Anybody use spreadsheets for the juices you try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
I mean, I am starting out "on fire" trying different juices. Only 4 online vendors so far. I suppose I am sorta picky, and I find my tastebuds pick up on certain flavors and other flavors taste "nasty" or just "good flavor but too mild". And I don't want to accidentally spend good money on a flavor I've already tried because I *thought* I had it from xxx vendor but really had it from yyy vendor :(

I do remember that in my 20s I used to devour "formula detective novels" and the book covers, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]descriptions and so on could sound so familiar that I would be several chapters in to a "new" one when I realized I already read it. Maybe other people have better memories than I do...[/FONT]

Has anyone used spreadsheets for their juices/ratings? How has this worked out and have you got any suggestions? thanx

JonnyB88

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Elgin, IL, USA
Every time I order new juice from a new vendor, I use MS word, and name the file the vendor's name.
Then, I list each juice by name. For each juice, I type what it's SUPPOSED to taste like, then what I think it tastes like, then give it a 1-10 rating.

And thanks to you, I now realize that using a spreadsheet would make this look a LOT better. :facepalm:

...I list each juice by name. For each juice, I type what it's SUPPOSED to taste like, then what I think it tastes like, then give it a 1-10 rating.

I make similar notes, except using a spreadsheet in Google docs. It's cool because I can access it on my phone anytime, so I can check if I've already tried a flavor while at the juice vendor. :)

I also have nicotine content in the spreadsheet, and am going to add something to note burn tendency so I don't forget and accidentally funk up a fresh wick by using too much power.

rd2ruin

Mar 12, 2013
Philly burbs
I would be several chapters in to a "new" one when I realized I already read it. Maybe other people have better memories than I do
I watched better part of the movie "Salton Sea" before I realized about halfway through that I had already seen it six months earlier. Everything looked kind of familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it until the guy with no nose showed up.

A spreadsheet or something is a good idea. Sometimes I just don't like something and throw it in the pile to where I don't remember why I didn't like it. Was it the taste or something else about the quality of the juice itself? Seems that keeping track of this might encourage me to revisit them as my taste buds or possibly hardware changes.

DebbieF

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Albuquerque
OMG. I'm glad to know I'm not the only forgetful .... one out there! LOL!

Not only do I track juices I try with nic, ml, vendor, date, before/after steeping, but I also have separate worksheets for the following: juice combos I like (including ratios), purchases (with costs, date, vendor, items, etc.), new flavors to try, the current mixes I have in tanks (you'd be surprised how quickly I forget what's in which tank), and re-orders to make (trying to put myself on a budget and not re-order everything immediately as soon as it's gone).

OK, somebody tell me what I'm missing. I have room for a few more! :toast:

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
Every time I order new juice from a new vendor, I use MS word, and name the file the vendor's name.
Then, I list each juice by name. For each juice, I type what it's SUPPOSED to taste like, then what I think it tastes like, then give it a 1-10 rating.

And thanks to you, I now realize that using a spreadsheet would make this look a LOT better. :facepalm:

I got a sampler from AiV as one of my first online, and it might have had at least 15, maybe 20 juices. I noticed early on that I might get a juice , that whatever they say it's SUPPOSED to be (example: "Blackberry"), my tastebuds don't say "Blackberry" but it "tastes really good" or "tastes chemical". So I dumped the idea of it tasting like it was "supposed to" :(

I do like the idea of putting WHY you put it in the "dump basket" because some (especially AiV) I put in there because they were too mild. "Too mild" means I can vape it again sometime, whereas "nasty flavor" not so much.

@LarsBloodbeard, I just discovered Google Docs! (slow, lol) and yes you are right, I didn't think of that--you can access it anywhere! I did realize I could get there from ipad or computer, but who knows when you need it from your phone! That's great!

I like the idea of putting things like "burn rate" (gunks up coils etc) down there--that is a great idea.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
I'm normally not this ...., lol

I treat this as a hobby--or try to treat it as one, it makes it more enjoyable. I am just thinking that if one collected stamps, coins or minerals/rocks then wouldn't one also want to list them, dates acquired, grade of "fineness" or stuff like that? So I sort of don't think of it as that "...."!! lol

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
I treat this as a hobby--or try to treat it as one, it makes it more enjoyable. I am just thinking that if one collected stamps, coins or minerals/rocks then wouldn't one also want to list them, dates acquired, grade of "fineness" or stuff like that? So I sort of don't think of it as that "...."!! lol

I should have used the word "organized" ;) I'm normally not this organized, but I also figure if I keep track of some things, and I think I'll add volts used etc, then I can also avoid wasting money maybe, also I want to sort of keep track of the flavor combinations I like so I can one day try to come up with my own

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
i have a great one in excel 2010. dates, comment bubbles that expand if you mouse over, original vendor descriptions of the juice cut/paste from site, price per mL, shipping, total, price per L, all PG/VG, mg, + shots, my notes, all tasting notes after minimum 14 day steep. i might sample before 14 days but no comments. i only use Vision 2.0 clearos on variety of PVs.

i can prob get it into dropbox public and post a link here

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
i have a great one in excel 2010. dates, comment bubbles that expand if you mouse over, original vendor descriptions of the juice cut/paste from site, price per mL, shipping, total, price per L, all PG/VG, mg, + shots, my notes, all tasting notes after minimum 14 day steep. i might sample before 14 days but no comments. i only use Vision 2.0 clearos on variety of PVs.

i can prob get it into dropbox public and post a link here
I would love to see this RT88 and get ideas for what notes I need to keep and how best to do my excel-type record!

Oh good, I'm not the only geek in town. I keep track of flavor, vendor, PG/VG mix, mg/mL (hubby likes more nic than me), His rating, my rating, and copious notes. That being said, I've made a whopping total of 4 orders w/ 4 vendors. I'm now trying not to order the same flavor from different vendors at the moment, but as my supply of Mango runs low, I'll be trying someone else's. Not that I don't like this vendor, but I wanna find the best one, LOL.

Now to go find some empty bottles and hit the feed store for some syringes so that I can split up what we ordered since the 1/2 the juice stash can be any where in the east of I-35 at any given point in time. (Even if it's currently only 33 miles away, I darn sure didn't wanna get up at 3am to haul his behind to the truck.) He wants to hit the road at 4am, he can sleep in the truck. (HEY, in 10 days, I'm hitting the road with him for 5 weeks. Plus, he was home Monday for dinner, and last week for 4 days.)

Last edited:

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
I thought I was the only one OCD about this sort of stuff :D I use MS One Note to keep track of many things. I have one notebook (in MS One Note) that is dedicated to Vaping related things. I then seperate that digital notebook into different sections: Purchases, Wish List, DIY Juice Recipe, and Juice Log. The focus for this post is the Juice Log section. For the Juice Log section, I separate it into different pages depending on who made it. I only have 4 pages at the moment: DIY Juice, Hangsen, Dekang, Mt Baker Vapor. Then I have a routine for keeping track of each flavor:
- Vendor
- Price and Quantity
- Ratings (out of 5 stars)
- Then my thoughts on the juice and the date/time of when I took notes on it

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
I have a routine for keeping track of each flavor:
- Vendor
- Price and Quantity
- Ratings (out of 5 stars)
- Then my thoughts on the juice and the date/time of when I took notes on it

PinoyBoy I have been wondering of keeping track of price of juices. But not sure why to? I do have another list of the cost of my purchases (juice spending per vendor is one of those costs). Why do you do it with juices? I like your 5 stars category. I think I have done 4 vendors (5 including my B&M which has adequate juices I started on).

Of course I keep track of my spending so one day I can make it to my "break even day" and would like to know also what I spend on juices vs equip. I am not finding that I think I prefer my online orders of juices more than the B&M because of the "fun factor" of anticipating and getting the mail! LOL

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I love Excel and use it for a lot of things. When I started mixing juice I made a Excel file and worked with it for about 6 months. It really helped me keep track of my recipe experiments. Lately I have settled on a few base recipes I use with minor (or not so minor) adjustments as I feel the need so it's been a while since I've felt the need to update it. Made a huge difference when I was starting out though!

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
... Why do you do it with juices? ...

Of course I keep track of my spending so one day I can make it to my "break even day" and would like to know also what I spend on juices vs equip. I am not finding that I think I prefer my online orders of juices more than the B&M because of the "fun factor" of anticipating and getting the mail! LOL

I'm a guy on a budget. It is a way for me to easily see what the price per ml is. When I started to DIY, I mainly used it to compare the cost of my DIY juice to the ready made juice. No doubt DIY is helluvalot cheaper than buying. My cost of DIY can go as low as $0.04 per ml, and the highest DIY I've made was $0.13.

The most expensive juice I've bought is $0.33 per ml. A head shop I sometimes go to claims it is Mt Baker Vapor but they've repackaged it in smaller bottles. I enjoy it, so I don't mind the price. While I am there, I just try as much flavor as I can without pissing them off and then I buy the usual flavor I get. Waiting for the USPS/UPS is fun, but nothing beats trying 10 flavors for free that I'll never buy. :facepalm: Damn I'm cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread