Altsmoke Omega 3.7v 18650 mod review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
Received an Omega Silver Vein in trade for some stuff about 2 weeks ago, figured I'd post a review on it.

I have been wanting an 18650 mod since the day I started vaping, and this was my first. I wasn't really sure what I was wanting to buy or trade for, but this Omega(and other altsmoke offerings) were on my wish list. Another ECF member offered his Omega silver vein + batts + charger in trade for some things I had listed in the classifieds, so I jumped on that deal.

Out of the box, I was pretty impressed with this thing after only being experienced with eGo gear and home-made PVs like my boxmods. This is definitely a beautiful and well-built PV, solid and easy to handle. I can definitely see why it carries the $100ish pricetag. Would I pay that much for it? Not sure, honestly...but I'm definitely not saying "no" to that.

The finish is incredible, it's like a black and silver powder coat and seems fairly sturdy. I've dropped this thing a handful of times and still have yet to see any nicks/scratches on it.

The unit itself is built very well, there's not much too it at all which makes it even more appealing. Upon my first time taking it apart, I was surprised to see how little there is to this thing and how simple it was to clean and re-assemble. Though, I'll be honest, the first time I put it back together the top wouldn't lock down with the allen keys which turned out to be my own fault, I wasn't pushing that cylinder down all the way. :facepalm:

Now for the cons, though they don't really strike me as actual problems...

-The positive contact pin, specifically the flat end that contacts the 510 connector, wears out over time. There's a ring "groove" in it from that center pin of the 510 connector but this doesn't seem to affect the continuity...although, it may if it gets worse. I'll have to contact altsmoke and see what they say about this.

-This one is more just a problem with me, than a problem with the Omega itself. I work with my hands a lot, half mechanic and half electronics/computer geek, and they seem to get sorer with age. This top-firing mod wreaks havoc on my hands, so I find myself switching hands to vape and sometimes going back to the boxmod to get some relief. As I stated, this isn't exactly a problem with the Omega but it is worth noting since I'm sure I'm not the only one here with sore hands. If you have carpal tunnel or arthritis in your hands, then you may want to consider a button-firing mod instead.

If someone came up to me and asked "Do you know where I can find a good, solid, top-firing 18650 mod?" I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this one. But I would find it hard to recommend over a side-button firing PV, like the Silver Bullet(which I have no experience with, but if it's built like the Omega then I'm sure it's awesome). With that said, I'll probably sell or trade this Omega in favor of an SB for it's side-button.

Last edited:

sixofusernames

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
california
I own the silver bullet, it was the first Pv i ever bought. and i didnt buy another for two years. the bullet is simply fantastic. for sore hands, the side button is easy to push, and is the perfect spot. Its phenomenal in its sleek construction, I simply adore it. And, if i might add, Altsmoke's custumer service is the best i have encountered. I broke my SB once, by using a bad 901 adapter, and Chad fixed it for me, i got it back within a week, better than new, freshly polished, and he didnt even charge me for the repair. He even altered (shaved) my 901 adapter so it would fit my bullet perfectly and now i can switch back and forth between the 901 and the 501 without damaging the unit. however, now that i have tried the LR 901, with a high drain battery, the vapor is massive, and the taste is much smoother than the 501. I would recommend the SB to everyone. the second unit, i recently purchased was the Reo Mini, and that was only because im a dripper, and i cant drip in the car while driving and the mini solves this problem for me. but hands down, the SB is american made, solid, beautiful, and the guys at altsmoke are fantastic.

sixofusernames

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
california
If your into the box mods, might i recommend the Reo Line. I bought myself a mini, and it freakin wonderful. bottom feeding system, everything contained in the unit, so its the best for in the car and traveling. it works so well, I nearly vaped into a coma when i first got it. granted, i dont own any other box mods, so i cant compare per se, but its really perfect. and thats saying something! and if you want or need longer battery life, the Reo's also come in the grand, which takes an 18650.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread