RDA Aeolus RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up the Aeolus rda about a week ago and can not get a decent build going. I've actually only done 2 builds and can't get anything close to the flavor and vapor production I can get out of my Hobo. I did a dual coil, with 28 gauge around a 3/32 bit that came out to .55....it was harsh and the flavor just wasn't there. Then I tried dual 28 gauge / twisted that came out to .35 which seemed too hot to me. The flavor and vapor weren't on par either.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I don't have an Aeolus, but in my experience the kind of issues you're describing are more often due to coil POSITION and AIRFLOW then about the wire wrap... If you've got a decent looking .5ohm dual built, try relocating the coils - higher, lower, out farther, etc.
That atty DOES have some weird looking airflow characteristics...going through channels and coming from the top...

I picked up the Aeolus RDA about a week ago and can not get a decent build going. I've actually only done 2 builds and can't get anything close to the flavor and vapor production I can get out of my Hobo. I did a dual coil, with 28 gauge around a 3/32 bit that came out to .55....it was harsh and the flavor just wasn't there. Then I tried dual 28 gauge / twisted that came out to .35 which seemed too hot to me. The flavor and vapor weren't on par either.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I don't have an Aeolus, but in my experience the kind of issues you're describing are more often due to coil POSITION and AIRFLOW then about the wire wrap... If you've got a decent looking .5ohm dual built, try relocating the coils - higher, lower, out farther, etc.
That atty DOES have some weird looking airflow characteristics...going through channels and coming from the top...

That is one thing I didn't really try. I positioned the the coils about the same with both builds. Awesome, thanks for the pointers, I'll have to do some experimenting that way.

msmith4512

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
New York, NY
Top airflow RDAs like the Aeolus, Venturi, Lethal, and Omerta are cool because the are less likely to leak as the air holes are well above the juice well. But because the air has to travel farther to reach the coils, you tend to get less wind pressure hitting the coils, so it's really important to build your coils very close to the air inlet holes in the chamber. I have the Venturi and Omerta, and I don't get the vapor quantity, density and flavor I get from RDAs with bottom or side air intake. But I prefer the top air flow RDAs for on the go, because the don't leak into my pocket as much. For me, they are a step up from Kayfuns and Lemos for mobile use, but not as good as my Magma, Lancia, Holmes, N22, or Veritas.

Top airflow RDAs like the Aeolus, Venturi, Lethal, and Omerta are cool because the are less likely to leak as the air holes are well above the juice well. But because the air has to travel farther to reach the coils, you tend to get less wind pressure hitting the coils, so it's really important to build your coils very close to the air inlet holes in the chamber. I have the Venturi and Omerta, and I don't get the vapor quantity, density and flavor I get from RDAs with bottom or side air intake. But I prefer the top air flow RDAs for on the go, because the don't leak into my pocket as much. For me, they are a step up from Kayfuns and Lemos for mobile use, but not as good as my Magma, Lancia, Holmes, N22, or Veritas.

I'm just getting ready to put in a new build in, I'll try that. Ya the whole top air/less likely to leak, was the main reason I wanted to try this one. Thanks for the advice!

Positioning the coils higher up made a huge difference. I used 26 gauge this time...seemed to grab the screws better than 28 gauge with the diameter of those post holes. Msmith4512, you described top air flow rda's spot on though. The flavor and vapor is better than a Kayfun, but not up there with my other 2 rba's. (Veratas and Hobo) It will be a good "on the go" atty I think.

Trexwyo

Jul 19, 2014
Wyoming
I've got the Original Aeolus. My first build was 4 strands of 28 ga kanthal twisted tight. then wrapped 2 coils 5 wraps about 2.5mm diameter ID. I placed the coils so the coil center was equal to the height of the posts. and directly below the air holes. turned out 0.12 ohm build. Very good flavor and nice clouds using Japanese cotton. I did have two complaints for an $80 atty in their build quality. On the one I received the fit of the barrel, top cap and air adjustment ring was VERY sloppy and loose. Almost to the point of leakage, did seep. This was improved or cured by replacing all the O-rings with some that were larger diameter. I'm much happier with the fit now. I also replaced the screws with a spare set that came with a Vulcan atty. Longer and traps a single 28 ga wire tighter. original screws are too short. I'll use a 0.7 ohm 28 ga dual coil build when I have this atty on a 50 watt variable mod so i can increase the voltage to keep the amperage lower

Last edited:

neonballoon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
United States

Any reason not to use the Veritas on the go? It's design is pretty leak resistant as well.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
Very interesting to see people having issues with this RDA. I just ran a little test with this device and believe the problem is power loss/conductivity (which you can't fix) and bad seals (change your o-rings). I would recommend against using the heat sink as that can only make the power loss situation worse.

Derringer user just got his Aeolus...not impressed | E-Cigarette Forum

If you have a derringer and an aeolus, try this and let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread