ABS Box vs Aluminum Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw75

Verified Member
So...I've gotten the itching to build a box mod and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on using an ABS plastic project box as opposed to an Aluminum project box. Are there any +'s or -'s for either in a box mod application?

I know that ABS can break easier than aluminum. But then aluminum is going to be heavier.

I was thinking of doing a dna chip with 1-2 18650's. Nothing terribly fancy...just functional.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
My vote: Aluminum > ABS

Even though you are going to use electronics with wiring involved, you can use a common ground with alu and have a better seated connector. Both probably scratch the same, but ABS will never be shiny. Have a look at the Billet Box and imagine the same thing in ABS. There is more romance in metal.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Exactly. Those red handled diamond needle files are great for that. The 5 set is plenty. Should be about 2.99, but I'm not sure where.

pfl6002.jpg

Last edited:

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
A center punch can help tremendously with wandering holes...also use a very small bit (3/32 or smaller) to drill a pilot hole. Personally I've never been able to create a perfectly squared hole in anything but wood. Then again, the more I try more true they become.

A rotary tool is invaluable in these scenarios, and the diamond bits for them are cheap enough to make a few practice runs. That being said, Hammond makes ABS equivalents of almost all their aluminum boxes. You could always use the ABS as a prototype before risking the pricier metal one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread