Anthony Vapes: Voopoo Vmate Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Voopoo Vmate. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is a retail version and not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Voopoo Vmate is the latest mod from popular manufacturer Voopoo and the first mod they made in quite a while. They made the Mojo earlier this year which was an internal battery mod and pretty nice and prior to that it’s been almost a year when they released the voopoo too, their last dual 18650 mod. The Vmate is a dual 18650 battery mod rated at 200 watts and is styled to be a symmetrical style box mod with a centered 510 pin. Looking around online i see them priced in the 45-55 USD range from china or 55-65 USD from USA. It’s available in 12 colors. 2 frame colors silver or pewter and several battery door color options for each including things like wood, green, black, camo etc.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Dimensions - 89mm by 47mm by 30mm
  • Weight - 102g
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery - Not Included
  • Advanced 32-Digit GENE.Fan Chipset
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-200W
  • Output Voltage Range: 0-7.5V
  • Resistance Range - Power Mode: 0.05-3.0ohms
  • Resistance Range - TC Mode: 0.05-1.0ohms
  • Temperature Range: 200°-600°F/100°-315°C
  • Supports Ni200, Titanium, Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • TCR Adjustments Mode
  • POWER Mode
  • Zinc-Alloy Chassis Construction
  • Intuitive OLED Screen
  • Split Battery Chamber - Located on Each Side
  • Firing Button - Located Above Battery Bay
  • Two Adjustment Buttons - Located Above 2nd Battery Bay
  • Output Over-Current Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • Over Discharge Protection
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Brand Balance Battery Charging
  • MicroUSB Port
  • 510 Connection
  • Available in Silver and Pewter
  • S-Emerald Green, S-Camouflage Red, S-Waterfall, S-Red, S-Rock Black, S-Wood, S-Surf Blue, S-Camouflage Green
  • P-Emerald Green, P-Camouflage Red, P-Waterfall, P-Red, P-Rock Black, P-Wood, P-Surf Blue, P-Camouflage Green
Included in box:
  • 1 VOOPOO VMATE 200W Box Mod
  • 1 User Manual
  • 1 USB Cable
  • 1 GENE Chip Card
  • 1 Warranty Card
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got to see this mod it was at ECC they were showing it off and it looked pretty cool. The screen reminds me of the geekvape ones like the aegis legend and nova but in black and white and they went with the symmetrical design that I love with a centered 510 pin. The unique part about the design of this mod is the buttons and battery doors. The batteries go on opposite sides of the mod like the voopoo too but you can't do a single battery mode like the too does. The buttons are on the top with a fire button on one side and the plus minus on the other. Really comfy to use in both hands. Overall I really liked the design from the start.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .16, .21, and .64 ohms. wattage points were max (200), 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 148 watts and 35 amps. For the rest of the testing it was a little on the low side 1-6 watts. Slight struggle but on par with most mods. At .16 it maxed out at 194 watts. The rest were pretty good 3-5 watts low or on point with the 25 watt test. For the .21 test it maxed out at 196 watts. Again really good but a little on the low side 2-3 watts mostly except the 25 test which was on point and the 50 test which was 1 watt high. For the .64 testing it maxed out at 92 watts and 7.679 volts. For the rest of the testing a bit high 1-5 watts which is common. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like most dual battery mods.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It barely struggled with the .12 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit. It mostly hits slightly low. I was able to get 196 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 200 watts. The 7.679 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit. Their manual lists the max Volts at 7.5V so it exceeds that so good rating as well. They don’t list an amp limit on this mod. The most i got was 35 with a .12 ohm coil which is on the lower end for a dual battery mod as most are around 40 these days. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 200 watts, 7.5V and 35A. So overall good ratings from Voopoo. The mod never got hot when stressing it at all, however it did get a little warm and when stressing at max wattage went into high temp protection. I have no issue with that personally as I like the safety feature of it and I don’t recommend vaping over 150 on a dual battery mod anyway and always use good 20A or high CDR batteries as rated by mooch. There is no noticeable fire delay on this mod and the watt curve mode works great as well. They also got rid of the love and super mode nonsense and the mod fires as it should now at high wattages unlike the alpha one.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the low side. Accurately rated for watts (196), No boost circuit, low amp limit of 35. Volts tested at 7.679 so exceeds the listed spec of 7.5V. Watt curve works as it should.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode, I tested 6 builds. 2 simple round single coil, 2 simple round dual Coil, 1 large fancy single coil build, and 1 large fancy dual coil build. Like all voopoo mods the mod is limited to 80 watts in TC mode and even at that you rarely get the full 80. It performed like all the voopoo mods in the past. It does a good job with a single coil round build and smaller dual coil round builds but can’t really power fancy coil builds. Using a 50-60 watt single coil around .15 ohms the mod can barely put out over 40 watts to power it. So like all voopoo mods, it’s good but very limited and something I wish they would fix. It’s the same as the drag, too alpha, etc. In today's day with many good affordable mods doing a good TC i feel it’s not up to par due to the limitations so overall i’m going to give it a fail but say that if you just use simple round single coil builds it will work well for that.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system could be much better as it does not include a true menu. You just click fire 3 times to cycle through the modes which are by default watts, TC NI, TC TI, TC SS. I don’t see any TCR mode as of now but you can adjust the TCR in the temp modes. It uses the same system as other voopoo mods and the default for SS mode is 1300. Also since it fires so fast clicking the fire 3 times each time results in getting the sizzle off your atomizer all 3 times. I wish manufacturers would stop chasing this instant fire nonsense or at least do it like innokin where after the first press it doesn't fire the 2nd and 3rd time. Having my mod fire 12 times to cycle through all modes just seems out of touch. Pressing up and down goes into the sub menu where you can switch to watt curves and temp curves (5 memory spots each) and adjust the TCR in temp mode and lock your resistance in temp mode. Use 4 clicks to program the curves or to adjust the power in TC mode. Really not user friendly at all. It would be made better with the PC software where i could program my curves on a computer and remove the TI and Ni modes form the device but the software currently does not work for the vmate. I’m sure it’ll be updated at some point when the mod is released but as of now that doesn't help me at all. The plus and minus buttons aren’t labeled which is a bit odd. Plus is the one on the front and minus is the back one.

The Voopoo Vmate adjusts by .1 watt increments under 100 watts and full watt increments 100 or more. Holding it makes it adjust fast. It results in making it annoying to tune in your wattage. They need to lower the .1 increment barrier to around 20-25 watts. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has a good weight. Feels solid but not heavy. The Battery door is a standard magnetic plate. 1 on each side and batteries go in the opposite sides of the mods. It works great and fits great but does kind of feel like double the work to swap them out. Not a big deal and makes sense to keep ti symmetrical so not a big complaint there. Also the magnets on the battery doors are reversed so you can't put the wrong door on the wrong side which i thought was pretty cool.

The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear on mine outside of the bottom which is pretty normal. There are just the 2 color options as far as the frame. Silver and pewter. I have the silver one and it’s quite shiny and a fingerprint magnet. The door color i got is the black rock and it looks like a black marble. I like it. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It’s on the top of the mod and easy to fire with a thumb or pointer finger. I really like the fire button placement on this mod. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles 25mm atomizer flush. Anything bigger will overhang. The 510 is centered as well and on a platform and secured into the mod via 2 screws on the top. The screen is a good size i’m gonna estimate at .96 inch black and white screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Also for branding the mod itself is nice and simple no crazy giant drag logo on it. Just a small voopoo logo on the back. Really nice looking mod.

Pros:
  • Build Quality of mod
  • nice simple looks
  • Batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • 12 color options
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • good size bright screen
  • nice fire button
  • centered 510 pin that takes 25mm atomizers
  • good volt limit that exceeds it’s listed spec
  • watt curve mode
  • symmetrical design
Cons:
  • old outdated menu system
  • mod fires every time you click to change modes
  • full watt adjustment 100+ (should do full watt lower)
  • max amps are a little low compared to most dual battery mods
  • PC software not updated to use on mod yet
  • TC performance is very limited
  • no TCR mode?
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this will lean a little towards the yes. I wouldn’t recommend it for TC due to its limitations and lots of other good options in this price range exist nowadays, but as a power mode driver it’s a well built mod that performs well and looks nice and feels solid but not heavy. It’s worth looking at if your in the market for a new mod and don’t care about TC or only use single round wire builds for TC provided you can live with the minor cons i’ve found. I’ve added this mod to my sheet of recs linked down below as a power only mod.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Voopoo

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

• Informative
Reactions: mimöschen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread