amp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobertson

Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
arcata
I'm looking into getting a power supply for a pass through. If a power supply is rated for 12volts at 5 amps, would it be able to give 6 volts at 10 amps? I'm just trying to get my head around the volt amp thing. I'm planning on using a dc-dc converter, and just want to make sure I don't get something under powered and fry it.

This is what I'm planning to use right now.

AC100 240V to DC 12V 5A Power Supply for 3528 5050 LED Strip Charger Adapter | eBay

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I'm looking into getting a power supply for a pass through. If a power supply is rated for 12volts at 5 amps, would it be able to give 6 volts at 10 amps? I'm just trying to get my head around the volt amp thing. I'm planning on using a dc-dc converter, and just want to make sure I don't get something under powered and fry it.

This is what I'm planning to use right now.

AC100 240V to DC 12V 5A Power Supply for 3528 5050 LED Strip Charger Adapter | eBay

Not sure what you mean by: '...would it be able to give 6 volts at 10 amps?' It seems to have a fixed 12v output, so it can only give 12v.

You could use that 12v output to feed a DC-DC converter, which could step it down to 6v, but the AC-DC converter will still be outputting 12v, and still be limited to 5 amps.

If it were an adjustable output model, it's doubtful that lowering the voltage would increase the current rating. I say doubtful, because one simply cannot make blanket statements about a type of electrical device. They can be designed in countless ways.

In any case, an electrical component's ability to handle a certain amount of electrical current rushing through it is not necessarily affected by the voltage that drives the current. The amount of current is directly related to the voltage and circuit resistance, but any conductor can only handle so much current rushing through it at a given moment, without overheating.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
Pretty much, yes
For the converter,
Power_In ~= Power_Out

MORE ACCURATELY:
Power out is actually a little less due to the converter using some power. I don't know how much but 10% is probably more than enough to account for it.
So,
Power_In * 0.9 = Power_Out

Power = Volts * Amps

12Volts * 5Amps * 0.9 = 6Volts * Amps_Out
Amps_out = 9 Amps max (@6 Volts) to stay under the 5 Amps limit on the 12 Volt supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread