Not open for further replies.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
Here is what I do...

I start with a small bit on my dremel to get a hole going. After that, I use my drill, gradually stepping up the bit size until I'm just under a 10-32 thread size.

IMG_20120205_133054.jpg

The silver screw with the flat end is a 10-32 thread size and is what I use to create the threads in the hole. I filed the end down myself to get it to a point to make threading easier.

IMG_20120205_133124.jpg

Then I just use my hex key and put the 10-32 allen stud in.

IMG_20120205_133243.jpg

It works really well, makes filling much easier and I haven't had any leaking problems with them.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Here is what I do...

I start with a small bit on my dremel to get a hole going. After that, I use my drill, gradually stepping up the bit size until I'm just under a 10-32 thread size.

It works really well, makes filling much easier and I haven't had any leaking problems with them.

Get yourself a tap! It'll cut much cleaner threads, and they'll last longer. A 10/32 tap is ~$3-4.00.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Hmm...haven't tried this but....what about leaving the screw OUT and just a little piece of tape over the hole?

That might work too but when I feel like the carto is getting on the dry side.. I take out the screw and take one or two draws and then put the screw back in.. any more than 2 draws and the carto starts gurgling. The tank has to be air tight or the air that is coming in WILL cause the carto to flood. A piece of tape would work in a pinch but it would need to be airtight when it's on the tank.

If I have a carto that keeps flooding.. I vape in front of the mirror to see where the air bubbles are coming in. I've seen tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom grommet and then know I've got an air leak that will require sucking out the juice and taking it apart and reassembling it. being able to take the screw (or tape) out will vent the excess air out of the tank.. but until the leak is fixed.. it will keep building pressure and force the juice into the carto (in excess) and then gurgling and spitting. If I'm somewhere that I can't fix it.. for instance I was on a road trip to my daughter's college the other week and it started flooding.. I can tilt the device to where the punched hole in the carto is above the juice so when I vape, it won't be sucked into the hole.

Once I understood how tanks work, I have no had a problem that I haven't been able to fix. If I have a carto that doesn't wick well and wants to give a burnt taste, I have to take the screw out and vape to let some air in and it will force juice into the carto. It's a hassle when this happens but it's better than carrying around a syringe of juice to fill the carto.. I can do it while driving without having to take my eyes off the road. To me, fill/vent holes are a MUST! A thumb screw is also a must.. I have to be able to easily take the screw in and out when I need to without having to use a screw driver.

This smoktech I'm using this week wicks A LOT better than the boge I was using last week but every once in a while I take the screw out to let some air in and it wicks better.

The chibi design is good but until they add a fill/vent hole, people are going to be coming here complaining about flooding and dry, burnt hits. Even though I make my own tanks, I did purchase a mini sub from momandpopsvaporshop to see what the hole was all about. I went ahead a bought the assembled sub tank and it came with a 3ohm boge that had 3 holes punched in it.. I filled it and let it sit and sit and still got a nasty burnt taste. It was obviously not wicking. (and I use mostly PG in my mixes) So I was able to vent the tank to get the juice flowing up into the carto and it worked after that. ( I did have to keep venting pretty often but it DID work) If I had been using a tank without the hole in it, I wouldn't have been able to use it and I would have ended up posting on here .. "Help! this tank doesn't work!"

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Can't this be balanced out by punching a second hole in top to allow air in/out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

A second hole where? As I said above, the tank has to be air tight or it will flood. It can be vented every once in a while but 99.9% of the time, the holes would need to be covered. Also.. I've had some screws that let in air as I vape. I've watched myself vape in the mirrow and have seen air bubbles coming in around the screw. So the screw too has to airtight cause if air is continually coming in the screw hole (with the screw in) the carto will flood.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
Another punched twords the top of the carto might could help with wicking, I'll have to try that. But if air is coming into the tank from a break in the seal, ( from outside the tamk) when the air pressure builds up enough inside the rank it will flood. That is not misinformation.
I have ONLY had this issue with smoktech carto tanks. You speak the truth. You can't really see a leak in the o-rings around the carto. I have had some of my tanks leak from broken seals and that has been the ONLY time I've had flooding issues with tanks.

With my syringe tanks, I have never flooded out a carto. They seal perfectly around the inside of the tube and to the cartos.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: (it isn't)

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
  • Deleted by classwife

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
  • Deleted by classwife

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Hmm...haven't tried this but....what about leaving the screw OUT and just a little piece of tape over the hole?

I've got a tank with a hole too big for any of my screws.. as I vape and watch in the mirror, air bubbles are coming in like crazy around the screws in the hole. Hmmm I took a piece of regular scotch tape, folded it over a bit so I could easily take it off and just taped over the hole. Works great! No air bubbles are coming in through the hole. Other than the little flap I made, I can't even see the tape. Don't know about wear and tear or how it will fare taking it on and off too much but a roll of tape is pretty cheap.

Thanks for the tip!

thatick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2012
United States
I bought the polycarbonate tubing and vinyl grommets from amazon. I haven't gotten any o-rings for the grommets yet. But these seem to work fine.

What size of tubing and grommets did you get and what cartos are you using. I really want to try making some of these.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread