Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Hello,
I’ve been lurking around a little bit before finally joining, but I still have a lot to learn. I bought most of my equipment from a local shop which is managed by a vape enthusiast, it’s pricy but I don’t have to worry about the quality of the material (eg if there should be a problem with a battery for example, he would certainly exchange it). I have two iStick Picos 75W (but only one battery so far), one atomizer eleaf Melo 3 Mini and one VandyVape Berserker Mini MTL RTA that I just bought and only rewicked once so far, I’m still learning how to do that as good as possible. I bought the Berserker on vacation in the Philippines, the guy who sold it to me also sold me a pack of 30Ga prebuilt 0.5 Ohms coils, it says Hive in big letters on it, I guess that’s the brand. He also installed one of these coils for me, to get me started. One question I have: I find that the Berserker has much less airflow than the Melo 3, but in the review (found here, on this site), they say nothing about that, on the contrary it (the Vandyvape Berserker) gets a great review. Am I not understanding something ? Are these two atomizers not really comparable? I have to draw a lot harder on the Berserker, I don’t like that about it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello,
I’ve been lurking around a little bit before finally joining, but I still have a lot to learn. I bought most of my equipment from a local shop which is managed by a vape enthusiast, it’s pricy but I don’t have to worry about the quality of the material (eg if there should be a problem with a battery for example, he would certainly exchange it). I have two iStick Picos 75W (but only one battery so far), one atomizer Eleaf Melo 3 Mini and one VandyVape Berserker Mini MTL RTA that I just bought and only rewicked once so far, I’m still learning how to do that as good as possible. I bought the Berserker on vacation in the Philippines, the guy who sold it to me also sold me a pack of 30Ga prebuilt 0.5 Ohms coils, it says Hive in big letters on it, I guess that’s the brand. He also installed one of these coils for me, to get me started. One question I have: I find that the Berserker has much less airflow than the Melo 3, but in the review (found here, on this site), they say nothing about that, on the contrary it (the Vandyvape Berserker) gets a great review. Am I not understanding something ? Are these two atomizers not really comparable? I have to draw a lot harder on the Berserker, I don’t like that about it.
Hi,
Yes you are correct.
The Melo is a DTL device and the berserker is a MTL device. Think hookah vs standard marlboro pre roll. VERY different.
As you get better wicking the berserker, the amount of leaking should subside.

Which coil are you using in the Melo? How ,many watts? How many watts are you feeding the VV Berserker?
What is the strength of your nicotine liquid? You might need to adjust the level depending on which device you are using. Lower for the high air volume melo and a bit higher for the MTL VV Berserker.

Cheers
I

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Which coil are you using in the Melo? How ,many watts? How many watts are you feeding the VV Berserker?
What is the strength of your nicotine liquid? You might need to adjust the level depending on which device you are using. Lower for the high air volume melo and a bit higher for the MTL VV Berserker.

I understand, I will just have to get used to the MTL vaping technique, which is fine. I might end up preferring it, who knows. I have different liquids, but all either 70-30 or 80-20 (higher VG), since I was a little bit allergic (or sensitive) to PG, but it seems to have gotten much better now. At the beginning, I had a running nose whenever I vaped even a little bit. Now I noticed that I’m easily out of breath, I’ve read (on this site) that this can be a side effect of VG...I guess there’s always something.
In the Melo 3, I’m using a 0.5 Ohm cool, at about 32-33 Watts - I don’t like hot vapor. I already had it a bit higher on the VV Berserker, about 37.5 W, so thanks for confirming that. Another problem with the VV Berserker: It has a tendency to spit up into the mouthpiece, so much so that I use the Melo mouthpiece instead, for some reason it’s a little better that way (probably because it’s a little bigger, my lips are further away from the coil). But I guess that’s also because of the wicking?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just to be sure: I do understand how to regulate the airflow on the Berserker, with the different sized holes. It’s just that even on the biggest hole, it’s still much less than with the Melo 3; plus the Berserker likes to leak through said air intake holes, I don’t like that either.
Well of course, its MTL. MTL means tight draw. You want a DL style draw you want a DL mod

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
only rewicked once so far, I’m still learning how to do that as good as possible.
Welcome and glad you joined.
You tube is a good source in learning hand eye techniques regarding coil and wicking.
Could ask detail questions here: Wick and Wire
The rebuildable information below may help you:
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome.
I don't use Hive coils but am 99% sure they are a type of coil design not a brand. Either way; I personally wouldn't try to make one - I'd buy 50 from China for a few bucks if I liked them. Most complicated coils are for high power vaping. Many work very well indeed. I top out at about 40 watts so standard kanthal or kanthal Clapton is fine for me. I also do SS316 coils as well sometimes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Kurt and welcome.

You are comparing two rather different atomizers, one is a rebuildable the other is a more airy, direct lung type device.

The Berserker does take some getting used to and there is a dedicated thread on this tank you can find it here: Authentic Berserker Mini (22 mm) from Vandy Vape

It has a lot of tips and tricks to avoid leaking (especially while filling) and rebuildables can take some time to get used to. If you do want to try a MTL rebuildable tank that offers more airiness, I might suggest the Innoken Ares, and the Siren V2. Be aware, the Siren V2 is a "love it or hate it" type flavor atomizer, while the Ares gets pretty consistently good reviews for flavor. They would be (depending on the coil you build for them) sort of "possibly in between" the Melo III and the Berserker, which has one of the tightest draws on the market.

I will note (even with USA vendors) sometimes you can get a lot more options at the exact SAME quality level, especially during July 4th sales, so if you are looking for something, now may be a good time to buy it, you can look at ECF vendors to see who gets good reviews and who may be offering coupon codes.

Of course, your other (absolutely fine option) is to just learn more about the tanks you have! That's always a great option too. However, most folks on ECF do wind up buying on line, even direct from China and the quality is the same (no clones, etc.) although from China you want a trusted vendor and also you'd need to expect a more lengthy ship time.

Welcome LOL and if I have provided 'too much" advice, well feel free to ignore most/all of it! Welcome and congrats on switching to vaping. :)

Anna

Reactions: Izan

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Welcome.
I don't use Hive coils but am 99% sure they are a type of coil design not a brand. Either way; I personally wouldn't try to make one - I'd buy 50 from China for a few bucks if I liked them. Most complicated coils are for high power vaping. Many work very well indeed. I top out at about 40 watts so standard kanthal or kanthal Clapton is fine for me. I also do SS316 coils as well sometimes.

Ok, I see that I misunderstood something: the box of coils (Hive) I have, is actually a box of prebuilt coils, so I don’t have to ‘make’ them. I didn’t realize that there’s the possibility of buying ‘naked’ wire and manufacturing your own coils, I thought when we’re talking coils, they are all prebuilt. I don’t think I wanna go down that route at this point (manufacturing my own coils), for now I’m just happy to install these prebuilt coils, snap the excess wire off and do the wicking. Once I’m good at wicking, I’ll see about building coils.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Hi Kurt and welcome.

You are comparing two rather different atomizers, one is a rebuildable the other is a more airy, direct lung type device.

The Berserker does take some getting used to and there is a dedicated thread on this tank you can find it here: Authentic Berserker Mini (22 mm) from Vandy Vape

It has a lot of tips and tricks to avoid leaking (especially while filling) and rebuildables can take some time to get used to. If you do want to try a MTL rebuildable tank that offers more airiness, I might suggest the Innoken Ares, and the Siren V2. Be aware, the Siren V2 is a "love it or hate it" type flavor atomizer, while the Ares gets pretty consistently good reviews for flavor. They would be (depending on the coil you build for them) sort of "possibly in between" the Melo III and the Berserker, which has one of the tightest draws on the market.

I will note (even with USA vendors) sometimes you can get a lot more options at the exact SAME quality level, especially during July 4th sales, so if you are looking for something, now may be a good time to buy it, you can look at ECF vendors to see who gets good reviews and who may be offering coupon codes.

Of course, your other (absolutely fine option) is to just learn more about the tanks you have! That's always a great option too. However, most folks on ECF do wind up buying on line, even direct from China and the quality is the same (no clones, etc.) although from China you want a trusted vendor and also you'd need to expect a more lengthy ship time.

Welcome LOL and if I have provided 'too much" advice, well feel free to ignore most/all of it! Welcome and congrats on switching to vaping. :)

Anna

Hello,

I haven’t read the dedicated VV Berserker thread yet, but that’s really cool, thanks for finding this one! I had done a search on my own before, but somehow missed it.

I’m actually really happy with my VV Berserker, when it comes to the flavor, except that the tip gets too hot. Fortunately the mouthpiece from the Melo 3 fits perfectly, so I use this one instead. As for the airflow, now that I know why it has less airflow, it doesn’t bother me at all, before it was different since I was wondering if there was something wrong. And the flavor really is different, so it’s worth it. Now the only drawback is the leaking, and it doesn’t even leak all the time. But I’m hoping to find a few tips in the linked thread, and then I can happily focus on getting better at wicking.
I don’t want to buy another atomizer at this point. If I do buy something new, it will be a RDA, in order to start squonking. That might be the next step, but not before I’m better at wicking my Berserker.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The good news is, once you are wicking your berserker properly, an RDA will be a BREEZE. Heh, I started with tanks too, but won a protected mech with a Panther RDA. I decided on a single coil build and I was all like, BUT BUT WHAT DO I DO with the GLARINGLY empty and obviously JUST THERE airflow on the other side?????????????

My son kept assuring me drippers don't leak. He was SO right and the flavor! Sort of glad I started with tanks otherwise I might never have GOTTEN to tanks coz I like TANKS too. Heh.

Anna

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread