw and performance, are the BE112 from BestECig followed by the JKBC-302 from Janty and the 801 from lots of suppliers.

The heating coils in a high bridge and low bridge atomizer are the same. I do not much care if there is a low bridge or high bridge since I only drip. Using a cartridge made for a low bridge atomizer with a high bridge atomizer, and vice versa, is reported to cause some performance problems. Some manufacturers changed from low bridge to high bridge more recently. Sailebao (DSE models) is one that comes to mind first.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
High/Low bridge -
if you look into the atty, you'll see a metal mesh wick. High bridge comes up to a high point, literally, while the low bridge are lower and rounded. Using a high bridge without a high bridge cart forces the filler material up into the cart, compacting it and making juice flow hard/bad.

Holes -
There are holes or groves in the atty that are covered by the collar at the bottom (screw end) of the atty. Janty attys actually have 2 holes you can see from the bottom of the atty going up into the area where the heating coil is. I've not see any atty with more than 2 of these holes in this location. Main purpose is air flow and ease of draw and is a preference type thing IMHO.

4072/BE112/etc... are all the same and all different (DOH!). They all fit 801 pen-style devices and have minor differences that may or may not work for you. I've been using low bridge 4072 attys from Totally Wicked on my JStick and love them. But I do go back to the Janty Classic atty from time to time as it has a warmer vapor to it.

Last edited:

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Penstyle PV's seem to have the most different compatible atty's. And by compatible, I mean the threads on the atty's will fit the DSE-801 battery. As others have mentioned, lots of variations in the number of holes, etc.

Another thing that I have noticed is the center contact on the atty, where it receives the positive charge from the battery/power source, some can be higher than others, and it requires a staple mod in order to get the positive charge.

I have 3 different penstyle PV's, one is a JS, another is a Chuck, and one that I built, a 5V passthrough with an OEM 801 connector. Different performance on all of them, different draw, and one particular model penstyle atty will only work with a staple mod, no matter which PV I use it on.

My personal preference is the single hole low bridge atty's, the two-hole atty's are nice, but I find they have too easy of a draw where I prefer less. I like the dense vapor at higher voltage. Throat hit anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread