Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Hello folks time for another review, today's review is on the GeekVape Aegis Squonk kit. This mod uses a single 18650 battery and is paired with the Tengu rda. This is a Aegis so you know it's tough with a IP67 rating. Power range is 5-100 watts

s134-web_01-1.jpg

This is a great idea that GeekVape came up with, turning a squonk mod into a regular mod. Changing the mod from squonk to regular is so simple and it looks and functions great either way use choose to use it, more on that later on.

2 IN 1 MODULAR DESIGN

s134-web_13.gif

IP67 RATING

s134-web_07-1.jpg

AS ALWAYS GEEKVAPE INCORPORATES FIRST GRADE SAFETY FEATURES IN THIS MOD

s134-web_04-1-1200x500.jpg

THE AS -100 CHIPSET IS USED WITH THE MOD GIVING YOU FAST, ACCURATE STABLE POWER AND PRECISE TEMPERATURE CONTROL FOR SS, TITANIUM AND NICKLE 200

s134-web_05.jpg

FLAWLESS LEAK PROOF SQUONK SYSTEM

s134-web_11.gif

TENGU RDA

s134-web_12.gif

COLOR OPTIONS, OVERVIEW, PARAMETERS AND KIT CONTENTS

s134-web_12-2019928.jpg

The kit that was sent to me was in a box marked sample so the retail version probably wont include the spine that transforms the mod from a squonk to a standard 510 mod. Below are the kit contents that were sent in my kit.

20191027_084647.jpg

TURNING THE MOD ON AND OFF

5 clicks of the power button.

WATTAGE ADJUSTMENTS

Up and down buttons

FEATURES OF THE MOD

If you have the Solo , Mini or Legend mods in the Aegis family you will be familiar with the menu system, they are the same. 3 clicks of the fire button will highlight your power functions ( Power, TC-NI, TC-SS, TC-NI, TC-TI,TC-TCR, VPC ( variable power curve ) and bypass.

BRIGHTNESS CONTROL

Pressing power and the up button simultaneously will increase brightness
    Pressing power and the down button simultaneously will decrease brightness

PUFF COUNTER

Pressing the power button 3 times will highlight the power control while highlighted each additional press of the power button will move you down the screen until you reach puff counter, press the up button to clear your puffs.

TEMPERATURE CONTROL MENU

3 clicks of the power button will highlight the power function , once highlighted each press of the up or down button will move you to a new power option ( temp control, bypass, vpc, and tcr ) when in the power option you want each press of the power button will move you into further adjustment options,( locking the coil, wattage agjustment ) once in the temp control you want the up and down buttons will control you temperature.

VPC MODE

Once in VPC each press of the power button will cycle you down to make wattage adjustments.

INSTALLING THE BATTERY

As I said earlier this is a single 18650 mod and the battery plate is the same as the original Aegis and the Aegis Solo. GeekVape provides a battery plate assist tool with the kit though I didn't need the use of it. To open the battery compartment lift up on the plate lever and unscrew. ( picture shows how to use battery assist tool )

20191025_135609.jpg

MICRO USB PORT

geekvape_aegis_squonk_kit_1_.jpg

TOP FILLING THE BOTTLE

The Aegis Squonk uses a top fill method by simply sliding the little door to reveal a thin sealing membrane to put your bottle tip in, once filled simply slide back into place.

20191027_120046.jpg

The bottle has a nice feel to it more on the firm side than squishy. Here's a picture of the mod taken apart with the optional hard spine installed next to the squonk spine.

20191027_083207.jpg

TENGU RDA

I won't be doing a full review on the Tengu RDA because I've already reviewed it link is below.

TENGU RDA FROM GEEK VAPE

20191025_140626 (1).jpg

PICTURES BOTH WITH SQUONK AND HARD SPINE ATTACHED

20191025_165014.jpg

20191026_171432.jpg

20191026_172736.jpg

PROS

Top fill
    Ergonomic
    2 in 1 mod
    10 ml capacity
    Light weight
    Spare bottle
    Able to upgrade firmware
    IP67 rating
    510 silicone seal around the 510 connection
    Great looking

CONS

Single 18650 battery ( wished it was a 21700 )
    Filling with 100 ml bottles requires removal of Rda
    Must use high builds or battery life will suffer
    Screws seem soft so be very careful

USING THE AEGIS SQUONK WITH THE TENGU RDA

Well folks when I received the Aegis Squonk I was very happy and surprised to see a solid spine included with the kit which is a really nice bonus to have the option of using it as a standard mod. Also included in the kit is the Tengu RDA which is a easy to build on RDA with very good flavor also. The kit comes together with your bottle in place so all you need to do is install a battery put a build in the Tengu fill the bottle and your good to go.

Having owned a few Tengu RDA's I new the supplied coils once installed would Ω out to 0.20 and that would kill a single 18650 very quickly so I elected to use a higher Ω build instead. This would increase battery life and still give me a nice vape, the build I put in Ω out at 0.45 and gave me 134 vapes before fully dying.

20191025_153749.jpg

20191026_085727.jpg

The coils provided with the Tengu are very good coils but if I were you I'd save them for another time or if you choose to use them and are going out for some time bring a couple of spare batteries with you. With that out of the way you probably ask how does it feel in the hand and the answer is great. It's a very light weight feeling mod either way it's used ( squonk or standard spine ) and the bottle placement is good with a firm but not too firm feel to it.

CLEANING THE BOTTLE

I experienced no leaking of any kind and being a 10 ml bottle lasts a long time. To fully remove the bottle for cleaning is a Pain in the .... but to have a IP67 rating it must be this way. To fully take out the bottle for cleaning the 2 top spine screws have to be removed DON'T TOUCH THE BOTTOM SCREWS there removal is not needed. Slide the top open and you will see 2 white plugs on each side of the fill port, carefully remove each one exposing the screws then unscrew the screws, once the screws are removed you can then pull the bottle down and out for cleaning.

There is a easier way but not as thorough. Because it's a Aegis with a IP67 rating making the mod water proof simply remove the RDA , get a bowl of water, dunk the top of the mod in the water and press the squonk bottle to fill with water then shake and press again while the mod is upside down to expel the remaining water . Opening the filling membrane helps to expel water using this process.

CONCLUSION

I have to say that I have had 0 issues using the Aegis Squonk with the Tengu RDA except I still wonder why this wasn't a 21700 mod because it very well might have taken the top spot for a single battery squonker. The comfort factor is so high with this mod in either way you use Squonk or Standard with the ridged spine. I will continue to use it with slightly higher builds than I normally use because it vapes very well with the added comfort of soft rubber that all the mods have in the Aegis family of mods.

I would like to thank Clay and GeekVape for providing this kit for review. I also hope this review helped anyone thinking of purchasing this kit or mod.

THANK YOU
    BIGBOB2322

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Another very thorough review Bob.

I liked the Aegis squonker when I saw the first release photo's + info.

Question buddy ...the "thin sealing membrane to put your bottle tip in"... I wonder if that part will eventually be sold separately because my thinking (and I could be way off) is that may wear/weaken over time. Do you know if they will be offering that as a spare part? It kind of sounds like from your description on removing the bottle that this part can be removed once the bottle is out. IDK

Thank you sir!!!

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Another very thorough review Bob.

I liked the Aegis squonker when I saw the first release photo's + info.

Question buddy ...the "thin sealing membrane to put your bottle tip in"... I wonder if that part will eventually be sold separately because my thinking (and I could be way off) is that may wear/weaken over time. Do you know if they will be offering that as a spare part? It kind of sounds like from your description on removing the bottle that this part can be removed once the bottle is out. IDK

Thank you sir!!!
    The membrane seems pretty durable and I don't have a answer on replacement being offered . Should be no problem to change one.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I actually was curious how long a run time is 134 vapes?

The only thing that leaves me feeling disappointed in the Topside Dual is that the run time for me is only 3 days..

I don't mind a single battery mod so long as it lasts me a day or day and a half, but I've never used a puff counter - so I have no idea what puffs I take over the life of a battery..

Can you tell me what 134 puffs lasts? Is that like a full day on most single battery mods?

The price really seems right on this mod, but I am curious if this mod is hard on batteries using it, perhaps, conservatively.. ?

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Thanks on another great review, Bob! How is the feel of the bottle. It looks like a plastic rather than silicone bottle. Also, how si the suck back on the squonk, will it empty the juice well to reduce over squonking?
    It's not plastic but silicone and it sucks liquid back just fine, I have never over squonked and had a leak. I have over squonked with 0 problem though.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I actually was curious how long a run time is 134 vapes?

The only thing that leaves me feeling disappointed in the Topside Dual is that the run time for me is only 3 days..

I don't mind a single battery mod so long as it lasts me a day or day and a half, but I've never used a puff counter - so I have no idea what puffs I take over the life of a battery..

Can you tell me what 134 puffs lasts? Is that like a full day on most single battery mods?

The price really seems right on this mod, but I am curious if this mod is hard on batteries using it, perhaps, conservatively.. ?
    I never understood puff counters until one day I was curious on battery life and the light switch went on LOL. Thank god most if not all mods use them in there menu.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread