Any suggestions for a good coconut cream recipe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I am pretty new in diy'ing so i'm not at the point of really trying to experiment yet,but i have followed alot of the recipes i've found on here and other places online.One i really want to try is coconut cream,but no matter where i have looked,i can't find one posted anywhere,so looking for some suggestions.I want a nice creamy flavor,but with enough coconut to be able to know without a doubt that there is coconut there haha.
The flavors i have that would get me in the ballpark are (these are all tfa)
coconut extra
sweet cream
vanilla swirl
whipped cream
bavarian cream
French vanilla
vanilla custard
dulce de leche
caramel
and loranns ny cheesecake

I've been thinking about this for a few days,but dont really know where to start without possibly wasting alot of ingedients,so any advice would definitely be appreciated.

SueandCootie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2009
south central Mass
I started a thread a while back about a mix for a sweet bakery type coconut, and I own every brand of coconut flavoring that's made (I have a couple I haven't played with yet, got distracted with chocolates!). It's a surprisingly hard flavoring to work with, tends to get waxy at anything but the lowest %, and my poor taste buds are rather shot, so I look for strong flavors.

HeadInClouds worked it through using toasted marshmallow and brown sugar TPA, and I would likely try sweet cream as well...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/540763-sweetest-coconut-strawberry-question.html

This is one copied from another thread with an insane amount of flavoring...I've made it and it's not bad, but I still get a bit of musty/waxiness from the coconut...hope there may be some inspiration here!!

Coconut Cream Pie

3.2 mL .. 53% .. VG base
1.5 mL .. 25% .. FlavourArt Coconut
0.4 mL .. 7% .. Capella Vanilla Custard
0.4 mL .. 7% .. Perfumer's Apprentice Sweetener*
0.3 mL .. 5% .. Perfumer's Apprentice Pie Crust
0.2 mL .. 3% .. Perfumer's Apprentice Toasted Marshmallow

*this is maximum sweetener according to my taste... takes a couple days for the artificial taste to subside.

And... if you happen to have any Kick Bass Vapor Monkey Bread lying around, the Pie mixes very well with it. Try 1 part Monkey to 2 parts Pie, = "Monkey Pie"

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Yeah,your thread was one of many i seen while trying to search for an answer,which i'm glad i came across,because that coconut cream pie sounds very good,i just need to order some more flavors,and then will definitely be trying that one.I agree though,25% does sound high,but i will try it exactly as posted,and then possibly drop the amount on the next one if it comes out too strong.
I did finally find what i was looking for,instead of coconut cream i searched creamy coconut and one came up.The question though,it calls for 15% capellas vanilla custard,and i have the tpa vanilla custard.Any reccomendations on how much i should change that percentage,i've never tried the capellas,so not sure if it would be stronger or weaker than the tfa.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Now that one sounds great too,so ya please let me know how it comes out.I don't have the cocnut candy yet,but i have been ordering 4-5 new flavors every week,so i will definitely be adding that one anyway.I have never tried any juice with coconut in it yet,but i love coconut in general,so definitely interested.
By the way,thanks for the replies,definitely getting me to a step in the right direction.This whole diy section has been a great source to get me going,i've made probably 20 recipes i've found on here so far.I definitely would not be anywhere near that if i was trying to figure it all out on my own,i can only imagine what i would end up with if i tried to figure any of these out haha.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I started a thread a while back about a mix for a sweet bakery type coconut, and I own every brand of coconut flavoring that's made (I have a couple I haven't played with yet, got distracted with chocolates!). It's a surprisingly hard flavoring to work with, tends to get waxy at anything but the lowest %, and my poor taste buds are rather shot, so I look for strong flavors.

HeadInClouds worked it through using toasted marshmallow and brown sugar TPA, and I would likely try sweet cream as well...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/540763-sweetest-coconut-strawberry-question.html

This is one copied from another thread with an insane amount of flavoring...I've made it and it's not bad, but I still get a bit of musty/waxiness from the coconut...hope there may be some inspiration here!!

Coconut Cream Pie

3.2 mL .. 53% .. VG base
1.5 mL .. 25% .. FlavourArt Coconut
0.4 mL .. 7% .. Capella Vanilla Custard
0.4 mL .. 7% .. Perfumer's Apprentice Sweetener*
0.3 mL .. 5% .. Perfumer's Apprentice Pie Crust
0.2 mL .. 3% .. Perfumer's Apprentice Toasted Marshmallow

*this is maximum sweetener according to my taste... takes a couple days for the artificial taste to subside.

And... if you happen to have any Kick Bass Vapor Monkey Bread lying around, the Pie mixes very well with it. Try 1 part Monkey to 2 parts Pie, = "Monkey Pie"

Yeah,your thread was one of many i seen while trying to search for an answer,which i'm glad i came across,because that coconut cream pie sounds very good,i just need to order some more flavors,and then will definitely be trying that one.I agree though,25% does sound high,but i will try it exactly as posted,and then possibly drop the amount on the next one if it comes out too strong.
I did finally find what i was looking for,instead of coconut cream i searched creamy coconut and one came up.The question though,it calls for 15% capellas vanilla custard,and i have the tpa vanilla custard.Any reccomendations on how much i should change that percentage,i've never tried the capellas,so not sure if it would be stronger or weaker than the tfa.

'Don't want to tell anybody how to mix, but do want to remind folks (especially newbies)....even 1-2% sucralose SLAUGHTERS flavor (as in diminishes, kills, flattens). The 7% "sweetener" in this mix forces one to use a much higher amount of flavor.

FA recommends the majority of their flavors be used at 4% or less...and many DIYers find that "less" is best.

The "sweetener merry-go-round" is tough to get off of once you've invested all kinds of time/product "perfecting" recipes. Remember, the best vendor juices don't use it (we know this because it flattens/dulls flavor and because it would end up costing them a fortune-in-flavors to restore the flavor intensity.

Regarding the addition of sucralose (and other additives that diminish flavor), from here, Post #413: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-flavor-add-ons-em-vw-bw-mts-acv-ect-11.html

As far as I can recall, I was the one who tested lemon juice and the effects it had on fruit flavors. At the time I was also using sucralose (ezsweets) in fruit/bakery flavors. I also tested distilled vinegar (not acv, I dont use it) on tobaccos.

What I found with fruit and bakery vapes is they were great initally with the additives, for about two days. Then on day 3 like clockwork the sharpness/crispness of the flavor was just... plain... gone. It never rebounded either. It just continued decline. So I started testing the same juices with lemon juice and sucralose separately. Trying to find the culprit. The result in my tests was that they BOTH decrease flavor output of ejuice. While they help initally boost and sweeten flavor, within a few days, they both cause ejuice to simply go flat. While its a more dramatic example, I feel the same way about ejuice with lemon or sucralose as I do about flat soda pop. Its just lackluster.

This occured in both high VG bases at 80% and high PG bases at 80%. I tested both because I didnt want people calling me out saying VG mutes flavor, which to this day I refute as utter nonsense.

I no longer use either in any of my mixing. I have found that using fruit flavors with alcohol bases provide more than enuff sweetening o. their own if they are steeped for 48-72 hours, and it helps that I use 80%VG in my juice.

As far as tobaccos go I also agree vinegar that after a few days it can flatten flavors over time. However!!! As I vape mostly tobacco ejuices I still add 1 drop/5ml of distilled white vinegar to my vapes. To counter the flattening I adjust by adding slightly more flavoring. About .5% to 1% more flavoring in a final mix. In my experience this counters the effect of flavor flattening with DV and allows mostly all tobacco vapes to round out immediately. (note: i also heat steep my juices at a constant 150° in a water bath in a crock pot for four hours after mixing and have found it it adds about 2 weeks to the aging process of ejuice). At the 2 weeks mark (in my case then this is 4 hours after mixing), all of your tobacco flavors will have a spike in flavor and will stay there, but only round more given time. Giving you a spiked up flavor but still rounded body to your vape. I found apple cider vinegar made bad and good juuces worse with no spike at all, but to be fair I barely ever tested acv.

All of my vapes... yes read that as ALL... are primed and full bodied in four hours. Period. Ultrasonic isnt the answer either. Hand shaking is enuff for juice. Heat allows flavor dissipation and release FAR FAR better.

Alot of what I do flys in the face of common and well "documented" processes others use like ultrasonic steeping tho. (if it works for ya, great. I know what I know and heat is the key, not vibration. And yeah, I tested that too about three months ago so I stand behind it).

People just pretty much ignored my testing. I took painstaking measures to control the samples and.prove to myself the results. Today when people say they use lemon juice, or sucralose and RAVE about the results.... I know they are NOT vaping stellar juice. They are absolutely, positively, better off without both. Unless they are going to vape what they make in under two days.

Note: I did not bother testing the effects of citric acid powder in juice, but I assume it has the same effect as lemon juice and mutes flavors.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
'Don't want to tell anybody how to mix, but do want to remind folks (especially newbies)....even 1-2% sucralose SLAUGHTERS flavor (as in diminishes, kills, flattens). The 7% "sweetener" in this mix forces one to use a much higher amount of flavor.

FA recommends the majority of their flavors be used at 4% or less...and many DIYers find that "less" is best.

That's a good point,i have been reading alot about this after i had a bottle start tasting foul after a few days.I didn't catch that this one had 7% in it.One thing i have been playing around with is if a recipe i want to try has sweetener or e.m. in it,is to leave them out when first mixed,and try it that way.If it is truly needed,then i have been putting a small amount of that mix into another bottle,then add the sweetener or e.m.,and it's a small enough amount that i can use it up within a day.Eventually hopefully i can get to the point where i can change things around a bit if a recipe i like calls for it,and be able to figure out what to change so that it doesn't need those additives,but i'm not at that point yet.
By the way,i have read alot of your posts,and have learned quite a bit from what you have said in other threads.I think you were the first person i seen mention the use of saline,and found that very interesting,as that is the only complaint i have had since i quit smoking and went to vaping,is the dry mouth/throat,so i am getting ready to give the saline a try with the next mix i make.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
1% coconut candy
2% vanilla swirl
3% Bavarian cream
(all TFA)

Ok, I let it steep for about a week, tossed it in my Reo/RM2 and it's pretty tasty. It's nice and creamy with a touch of coconut, I'll probably tweak it a bit more but it's pretty tasty as is. I find that the coconut candy is fairly strong so start with a low % in your mix or you can kiss your buds goodbye for a day or two.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Cool,thanks for letting me know,i will definitely give it a try.If the coconut is strong,that may work perfect for me though,as i am finding i like my juice to be a bit on the bold side with the flavor.Also if your looking for another good coconut,if you have not tried it already,i found a recipe posted on here called creamy coconut,it is great,and at least to me anyway,not overly heavy on coconut,but just the right amount with a very creamy feel to it.The original called for 15% capella's vanilla custard,but i don't have that so i used 15% tfa vanilla custard and 2% tfa coconut extra,i heat steeped it 2 times in hot water,then let it sit for a day,and it's fantastic.Like i said,not overly powerful on the coconut,but definitely a good taste,and very creamy.Just keep inmind though,that i just quit smoking a bit over a month ago,so my taste buds are still trying to make a comeback haha,but it seems right on for now.Lookinf forward to ordering the coconut candy now,to give your's a try.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Here's something you might be interested in that I came across on Reddit: Milkstone

This is a recipe for a coconut cream as a flavor component; in other words, you use it as a concentrate -- it's not a recipe for an e-liquid. So, say you want to make an orange coconut cream mix, you add your whatever percentage of Orange, and then some percentage of this Milkstone, the same way you would Sweet Cream, for example, then your nic and PG/VG. But you could try it out as a single flavor, at 10 - 20%, and see if this works for what you have in mind.

I haven't tried it yet, but I copied it down because it sounds good!

Here are the ingredients for 5ml, in case the page I linked to goes bye-bye:

Milkstone via et3rn1ty

IngredientsMlDrops%
PG dilutant1.253225
Bavarian Cream (TPA)2.255745
Coconut Extra (TPA)12520
Sweet Cream0.51310
Totals5127100

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Ok, I let it steep for about a week, tossed it in my Reo/RM2 and it's pretty tasty. It's nice and creamy with a touch of coconut, I'll probably tweak it a bit more but it's pretty tasty as is. I find that the coconut candy is fairly strong so start with a low % in your mix or you can kiss your buds goodbye for a day or two.

I have been waiting to try this,and forgot to add the coconut candy on my order last week.I decided i could not wait any more so i made it with coconut extra,using the same amounts as you did.All i can say is wow,that tastes great.Like i mentioned before,my taste buds are still not great,they haven't fully recovered from 25 years of smoking yet,so my intial thoughts before making this were,that those are really low numbers,so i didn't think i would even taste much of anything,i was completely wrong.I have not tried it in my pro tank yet,but i got a triton rda clone yesterday,and set it up with the same micro coil/cotton build that i use in my pro tank,and this tastes perfect.Now i need to get that coconut candy so i can try it exactly as you posted.Thanks again for sharing it.

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
So there's a recipe that has been around for awhile. Found a copy at White Rabbit E-Liquid Recipe | E-Juice Recipe by ejuicemeup app only thing is they goofed and put cream de menthe in. Replace that with coconut or coconut candy and its pretty good

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I made this one. I change the % quite a bit on the French Vanilla and Whipped Cream, down to 5%. I used 1% FA Coconut and 1% FA Fresh Cream. The more I vape it, the more I like it. Thanks for posting it!

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
I'm working on a mix right now with

1% coconut candy
2% vanilla swirl
3% Bavarian cream
(all TFA)

I'll let you know how it turns out after a few more days of steeping.
Made this yesterday using brands I had...... 1% FA Coconut, 2% TFA Vanilla Swirl, 1% FA Vienna Cream. Nice little mix there, Tony. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread