Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
nichrome80 has a lower resistance than kanthal. I usually use it when I want to put more wraps on a coil and have it the same resistance as the same gauge kanthal with 2 less wraps. Its also more malleable, so the nichrome is easier to wrap, but the coils are easier to get messed up after they are set in place.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
GPlat, Spidersilk, Anarchist, Hotwires... Just buy from TemCo and you will get the exact same product at a fraction of the cost.

Not true. Gplat is 316L stainless steel welding wire, Temco doesn't sell that as far as I know.

I buy my 20g Kanthal on Amazon though. Paid 6 bucks for 115ft. Temco can't beat that :p

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Not true. Gplat is 316L stainless steel welding wire, Temco doesn't sell that as far as I know.

I buy my 20g Kanthal on Amazon though. Paid 6 bucks for 115ft. Temco can't beat that :p

You're right. They also don't sell Titanium wire as far as I know, but that was not the point I was trying to make... The bolded section is the point. TemCo was just the first that came to mind because they manufacture kanthal.

I wonder where most of these wire sellers do get their wire... Like Lightning Vapes, I would guess TemCo bought in bulk?

Last edited:

Penumbra

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
funny, I ask similar question days ago.

According to Squidoode, Anarchist wire is the "purest" form of nichrome.

Now, as said above, there is ni-cr 80, 60, 40, 20, etc.

those numbers refer to the percentage of Nickel in the Nickel-Chromium alloy mix; HOWEVER, as youll see on Wikipedia or elsewhere, "Ni-Cr" can be mixed with additional metals... such as Iron (Fe), and some others.. cant remember, maybe Tin, etc.

Now, if Squidoode's statement is not just a marketing lie, then the "purest" form of Nichrome must mean there is absolutely nothing else in the Nickel-Chromium mix. I guess package does say Ni-Cr 80 on it... So exactly 80%Nickel, and 20% Chromium... no tin, or iron etc.

I need to csll temco and see if they can give me specifics on what else may or may not be in their NiCr 80/40... or NiCr 20. I know Temco has 2 kinds, Nicr 80 and one other.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
funny, I ask similar question days ago.

According to Squidoode, Anarchist wire is the "purest" form of nichrome.

Now, as said above, there is ni-cr 80, 60, 40, 20, etc.

those numbers refer to the percentage of Nickel in the Nickel-Chromium alloy mix; HOWEVER, as youll see on Wikipedia or elsewhere, "Ni-Cr" can be mixed with additional metals... such as Iron (Fe), and some others.. cant remember, maybe Tin, etc.

Now, if Squidoode's statement is not just a marketing lie, then the "purest" form of Nichrome must mean there is absolutely nothing else in the Nickel-Chromium mix. I guess package does say Ni-Cr 80 on it... So exactly 80%Nickel, and 20% Chromium... no tin, or iron etc.

I need to csll temco and see if they can give me specifics on what else may or may not be in their NiCr 80/40... or NiCr 20. I know Temco has 2 kinds, Nicr 80 and one other.
Temco lists their N80 & N60's contents on Amazon. And AN80 (Anarchist Wire) is a higher quality Nichrome. I did a 24g side by side test on the same atty, 8 wraps on each side, even leg length, properly wrapped 2.5mm coils, and the Anarchist Wire had a quicker heat up time, even when I pulled the coil around to make the leads longer (which should make the ramp time go up). This is what temco says about their N80 & N60 respectively.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have spools of temco N80 everywhere from 24-36g, and for my purposes it's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread