addicted to building coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon walker

Aug 4, 2015
So I got my first rda the other day and iv built like 15 coils just playing around trying to get the most flavor out of my rda also wicked a lot. Iv been building coils for my tanks for awhile now and never built this many in such a short period. I have found that I like dual coils over single and it seems like a basic dual micro coil is the best flavor I'm going to get with my vertex rda.

Iv tried double and triple twisted coils didn't care to much for those. Going to try some single parallel maybe

Anyone else find building coils relaxing

Reactions: Marina2

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So I got my first rda the other day and iv built like 15 coils just playing around trying to get the most flavor out of my rda also wicked a lot. Iv been building coils for my tanks for awhile now and never built this many in such a short period. I have found that I like dual coils over single and it seems like a basic dual micro coil is the best flavor I'm going to get with my vertex rda.

Iv tried double and triple twisted coils didn't care to much for those. Going to try some single parallel maybe

I enjoy building coils too, but I've never made as many as you have in a few days. When I started experimenting with temperature control I think I went through around 15 setups in a few weeks, but that was mainly because I had titanium, nickle and Kanthal wire to play with.

The good thing is that as addictions go, this one isn't too bad :)

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
I've been playing with coils a little lately. Tonight I took 3 30 gauge Kanthal wires, braided them, then twisted 2 pieces of that together. Basically 6 strands of 30 gauge. I threw a single coil (I'll make a second tomorrow when my fingers aren't so sore...) in my Velocity and was pleasantly suprised. It's at .66 ohm, flavor is insane and if you are a cloud chaser, it sure fogged up my room.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
"One is never completely satisfied with one's coil, until you make that perfect coil. Too bad it is non-duplicatable."
There's no such thing as the perfect coil, only the coil perfect for that specific atty. And once you find that coil that is perfect for said atty, make a bunch of them :D It is hard to find what will be the perfect coil for an atty, but keep building until you find it!
Edit- @SomeTexan is it a coil like this?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
There's no such thing as the perfect coil, only the coil perfect for that specific atty. And once you find that coil that is perfect for said atty, make a bunch of them :D It is hard to find what will be the perfect coil for an atty, but keep building until you find it!
Edit- @SomeTexan is it a coil like this? View attachment 499749 View attachment 499750

Kind of. That looks more like 3 pairs braided. Mine mine is 3 strands braided, then two of those braids twisted. Looking at mine, it doesn't really look braided because of the twists, it's fairly tight. I can't get my iPhone to take a decent pic or I would post one.

Edit: I got a pic of some of the left over wire to come out ok.

Reactions: Tom Forde

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
When I first got into rebuilding, I would often do several coils a day just for practice, lol. Now I usually just do a few a week. I rotate through a lot of atomizers, and almost always rebuild when I switch, with a few exceptions. I've got a coil on a Kayfun that's been chugging along for a few months, and a dual twisted build on a Magma that I particularly like that I don't want to mess with, lol.

Absolutely!

Reactions: Izan

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Kind of. That looks more like 3 pairs braided. Mine mine is 3 strands braided, then two of those braids twisted. Looking at mine, it doesn't really look braided because of the twists, it's fairly tight. I can't get my iPhone to take a decent pic or I would post one.

Edit: I got a pic of some of the left over wire to come out ok.
The way a vertebraid is done is with 2 strand at a time, you take a long piece of whatever gauge, tie the ends together and make a loop out of it. Then use those loops to braid. There are 3,4,5,7 loop braids in so many patterns that can be done. Try it out! It's a lot easier than it would seem.

Reactions: SomeTexan

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
The way a vertebraid is done is with 2 strand at a time, you take a long piece of whatever gauge, tie the ends together and make a loop out of it. Then use those loops to braid. There are 3,4,5,7 loop braids in so many patterns that can be done. Try it out! It's a lot easier than it would seem.
I'll have to give that a shot. I still need to get some swivels and give claptons a shot as well.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Well, I'm too lazy to hand wrap it, so what other option would I have?
Ya just need a drill bro. A swivel becomes more helpful, I'll admit that, but you only need a drill. Stick the core wire in the chuck and hold the Clapton wire with your thumb and index finger along the core wire while you spin the drill. I didn't start out using swivel hooks, just hands

serene.in.dallas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yes, I love building coils, I build one every other day pretty much. I throw out alot of good builds that aren't even gunked or old because I enjoy it so much.

You don't really need a swivel for claptons or fused claptons, but damn its a hell of a lot easier with it. I started doing them by hand and will never go back. Just make sure to only buy the largest ball bearing swivels you can find. I started using the standard barrel swivels in varying sizes and they would always freeze up after one strand of wire was finished, and I had about 4 run inline. And I only used those because I couldn't find the ball bearing variety locally for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread