all sorts of rebuilding questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

memories

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Jax, Fl
Ok fellas, I searched and searched but I'm still wanting to pull my hair out. I have a bunch of (stupid for many) questions regarding wicks coils and everything that deals with RBAs. I've always been into cartos (tanks) and pre installed rubbish atties. Just ordered a Reo and a rm2. So without further ado.....

Material for the wicks: I've heard a few choices and cotton seems to be a good pick. What are some advantages and disadvantages of one over the other? When saying cotton, does that refer to any cotton such as cotton balls/rounds? Or is there a certain type?

What is the difference between micro coils and coils? Micro just sub-ohm or is it a different gauge or just less/more wraps?

I've seen tutorials on building coils, and it seems simple but if messed up, how bad can it damage either the RBA or the mod? If it shorts out, what's next, just a rebuild? New spring?

I have kanthal a1 30ga, good to use or different ga recommended?

Should the wraps touch or not so much. I read some say yes, and some say NO! I understand that the coil or any part of the wires should not touch the bowl or the cap, and that the air hole should be in line with the coil.

What difference is there when you wrap the coils at one circumference vs another, like what should I start at?

Sorry for the questions, I know I have more but that's all I can think of.

Thanks so much!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/413000-rm2-rba-2-0-reomizer-2-rebuild-tutorial.html

This is SXD and he also has a thread for his microcoils that use what i call a cotton (wool) ball - like women use for make up!
The typical wrap is on a 1/16th drill bit or blunt needle at regular Ohms. They are not sub-Ohm coils and i don't recommend those anyway,because you can get a perfectly good vape using more usual wicks and coils.

30g kanthal is probably what most coil makers here use - it offers a good balance between resistance and flexibility (= it's not too thin to see or too thick to wrap!).

T

memories

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Jax, Fl
supertrunker:10183743 said:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/413000-rm2-rba-2-0-reomizer-2-rebuild-tutorial.html

This is SXD and he also has a thread for his microcoils that use what i call a cotton (wool) ball - like women use for make up!
The typical wrap is on a 1/16th drill bit or blunt needle at regular Ohms. They are not sub-Ohm coils and i don't recommend those anyway,because you can get a perfectly good vape using more usual wicks and coils.

30g kanthal is probably what most coil makers here use - it offers a good balance between resistance and flexibility (= it's not too thin to see or too thick to wrap!).

T

Thanks man! I'll use the drill bit, I'm sire the rest is learn as you go. On the drill bit, like 7-9 wraps sound ok?

Bob57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Indiana
Thanks man! I'll use the drill bit, I'm sire the rest is learn as you go. On the drill bit, like 7-9 wraps sound ok?

Depend on the resistance you want, You could try 7 wraps and then add a wrap or 2 if to hot or subtract a wrap if to cool. :)
I use 100% cotton yarn and sometimes just plain cotton.
Yes it's ok if the coils touch, in fact the more the better there are many techniques to get them all uniform.
You'll understand more after you get started, it's not hard to do actually it's kinda fun to try different things.
The RM2 is pretty safe as far as shorting because of the ceramic base, if you did have a short you would just have to replace the spring so it's a good ideal to have a spare.
The best thing is you have all the help you will need right here and any questions you have will be answered by a great bunch of people here. :)

Congrats on your REO!

And welcome,,

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Memories, read through THIS THREAD some.

The difference between micro coils and "standard coils" (that term will never not be funny :p) is this.. a micro coil and it's wick can be thought of as two separate parts where the coil stays in place and you clean or replace the wick as needed. A traditional coil is wrapped around the wick in such a way that replacing the wick typically means replacing the coil too. Micros are a tightly wrapped tube of coils mostly touching each other whereas a traditional coil is wrapped around a thicker wick less times and the coils typically don't touch each other. There is some kind of electrical engineering voodoo magic that makes a micro pack a bigger better punch than a traditional coil of comparable resistance.

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I like the rolled cotton from a box from CVS OR COTTON balls. I tried silica and didn't like it but others here swear by it. So it's subjective. How many and how tight your wraps are also subjective to how you like it. I started at 6 wraps not touching... I change what I do by if I feel like playing around... the best part is the playing around!! lol these are my suggestions. Go get a meter, you can find a cheap 1 for about $20 at home depot. And save yourself some grief and get a couple of spare springs just in case it collapses so you don't have to be without while you are waiting for 1 to come in the mail. And read and do, the more you read and do the more you know and the better your coils look and perform. Welcome to REOVILLE!!!

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
I am still pretty new to making coils, and I think micro coils are easier to build and maintain. You can still use a cotton wick even if the coil is a "standard" coil. The first coil I made for my RM2 was a 1 ohm, 4 wrap standard coil using 28g Kanthal with cotton and it tasted great, and produced a decent vape. I have a bunch of silica, I tried building a few coils with it and it was much more difficult for me. IMO it doesn't get any easier than making micro coils though. I have a nice 2mm diameter R/C screwdriver that has a big knurled handle on it which makes it pretty easy to wrap a coil around. Plus I use a needle nose to really put a lot of tension on the wire when wrapping it so the coils are nice and tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread