Allergy Edema from VG only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

Oct 20, 2014
Chiba, Japan
Hi all. Love this forum. I started vaping in July this year. At the end of July started to get small welts/swelling on the bottom of my feet and hands. Then later parts of my face, lips, eyes, cheek. I thought I might have been allergic to PG, so I switched to only VG in august.

Saturday night, I was out with friends. While they were smoking it up, I was vaping. I vaped same as normal, maybe even less that night. Sunday, was a hot day, and I was out walking around in the sun. I was thirsty the whole day(hang over). Around 6pm on Sunday I felt the swelling, but Monday morning(today my time), I have a pair of clown lips and swollen cheeks on both sides.

I am wondering, has anyone else every gotten an allergic reaction of vaping VG only, and if so, was it an edema like me, or something else(ex a rash). I have read around the internet, and getting allergic reactions from VG is suppose to be rare. Also, if I was allergic to VG, should not the reaction happen rather soon after vaping, and not 24 hours later?

I have never won a lotto in my life, so I am having doubts I am one of the small few people in the world who gets allergic reactions from VG.

Also, to combat this allergic reaction, I have been taking Benadryl and a few antihistaminesameans. But, it does not seem to be working. I will be getting a blood test at the end of this month to see what things I am allergic to. In the meantime, if anyone can give me some advice that would be great.

I am using kanger minitank, kanger coils, e-twist, and vg usp grade bought from Walmart in Canada, and distilled water.

I am really confused, because I thought it was the PG giving me this problem, but it is still here, and I use vg only(no flavoring).

And yes, I have stopped vaping until the edema/swelling/clown face/ goes away.

Thank you all in advance for reading this, and helping me out.

cordoang

Oct 20, 2014
mexico
In order for you to be allergic to glycerol, you would need to have some type of metabolic disease and you would be dead because we are all made of glycerol. Glycerol is a substrate for triglycerides a source of energy. It is also used in your bodies cells. Phospholipids which is a glycerol skeleton with 2 fatty acids and a polar phosphate group. Its safe to assume your not allergic to glycerol. HOWEVER just like any other substance like vitamins, an excess can be a bad thing. Your cells would need to be saturated with this stuff in order for it to be toxic....

Makoto

Oct 20, 2014
Chiba, Japan
Thanks for the information. Very interesting.
But, I am guessing I would have to do a lot of vaping(like almost 24-7) to reach toxic levels for VG, correct?

I am suspecting if it is vg, it is from one of the oils used to make it(coconut, palm, or soy). But, I am not aware that I have an allergy to anyone of these.
But, I am not here looking for a medical diagnosis, or information that I should be asking my doctor. Just some ideas of what could this edema/facial swelling be from.

Anyways, I appreciate all the opinions and advice.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Its-not-lupus-Its-never-lupus.jpg

Makoto

Oct 20, 2014
Chiba, Japan
Yeah, I understand. It is not lupus, thank the gods. But, I am not really looking for a diagnosis. Just wonder if any one here has had a similar experience, or heard of one similar to mine. If I am the only person, then that gives me reason to consider other things that might be triggering this allergic reaction. But, if a few people respond saying they have had an allergic reaction from vaping VG only, then I know I am not alone, and VG needs to be considered as a possible trigger. Nonetheless, Cordang I do appreciate the information that you posted earlier. Because I really hope I am not allergic to VG.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
the only way you'll know that is by going to a doctor and ruling everything else bad it could be.

there are a lot of symptoms associated with detox from tobacco, familiarize yourself with those..

if you don't watch your fluid intake (and that's not tea, coffee, or carbonated beverages they don't count) you can (I did) have some swelling in the lower extremities when you first start vaping...

others have more an allergic reaction to PG.

but then you don't really know (again) until a clinician has ruled out other things it could be..get to a physician. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread