Advice on Nic Base..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
PG-base is the best choice for normal e-juice. It stays pourable even when frozen, which is how you preserve it.

50/50 is for when you need to make high-mg e-juice (say, above 35mg). I have a bottle of 50/50 mix salt nic for making pod juice. eg: It would be impossible to make 50mg 50/50 flavored pod juice with PG-only nic base.

VG-base is only for when you specifically want to avoid PG for some reason. VG is viscous and nearly unpourable when frozen, so you choose this one only with good reason.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    But if you use 200 mg/ml PG nic base,you can.

T

Correct. My advice was given with the assumption of 100mg nic base that is commonly available in N.A.
    That interesting to me because I am currently looking into possibly stocking up on nic and starting to DIY and I came across 2 US retailers (can't remember who now) that didn't sell anything weaker than 200mg, yet I never read about anyone using it (usually 100mg or weaker), but then I haven't read a whole lot yet. Most of what I have read about DIY is from about a year ago when I was thinking about it but never took the plunge.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help. I plan to purchase 4 100mg 1L bottles. Any suggestions as to the size bottles I should use for long term storage....or should I just freeze them as-is?
    Glass Boston round with poly cone plastic caps work well for me. To save freezer space you can go with three 32oz growlers and four 4oz bottles. I'll post a couple links.
    I buy pg base 250mg personally, takes up less space in the long run.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I went with stocking up 100mg 50/50 since it gave me a lot of flexibility and options in how I can make my juices. I just wanted to kinda future proof it, in case I changed my vape style later down the road. Space isn't too big of an issue for me (I have multiple fridges and deep freezers) so 100mg was fine and makes calculations easy.

Things to consider when choosing nic base are storage space, vape style, and your living situation. Here are a couple of examples of this. Someone who moves a lot, or has limited storage space, would benefit more from getting stronger concentration bases. Someone who uses a wide range of devices like high ohm pods and mods with low ohm builds could benefit more from having 50/50 bases. Someone who has pets or small children may consider a weaker base to help reduce effects of accidental exposure to their kids/pets.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Long-time vaper getting ready to diy for the first time. I noticed that the nic base can be purchased in either PG, VG, or a 50/50 mix. I planned on purchasing PG, but before I do, can someone explain what the advantage of the 50/50 mix might be?

As you can see, there is a wide variety of opinions and preferences about which base to get your nic in for longterm storage and future use. IMO, that's because there is NO one "best" base, that everyone should buy their nic in. The base people choose may be decided upon because of the finished PG/VG ratio they make their DIY eliquids to be. Or, maybe they've read what Kurt the chemist has said about nic in a VG base likely faring somewhat better during longterm storage. Someone may decide on a PG base or a 50/50 base because they don't like dealing with the thicker VG base nic. Others don't mind the VG base being thicker. I'm sure there are other reasons people have for choosing a particular base, too. In the end, no matter which base you choose...with the help of an eliquid calculator...your DIY eliquids can be the nic mg and PG/VG ratio that you want them to be when finished.

As far as taking nic base out of the freezer to use...it should be allowed to come to room temperature before opening the bottle to remove/use any of it. The base it's in doesn't affect the need to do that.

About the size and type of the bottles for longterm freezer storage: Most people who've posted about it have chosen to store it in 8oz. and/or 4oz. Amber Glass Boston Round bottles with polycone lined caps. However, freezer space limitations, the availability and cost of multiple smaller bottles versus fewer larger bottles, and other factors are all things to consider. If you do get larger bottles (ie. 16oz. 32oz, etc.), make sure to buy enough smaller ones to have on hand for when you need to "break down" 1 of the larger ones to start using it. Keep 1 of the smaller bottles out of the freezer as a "working bottle", and put the rest back in the freezer. Use that 1, then pull another out to become your working bottle, etc., etc.. When all the smaller ones have been used, you'll reuse them to break down another large one.

Last edited:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    As you can see, there is a wide variety of opinions and preferences about which base to get your nic in for longterm storage and future use. IMO, that's because there is NO one "best" base, that everyone should buy their nic in. The base people choose may be decided upon because of the finished PG/VG ratio they make their DIY eliquids to be. Or, maybe they've read what Kurt the chemist has said about nic in a VG base likely faring somewhat better during longterm storage. Someone may decide on a PG base or a 50/50 base because they don't like dealing with the thicker VG base nic. Others don't mind the VG base being thicker. I'm sure there are other reasons people have for choosing a particular base, too.

As far as taking nic base out of the freezer to use...it should be allowed to come to room temperature before opening the bottle to remove/use any of it. The base it's in doesn't affect the need to do that.

About the size and type of the bottles for longterm freezer storage: Most people who've posted about it have chosen to store it in 8oz. and/or 4oz. Amber Glass Boston Round bottles with polycone lined caps. However, freezer space limitations, the availability and cost of multiple smaller bottles versus fewer larger bottles, and other factors are all things to consider. If you do get larger bottles (ie. 16oz. 32oz, etc.), make sure to buy enough smaller ones to have on hand for when you need to "break down" 1 of the larger ones to start using it. Keep 1 of the smaller bottles out of the freezer as a "working bottle", and put the rest back in the freezer. Use that 1, then pull another out to become your working bottle, etc., etc.. When all the smaller ones have been used, you'll reuse them to break down another large one.
    Gotta disagree with this bland "every way is valid, pick the best one for you" styling. It's a cop-out. It's good to have an open mind, to the extent that our brains don't fall out.

Be straightforward with the newbies: PG-base is the superior choice. Unless the math doesn't work out, or unless you need max-VG for some reason.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Gotta disagree with this "every way is valid, pick the best one for you" styling. It's good to have an open mind, to the extent that our brains don't fall out. Let's be straightforward with the newbies: PG-base is the superior choice. Unless the math doesn't work out, or unless you need max-VG.

Funny that I knew immediately, without even looking, that the Disagree rating was from you. You are entitled to your opinions and to make recommendations to others based on them, as are other people! That doesn't make yours right and those of others wrong.

By the way, I'm always straightforward with newbies. There IS no 1 best, 1 superior, etc., about anything related to DIY eliquids...for everyone. A PG-base being the superior choice IS only your opinion, plain and simple.

I'll not banter back and forth with you about this. I personally respect the opinions of others and their right to have them and express them...again, plain and simple.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Um there is NO one good choice that works for everyone, actually.

I have to buy my Nic in VG base and I hate it. It's gloopy. It's thick, and it's harder to work with. I (personally) agree for ease of USE, PG is the clear choice perhaps, or 50/50.

However, since I am PG sensitive and use PEG400 and trust me, it is close to impossible to find ah, nic in that base, I am stuck with VG nic. I make do and I make do just fine.

However, one can (intellectually) feel using a certain type of base might have its advantages when in actuality there may be valid reasons for something else.

You cited as one reason for PG "harder math." I happen to think that is one of the stupidest reasons for choosing a nic base I have ever come across. To each his own, however.

The OP said they were going to go with 50/50 for versatility, and that was THEIR choice.

I found it interesting that someone SO interested in freedom of choice then began to argue with them about it.

Keep your hands and nic to yourself and all arms and legs inside the vehicle...

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread