AGA Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Just got the AGA Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer today. Can't wait to try out this thing but ain't gotta clue about building a coil with mesh. No instructions at all come with the kit. Can anybody steer me in the right direction. Guess I've been spoiled with all the videos and instructions available with GG's. With this rba looks like I'm on my own. Thanks!!!

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Thanks guys!!! Yeah, I've been watching several different You Tube videos and at least now have a place to begin. I've been building coils for Iatty & Ody with silica wick for some time now but the SS mesh is a whole different process. Looks like step 1 is to properly oxidize the mesh. Gonna be a learning process. I was a bit surprised that the manufacturer/seller provides zero instruction on how to use this device. I'm grateful for You Tube and ECF Forum and guys like you who are willing to help out.

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Having a tough time getting this thing to work. I've watched numerous videos on making the SS mesh wick and coil. I heat the wick with a butane torch & quench 3x. Then treat the wick with juice and burn off 3x. Not having a problem with the coil. Been rolling the coil @ 1.5 ohm around a nail the same size as the wick hole and making the - and + connections. The coil will fire right up and get red hot at 3.5V but once I insert the SS wick then nothing. The method I've been using I learned from videos by Ross Sanders (aka junkyrock13). I know there is a learning curve with the SS mesh wick and I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
It took me a loooong time to get a satisfactory vape from a mesh wick. In fact, the first couple of genisis attys I tried I wound up getting rid of in frustration. But I kept coming back to it as new things came out and I eventually got the hang of it. It's still not my favorite way to vape, but it is an enjoyable experience now. One of the big variables is the juice, though. Some juices I like best in genisis attys, others best in cartos or silica rebuildables or traditional attys, so finding that "right" match of juice and hardware was the final step for me in succeeding with mesh wicks

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Hi Killjoy. I totally agree about juices. It amazes me how much variation there is in flavor of the same juice on different setups. For instance, my primary PV is GGTS/Drip Mode Ody and my favorite juice is a coffee flavor. I had always been using 32G Kanthal to build coils until I tried 36G. WOW, the 36G gives it so much more flavor - a completely different taste with the same juice, same PV, same RBA. Only difference is the wire. BTW, I tried 36G on the SS mesh and it just burns up almost immediately so I had to go back to 32G for that. Also which Genesis style RBA do you prefer. So far I've only tried the AGA and the COV. Is there something else out there that is better? Thanks for your input!!!

Added: Only reason I was interested in trying the SS mesh was my frustration with the silica wick. A new coil with silica tastes sooo good. But that good taste only lasts for a short while. Then where the coils wrap around the silica it gets burned, hard and less absorbant. The taste goes South real quick and I find myself building a new coil every day. Was hoping the SS mesh would last longer and taste better but so far not so good.
It took me a loooong time to get a satisfactory vape from a mesh wick. In fact, the first couple of genisis attys I tried I wound up getting rid of in frustration. But I kept coming back to it as new things came out and I eventually got the hang of it. It's still not my favorite way to vape, but it is an enjoyable experience now. One of the big variables is the juice, though. Some juices I like best in genisis attys, others best in cartos or silica rebuildables or traditional attys, so finding that "right" match of juice and hardware was the final step for me in succeeding with mesh wicks

Last edited:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Also which Genesis style RBA do you prefer. So far I've only tried the AGA and the COV. Is there something else out there that is better?

Well, I could give you my preferences, but they are based more on size and looks than on performance. When it comes to genisis attys, they all have the same potential in terms of performance, that aspect is solely based on the materials and method used in the setup. I currently have four different ones that I use, one of which is the Chinese DID copy that COV also sells.

Some pointers on the setup that I can give:
-keep it simple at first with 30 or 32 gauge wire, anything thinner than 32 can be a pain to set up because a hot leg (the wire between the connection point and the wick) can pop the coil pretty fast
-if taste is bad or metallic, chances are you have a short or one coil is too far from the mesh. Fire it with the cap off and plenty of juice on the coil and see if anything glows, if it does then try nudging your coil around until it doesn't
-there is a fine line for how tight you need your coil to be on your wick, too loose and you get hot spots, too tight and you get shorts. In my experience, it's good to be just barely loose enough to be able to twist the wick within the coil
-make sure your air hole is lined up with your wick
-tilt your PV while you vape it, air hole aimed downward, so that gravity can help keep the wick fed

There's a doc out there with a huge load of info, I'll go dig it up and get back to you. It's for a particular mod, but all the principles apply to any genisis atty so it's still a good resource for you. BRB . . .

EDIT: here ya go. There are a couple of sections in this doc with links that will be useful for any genisis mod, early in the doc there are sections about wick and coiling, then near the bottom of the doc is a section with links to some good tutorials
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmYrSL_FJC4NdHZUb0xvVzRrNi1Qb2NCQ0dUUVdZUmc#gid=1

I hope some of that helps you :) I've been there, with wondering why the heck everybody loves this type of atty and totally not getting it. It took me a long time to get the hang of it and I still to this day don't know what I started doing differently to suddenly make it work :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread