Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I am kinda shocked, i have been vaping this caramel macchiato coffee flavor for a couple days and loving it. And then, all of a sudden , out of nowhere, i cant freakin taste it. Zip. Nuffin. Not had vapers tongue since way back when i first started vaping. Kinda bummed out, this was some mighty tasty juice.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Coyote628, is it a Rebuildable you're using?

I'm having some issues with Rayon and THC Tauren SOLO RDA. Seems as though the longer it's used, the more the Rayon shrinks away from the coil and then I start to loose different flavour notes from my liquid.

Ah well, at least I'm having more luck using Rayon than Cotton. And at least it keeps me busy.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am a bit stopped up in my sinuses, probably got a lot to do with it. I did switch over to my strawberry milk just now to see. Im good. This stuff is nice too lol. Im happy again
This goes to show how much our sense of smell assists our sense of taste.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
@Coyote628, is it a Rebuildable you're using?

I'm having some issues with Rayon and ... Tauren SOLO RDA. Seems as though the longer it's used, the more the Rayon shrinks away from the coil and then I start to loose different flavour notes from my liquid.

Ah well, at least I'm having more luck using Rayon than Cotton. And at least it keeps me busy.
Yes, and you can also start to get a burnt flavor because the inside top of your coil is no longer being fed liquid from the wick. May I suggest keeping the wick tighter inside the coil? You can always thin the tails if needed but keep the inside of the coil snug.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I have no sense of smell. I worked in a harsh environment with strong chemicals that ended up causing me to loose it.

At first, I couldn't taste much at all. Everything was bland and lifeless. Over time I started picking up on more flavors again. I still can't taste some things, and I'm sure what I taste is different than what someone who has a sense of smell tastes. There are lots of juice flavors that just don't taste right to me at all, so this is why I get stuck on certain flavors and stick with them for long periods of time.

So my point is that your taste buds can do some really wacky things when you can't smell, especially for the first few weeks. I would say that could very well be a big part of the problem you are having right now.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Blocked sinuses as others have said, also dehydration will do it too. And you dont necessarily have to be exhibiting the classic dehydration signs either, just mild will greatly mute your taste vape wise. I think taste with vaping is effected way before anything else by mild dehydration. Your taste usually relies on foods, liquids in bigger amounts than is delivered by vaping and why you can still taste food and drinks no problem, but is why vape flavours seem to out of the blue for no reason vanish into thin air. Vapers tongue, I personally believe, is that. Not from being used to a flavour, but from mild unnoticeable in other ways, dehydration.
We all know vaping robs us in small ways of moisture. Try this. Take a big vape inhale and just an inch away from a fly screen blow slowly through it and see how much moisture alone catches on the wire. But more blows through than catches but its still pretty wet. Now multiply that by a hundred or more times a day, each day, each week and your losing quite a bit of body moisture through vaping. That loss has to be compensated for and if it isn't the first sign can be vapers tongue, mild deydration. I used to get what I thought was vapers tongue, flavour loss because I was too used to the flavour. But after I realised it was just mild unnoticeable in other ways dehydration, I have never had vapours tongue since.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Take a big vape inhale and just an inch away from a fly screen blow slowly through it and see how much moisture alone catches on the wire.

While I understand what your saying, and don't contest that vaping will dehydrate people, the stuff that you are seeing forming on the screen isn't just water from your body but also the vapor condensation forming on the screen as well. So this test makes it seem a lot worse than it really is.

Reactions: sonicbomb

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Ginger ale or beer seems to help refresh the taste buds somewhat.

And @muth, I'm getting there slowly with Rayon. I'm learning that you really do have to pack it in to get it to work well, and I do mean really pack it. Most recent rewicking I was moving my 6 wrap 0.34mm × 0.68mm SS316L coil about a bit. I was thinking that it wasn't going to work well as I thought that I had used to much, but it started off okay but not brilliant and has improved somewhat over time and use as its shrunk.

Reactions: muth

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
While I understand what your saying, and don't contest that vaping will dehydrate people, the stuff that you are seeing forming on the screen isn't just water from your body but also the vapor condensation forming on the screen as well. So this test makes it seem a lot worse than it really is.
Yeah, im well aware that its also the inhaled juice but lets not forget this. That those huge clouds produced by dtl vaping are not just the vape juice alone. To produce those huge clouds includes your own body moisture robbed from your lungs. My point was to simply illustrate that the body is robbed of moisture and it is an early form of dehydration that many misinterpret as the "mysterious" vapers tongue. So no, I have not made anything appear worse than it is. I have simply given a reasonable and simple example of how you can see what happens when you vape. Your body losing moisture. It seems worse through your interpretation, not my example.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I am kinda shocked, i have been vaping this caramel macchiato coffee flavor for a couple days and loving it. And then, all of a sudden , out of nowhere, i cant freakin taste it. Zip. Nuffin. Not had vapers tongue since way back when i first started vaping. Kinda bummed out, this was some mighty tasty juice.
If this is a diy mix it isn't unusual for flavor to fade and then come back within several days. Try putting it up for a few days.

• Agree
Reactions: Zaryk

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Yeah, im well aware that its also the inhaled juice but lets not forget this. That those huge clouds produced by dtl vaping are not just the vape juice alone. To produce those huge clouds includes your own body moisture robbed from your lungs. My point was to simply illustrate that the body is robbed of moisture and it is an early form of dehydration that many misinterpret as the "mysterious" vapers tongue. So no, I have not made anything appear worse than it is. I have simply given a reasonable and simple example of how you can see what happens when you vape. Your body losing moisture. It seems worse through your interpretation, not my example.

I have vaped with a spitback screen in my drip tips many times. They collect about as much moisture as the window screen does when I blow my vape out of it. The spitback screen could not be collecting body moisture, so that tells me that the vape I blow out couldn't have a lot of body moisture in it (while there is some and it does add up during the day, it's just not a whole lot per exhale). Again, I'm not saying vaping does not dehydrate someone, or that it is or is not the the cause of vapers tongue. I am just saying that blowing vape through a screen is not a good measure of how much moisture the body looses to vaping.

Reactions: sonicbomb

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Ginger ale or beer seems to help refresh the taste buds somewhat.

And @muth, I'm getting there slowly with Rayon. I'm learning that you really do have to pack it in to get it to work well, and I do mean really pack it. Most recent rewicking I was moving my 6 wrap 0.34mm × 0.68mm SS316L coil about a bit. I was thinking that it wasn't going to work well as I thought that I had used to much, but it started off okay but not brilliant and has improved somewhat over time and use as its shrunk.
Wicking an RDA is different than wicking an RTA. Regardless, both should be snug inside the coil. Snug enough that you can't easily pull it through your coil. I've used both rayon and cotton and mostly use cotton these days. Some say that rayon doesn't sag/shrink as much as cotton. This would make sense because of the fiber difference but I don't generally have problems with cotton so I use it. I like how it feels on my fingers....soft as a baby's bum, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread