Aspire Nautilus BVC - DRY HITS

Status
Not open for further replies.

di_najs

Feb 16, 2016
Hi,
I'm new here but anyway.. I have purchased a brand new Aspire Nautilus 5ml with BVC atomizers and been experiencing dry hits from the start. I switched the coils (1.8 and 1.6 ohm), done all the priming and stuff but the problem got even worse with the second coil. I also tried different juice but nothing seems to work.. In all the reviews I read nobody had this problem (or nobody bothered to mention it). Does anybody know how to help or does anybody share the same problem I do?

I don't want to give up just yet and buy a different tank.
I'm using Eleaf iStick 100W.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
How are you priming the heads?
It can take 5 - 10 drops directly on top of the screen to fully saturate the wicking material.
What power range/level are you using?
Start off low & gradually work your way up.
What pg/vg ratio?
Authentic Aspire? confirmed via scratch off security code on the packaging entered into the authenticity checker on their site?
Did you over tighten the tank to base?
just snug enough to prevent leaks is good enough.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi,
I'm new here but anyway.. I have purchased a brand new Aspire Nautilus 5ml with BVC atomizers and been experiencing dry hits from the start. I switched the coils (1.8 and 1.6 ohm), done all the priming and stuff but the problem got even worse with the second coil. I also tried different juice but nothing seems to work.. In all the reviews I read nobody had this problem (or nobody bothered to mention it). Does anybody know how to help or does anybody share the same problem I do?

I don't want to give up just yet and buy a different tank.
I'm using Eleaf iStick 100W.
I preferred the Mini, the full sized seemed finiky to me. However, I did these steps when priming. 1. 1 or 2 drops down the chimney before putting tank together. 2. One drop on each wick hole. 3. Put tank together and fill. Cover air holes with fingers and take two suction draws WITHOUT power. 4. Let tank sit for a few minutes.

I rarely had a dry hit from changing coils. I did get a few from over powering or gunked coil. Start taking a hit around 8 or 10 watts, bump it up one and try again. If it gets too warm, tastes funny or starts to taste burnt, back the power down.

If I recall correctly I was using the 1.8 ohm coils around 10 to 12 watts, and the 1.6 around 12 to 15 watts. At the time I was using 50/50 juice.

If you're using max vg juice you might want to add a couple drops of "distilled water" to your juice (like 2 drops per 15 ml) and shake the heck out of it. A little goes a long way. You can find the Distilled water just about everywhere (grocery) for 99 cents a gallon.

di_najs

Feb 16, 2016
I'm running 9-13W, the first juice was 65% PG, the next one i do not know but thinner than the 1st one

wetting the 4 holes on the sides with the wicks and a couple of drops from the top. probly going to check for authenticity but the packaging doesn't look generic to me. i didn't overtighten it, just the right amount, checked it and the wicking holes are not covered

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
+1. Thick juices sometimes don't wick well on those coils, and priming them can take some doing. Running too high watts for the coil will exceed the wick capacity even if it is all perfect.

I agree , every high VG juice i have tried in my Nautilus with the BVC coils results in dry hits even if properly primed , that tank was never made for high VG juices unfortunately .

I vape BVC's at no more than 13 watts , any higher i get the burned juice taste.

Reactions: suprtrkr

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
I don't use high VG juice. I just tried out a third brand of juice i have but it still tastes like crap. actually now i can't even taste the flavor which is supposed to be banana..

Always start new coils on a very low watt setting imo , after the first few vape's i start to move up in wattage but if your not getting any taste it's highly likely you may have a dud coil , it happens.

Try another and start low , under 10 watts if possible .

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
It sounds like you may have just gotten a bad set of coils.

If you're new to vaping you need to drink lots of water when you vape as you'll get "vapers tongue". We all go thru it at one time or another, it's the temporary loss of taste when vaping. Switching flavors, brushing teeth, drinking lots of water/fluids, all help to keep this from happening. Search Results for Query: vapers tongue | E-Cigarette Forum[node]=39

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I'm running 9-13W, the first juice was 65% PG, the next one i do not know but thinner than the 1st one

wetting the 4 holes on the sides with the wicks and a couple of drops from the top. probly going to check for authenticity but the packaging doesn't look generic to me. i didn't overtighten it, just the right amount, checked it and the wicking holes are not covered

It will take more than a few drops on the wicking holes to properly prime a new/unused head. After they burn nothing will fix it except replacing, you need to be careful so you don't burn the wicking material before it is fully saturated & ' broke in '.

Drip drops on top of the screen inside the head & allow time to soak in, keep adding drops until the wicking material you can see through the holes in the side is translucent, may have a little flow out of the wicking holes.
5 - 10 drops on top of screen.
Fill tank, thread base to tank snug not tight, take a few unpowered primer puffs, you should see a bubble or two rise from the wicking holes. If not cover the air flow hole with you finger & give it a few soft pulls.
Start off at a low power (8ish watts) to prevent burning the wicking material until you know it is wicking properly.
Gradually raise power slowly like over the first at least half tank to ' break in ' the new head.
It may take up to a full tank before you can crank up the power.

I vape bvc's 12w ~ 18w using clear non sweet 50/50.
Dark, colored & especially sweet liquids tend to burn easier at lower power, clog wicking material & gunk coils.

di_najs

Feb 16, 2016
"Congratulations! The Aspire product you bought with this security code (xxx) is original."

So far nothing seems to work I have it set on 1.86ohms, 4.1V, 9.4W. Looks to me as if there's a problem with coil wicking but then again I primed it (generously), dry-puffed it, let it sit for a while.. There is no flavor at all and it's really uncomfortable inhaling, I'm done for today. I'm gonna let it be for the night, see what happens in the morning, I'm hoping for a miracle (you hear me god?).

I'll try buying 2 more coils, hopefully that's going to work, if not I'm probably gonna need to buy a different tank. Anything in particular you guys would recommend, like clearomizer style cause I'm not into building my own RDAs just yet.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Sounds like you burned the wicking material.
No flavor uncomfortable to inhale = burnt.
Letting it sit over night won't help.
Properly priming the head and starting off at a lower power will.

Dripping drops on the wicking holes in the side of the head will do nothing to saturate the wicking surrounding the coil.
Only dripping 5 -10 top of the screen & allowing them to soak in will do that.

di_najs

Feb 16, 2016
Sounds like you burned the wicking material.
No flavor uncomfortable to inhale = burnt.
Letting it sit over night won't help.
Properly priming the head and starting off at a lower power will.

Dripping drops on the wicking holes in the side of the head will do nothing to saturate the wicking surrounding the coil.
Only dripping 5 -10 top of the screen & allowing them to soak in will do that.

I'm ordering 2 new ones.

......mit. Honestly, I really wanted to try out vaping for real, so far I only had an eGo clearomizer, which I vape at work so that I don't smoke cigs. This is supposed to be my casual/recreational vape. I guess I'll try again when the new coils arrive. Thanks so much for your help so far. I'll keep you posted about my 2nd attempt.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I dug out my old Nautilus and stuck it on my iStick 50 watt. I don't know if power is part of the issue or not. Click the power button 3 times and my iStick will switch between watts and volts. I always use watts. So when I set my iStick on 9.4 watts it only read 3.7 volts (1.5 ohm coil).

Nautilus BVC replacement coils
aspire-nautilus-bvc-coil-3.jpg

Below. Aspire BVC coils (WRONG for Nautilus)
s840238636428112869_p24_i5_w600.jpeg

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I'm ordering 2 new ones.

......mit. Honestly, I really wanted to try out vaping for real, so far I only had an eGo clearomizer, which I vape at work so that I don't smoke cigs. This is supposed to be my casual/recreational vape. I guess I'll try again when the new coils arrive. Thanks so much for your help so far. I'll keep you posted about my 2nd attempt.

I'd order at least a box of 5, that way it will have the security code on the back, so you can ensure you received legit replacement heads.

Knock off/clone heads caused me to dislike the nautilus not long after it came on the market. After I figured out the problem was knock off heads I only buy authentic heads, not a dud or single problem since.

The nautilus heads Sir2fyablyNutz posted a picture of are the old style small wicking hole variety, you want the new style larger wicking hole style. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/sir2fyablynutz.244429/

Last edited:
Reactions: herb

di_najs

Feb 16, 2016
I'd order at least a box of 5, that way it will have the security code on the back, so you can ensure you received legit replacement heads.

Knock off/clone heads caused me to dislike the nautilus not long after it came on the market. After I figured out the problem was knock off heads I only buy authentic heads, not a dud or single problem since.

The nautilus heads Sir2fyablyNutz posted a picture of are the old style small wicking hole variety, you want the new style larger wicking hole style.

So the upper image shows the correct coils, correct?

Reactions: herb

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014

The nautilus heads Sir2fyablyNutz posted a picture of are the old style small wicking hole variety, you want the new style larger wicking hole style.

I agree buy a 5 pack , you'll be spending way more money than you need to buying singles . Wait till "My Freedom Smokes " has their 40% off coil head sales .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread