A Volts Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worley

Jun 6, 2016
Hi Guys,

I've been vaping for a little over a month, I'm completely new to the world of batteries, ohm's law etc, I've been finding answers to most of my questions online, but not all, I hope someone can help.

Is it safe to use a voltage higher than the charged voltage of the battery? How is that (is that) even possible?

My battery is currently charged at 3.8v. My device is set to 50watts, it fires at around 4.4v.

I don't really understand how that works. How can a battery's (device's) output voltage be more than the voltage of the battery? Should I be adjusting the wattage as the battery's charge drops while vaping?

I am just concerned with battery safety I feel like there is so much to know.

The device I'm using is the Aspire Plato, with the battery it came with, a 2500mAh 20a/40a.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
assuming you're only dealing with regulated mods, you can familiarize yourself with watts law (instead of ohms, since resistance plays no part in how much power is going into the coils on a regulated device).

Amperage required (CDR) = Wattage level on your device / the voltage range of your battery (which is 4.2V at full charge to 3.2V at soft cut).

So say you have a 20A CDR battery and you're vaping it at 50W on a single 18650 device and you want to know if its safe.

A = 50W / 3.2V (soft-cutoff) = 15.6A but you also have to factor in the fact that not all regulated mods are 100% efficient. Assuming 90% efficiency, 15.6A/.9 = ~17 to 18A, so you're 20A is within the limits.

My approach to this, since I mainly use 20A CDR batteries is to not exceed 60W per battery.

Reactions: Worley

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is it safe to use a voltage higher than the charged voltage of the battery? How is that (is that) even possible?
I don't really understand how that works. How can a battery's (device's) output voltage be more than the voltage of the battery? Should I be adjusting the wattage as the battery's charge drops while vaping?
You are using what is known as a "regulated mod". The internal processor adjusts the battery's output so that the power setting you set remains constant to that setting regardless of the battery's voltage. You don't need to adjust the wattage as the battery's charge drops, the processor already is doing that for you.

A regulated mod's processor has "boost" circuitry which pumps up the battery output to your heating coil. It also has "buck" circuitry to decrease the battery output. I don't really understand how it works, but it does.

...the battery it came with, a 2500mAh 20a/40a.
Are You Using a “Rewrap” Battery? Exposing The WORST Brands In Vaping

Please be aware that the battery specifications of many battery companies are inflated to get you to buy their brand of batteries. Our resident battery expert, Battery Mooch, has bench tested hundreds of batteries.

As vapers, the one specification that we pay the most attention to is the CDR ("continuous" discharge rate), which is the battery's amp limit rating. This is always going to be less than the pulse or discharge rating, which we tend to ignore because the specification is useless.

Best Vape Battery: Continuous vs Pulse Discharge Ratings

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Last edited:
Reactions: Worley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread