AC power options for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrtigo1

Nov 10, 2014
florida
So I'm sitting here in front of my computer watching all of my batteries sitting in the charger and wondering why there isn't a simple way to vape using AC power instead of a battery.

I did some googling and found a few other people asking the same thing, but aside from a provari kit which I can't link to because I can't post links, I didn't really find much.

Seems like if someone built some electronics to step down 110v wall power, put it inside a mod form factor and put a 510 connection on it so you could use it with any 510 tank/rda/etc they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough.

I'm aware some of the box mods (I've seen MVP mentioned in a lot of threads on this topic) have passthrough functionality but the connectors are in weird spots and are pretty fragile.

I dream of a day when I can come home from work, unscrew my rda from my mod, screw it onto some sort of AC powered mod and vape all night without needing to worry about batteries. I don't know a ton about electricity, but I know a bit. Seems like the electronics to accomplish this could be had for a few bucks or possibly scavenged from a wall wart you already have. I don't know if it'd be safe to try so I'm not going to do it, but I really wonder why nobody has made something like this yet.

Am I just not looking in the right place? Anyone here more versed on electricity that can weigh in on whether or not this would be practical/cost effective/safe?

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
There are devices that have been around for a long time.

It's called a passthrough and is basically a 510 connector with a USB plug on the end.

Most now are variable voltage but they are limited to around 1.4ohms (I think, please don't take my guess as correct, contact the vendor to be sure) Just remember that these are powered by the USB port, so they are pretty much for low wattage vaping. I am not sure how many amps you could draw through this device safely.

Variable Voltage EgO/510 USB Passthrough

There is also a hobby thread right here on ECF http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/534052-weekend-project-variable-voltage-vape-station.html Of course, do any of this at your own risk.

ProjektMayhem

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2014
Mooresville, NC, USA
Yeah that would definitely be awesome if you could get some kind of passthrough mod where you can plug into a wall outlet and sub ohm with it. I don't know how that would work either and I'm definitely not technically inclined enough to attempt something like that but it would be awesome and I would totally buy it. I love what that person did with that vape station in that link! I would love to do something like that but I would definitely electrocute myself.

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
There are devices that have been around for a long time.

It's called a passthrough and is basically a 510 connector with a USB plug on the end.

Most now are variable voltage but they are limited to around 1.4ohms (I think, please don't take my guess as correct, contact the vendor to be sure) Just remember that these are powered by the USB port, so they are pretty much for low wattage vaping. I am not sure how many amps you could draw through this device safely.

Variable Voltage EgO/510 USB Passthrough

There is also a hobby thread right here on ECF http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/534052-weekend-project-variable-voltage-vape-station.html Of course, do any of this at your own risk.

I use a passthru when I am at my computer. I got mine from Vapor Beast for 12 bucks. It is VV and does "short" somewhere just below 2 ohm. But I don't recommend it for computers. Get the cheaper ones that work with a wall-wort. Mine fried one USB port and now it is only good as a recharging or vaping port.

vrtigo1

Nov 10, 2014
florida
Thanks for the info and especially the links to other threads that I hadn't seen yet. Yeah, I know about the USB options, but like everyone says USB has very limited power. So it seems that folks have done exactly what I was picturing in my head but nobody has caught on commercially yet. Seems like someone more electrically inclined than I am could build these pretty inexpensively and easily and could probably make some decent money making "vape stations" as a side job.

Here is what you need mast mod mini plugs into the wall. Kicks out 50 watts
6f78248978f0e0420cca1b9b633c0ec1.jpg

d698be1aa2b7f97a7f849a880774031b.jpg

Reactions: DonnyX

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Or you can forget about sub ohming and get a 2 amp AC adapter, put something together to hold a 510 connector and use a 2.5 ohm coil. That's what I use when I'm home. Here's a pic of one I built from CPVC pipe fittings with a Smok mini RDA. Of course you could use any RDA you want as long as you build a 2.5+ ohm coil. Cost is less than $10 minus the AC adapter which I had from a dead Linksys router. Hits really good and flavor is excellent. Passthrough.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread