At a local vape store today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I was really taken aback today at the local vape store, where I'd gone to see what kind of drip tips they might have. The pretty young blonde behind the counter smiled as I set my vape on the counter, a Stingray mech with an RSST on top, and she asked me what kind of dripper that was. I told her it's not a dripper at all, it's a genesis rba. She didn't know what that was at all, and apparently didn't like being wrong about what it was, and then defiantly said, "But I notice it IS on a dripper mod!"

I was amazed and didn't know what to say for a second. Dripper mod???? EXCUSE ME????

As far as I know there's no such thing as a dripper mod, and when did all mechanical mods suddenly become "dripper mods?" I tried to explain to her that it was a mech, and you can put any atomizer on it, including a genny, but she was totally clueless to anything but drippers and had it in her head hard-wired that this was a "dripper mod" wherever she got that idea from.

I think that particular B&M needs to hire more knowledgeable people to put behind the counter.

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I ran in to a similar issue last year when I was still using cartotanks, went in to a couple of local shops asking if they sold cartomizers (pre-punched or otherwise) and got the strangest looks from the kids.

Made them scratch their heads a bit more since I was using them on a mech...

These devices (in general) aren't all that complicated, it's kind of concerning how little of a grasp some of the employees at these shops have as to how they actually work.

Get off my lawn! You're not getting that ball back! etc ;)

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I stopped going to most B&M when one of them tried to sell me a spring loaded atty for my 4nine...after I explained why that wasn't a good idea, his excuse was, "well, you didn't say you were going to use it, you just said you wanted one that looked good"

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Decent B&M's are like diamonds in the rough. I have never been to one here in CO. The last one I was at had three guys intently working on a stacked 22650 mod with a build registering at 0.04... I can't even.

I was at the first great B&M I have ever been to this weekend. I was in Tucson, AZ and went to the Old Pueblo Vapor Lounge and met Arvid. Cool dude and new his stuff, especially about safety.

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Had that reaction recently as well when asking for mesh and (even more surprising) Kanthal. Guy at the counter had to check with the manager because he didn't know, then the manager suggested that I check "Amazon or something".

I like to support local businesses when I can, but some of these places seem to make a real effort to make it difficult for me to give them my money. *sigh*

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I'd like to support local business too, I know it's a pretty tough thing to get into a small business, but I balk when I find the B&M's hiring young hotties who know nothing about the business for reasons other than the business, which is to say I'm pretty sure I know what that cute young blonde was really hired for. That's quite common where I live with the vape stores. So is the ensuing vape opera.

There are very few reasons for me to visit a B&M anymore because of the hardware I use, and because I make my own juice. I think from now on I'll just find my new drip tips online rather than risk another disappointment with the B&M's.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Decent B&M's are like diamonds in the rough. I have never been to one here in CO.

My question - what part of CO? Here in my area, B&M's are popping up left and right. I've done a bit of shopping at various stores before passing my judgment on any of them. I do prefer some over the other though, and it boils down to this:

1.) How many different juices do they carry?
2.) How many different blends of said juices do they carry?
3.) Do they carry a good selection of hardware?
4.) Do they carry a good amount of spare parts / accessories for the devices they carry?
5.) How good is their staff when it comes to knowledge of their products?
6.) How is their warranty / replacement for defective products?
7.) How do they interact with their customers?
8.) Do they carry outside liquids and what is the percentage of outside liquid manufacturers to house liquid ratio?

Now as far as most of those questions are concerned, they're specifically what I look for. But for the most part - doing poorly in 4, 5, 6, 7 is an instant grade F for me. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Vape shops / retailers / juice blenders - whatever you want to call them - are supposed to be professionals and experts in their field. Their field is primarily customer service with a focus in getting people away from traditional cigarettes and onto a safer alternative to tobacco. If I go in and ask to see their selection of hardware and all they have are mechs and RBA's - it's usually a no-go. But again, that's my take. Everyone has different criteria. But I agree, if I walk into a shop and ask a question - which yes I do have some from time to time - and get a 'deer in the headlights look' it's not a very good business model in this industry IMO.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
My question - what part of CO? Here in my area, B&M's are popping up left and right. I've done a bit of shopping at various stores before passing my judgment on any of them. I do prefer some over the other though, and it boils down to this:

1.) How many different juices do they carry?
2.) How many different blends of said juices do they carry?
3.) Do they carry a good selection of hardware?
4.) Do they carry a good amount of spare parts / accessories for the devices they carry?
5.) How good is their staff when it comes to knowledge of their products?
6.) How is their warranty / replacement for defective products?
7.) How do they interact with their customers?
8.) Do they carry outside liquids and what is the percentage of outside liquid manufacturers to house liquid ratio?

Now as far as most of those questions are concerned, they're specifically what I look for. But for the most part - doing poorly in 4, 5, 6, 7 is an instant grade F for me. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Vape shops / retailers / juice blenders - whatever you want to call them - are supposed to be professionals and experts in their field. Their field is primarily customer service with a focus in getting people away from traditional cigarettes and onto a safer alternative to tobacco. If I go in and ask to see their selection of hardware and all they have are mechs and RBA's - it's usually a no-go. But again, that's my take. Everyone has different criteria. But I agree, if I walk into a shop and ask a question - which yes I do have some from time to time - and get a 'deer in the headlights look' it's not a very good business model in this industry IMO.

Haven't been to any in CO springs. I'm up in the Littleton area. I actually just went to the first good B&M near me the other day. It was a very enjoyable experience, knowledgeable staff, low prices, good selection, no dangerous newb setups, etc.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Yeah, not every B&M is good or bad, some are just "meh". But I'm unfamiliar with the Littleton area IMO - maybe I should take a trip, see what's poppin' besides my over-heated e-juice. Down here we have 3 that people speak of: JVapes (which is my go to), Vapor Source, and Workshop Vapor. The last 2 have a good selection, their employees know what's up, and they got clones, authentics, vv / vw / eGo, etc. And their prices aren't too bad. JVapes focuses more on authentic mods - just a smaller selection overall. 60+ flavors to choose from, no outside juices (which isn't a bother to me), and their staff is pretty on point. The handful of other shops we have out here - don't waste your time. Too much hassle, too small of a selection, juices are terrible (possibly for the added alcohol as a filler), staff has no clue what's going on or they're just blatantly ignorant. Now the big 3 I listed earlier, although they have their quirks, I still give them a B rating overall. The thing that kills them from getting an A rating from me, is their lack of spare parts / accessories - which in my opinion - isn't a huge thing, but it definitely helps. However, they can order said parts, but then again, so can I. I know a lot of people claim "well, having too many spare parts costs money and space..." and to an extent I agree, but shouldn't the retailers be pushing their suppliers to ship at least 4-5 sets of parts for their devices? Anyways, that's again, my opinion.

Oh and if you like your dangerously super low-ohm builds, be careful. None of these shops will even REMOTELY touch anything AT or BELOW .1 Ohm. Most of them will suggest if you are wanting super hot - to go for .25 Ohms and above. And after doing the math, I see why. Because according to Ohms Law, anything .1 and lower is pulling the max and exceeding the max of MOST batteries.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
you guys forget.......

The vaping demographic is very skewed to the not so intelligent side.
With that being said, your average intelligent vaper will not bee looking for a job in a vape shop, especially not for minimum wage.
So what are we left with?
Joe shmo, who cant hold a job anywhere else.
Or Billy Bob who has made some less than ideal life decisions.

THIS is all that is left. Social rejects working under a smart individual, who barely makes contact with the customers that walk in.

Visually, I am not the ideal image of a contributor to society.
But even my jaw drops to the ground when i hear some of the crap that comes out of the mouths of some of these knuckle draggers.

If you are planning to walk into a vape shop for an intelligent conversation... You are gonna have a bad time.

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
It's really too bad, because these people are giving the first (and maybe only) impression of ecigarettes to your average person. Most of the shops that I've been to around here leave me with a distinctly "head shop" vibe, which is probably not the environment most people who are interested in ecigarettes as a method of stopping tobacco use are looking for/are comfortable with. This is a shame, as they've been very effective for me (haven't had a cigarette in about 2 years), and I'd hate for people to lose out on making the switch because they walked in to a shop to find a bunch of people who don't understand the devices blowing clouds and walked right back out.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
The most fun I have had at a B&M was recently...went in to have a look around (just moved to the area). They had some clones, Aspire/Kanger and horribad home brew juice. The guys at the counter were yucking it up about builds they saw on YouTube. With me that day was my ProVari mini and kayfun v4. Got a nod from one of the guys - he buddy, trying to be impressive, bent over to the ground, took a huge lung inhale, and filled the room. His clone dripper almost glowed red. He snatched the top off to expose his mega coil build, raised it to his mouth to blow it off, and burned his lips!
So glad I didn't have to pee...I turned and ran out of the store laughing.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I didn't understand anything past "pretty young blonde" Where is this shop again? lol

In all seriousness though, most vapers on this site are as, or more, knowledgeable that many vape store employees. With that being said, most vape store employees are more educated than a good portion of vapers I have met that were not part of this site.

We get spoiled here and sometimes forget how unique and special this place is and what an amazing resource this pool of knowledge is. Don't bash the vape shops high prices, refuse to shop in them and then expect when you do walk in that hey can afford to hire the best possible prospects out there.

Reactions: BuzzKilla

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
At the vape store where I got my Kraken they have a young woman "working" there who completely ignores customers and just sits on a stool behind the counter vaping while completely absorbed in her phone. I had questions, but didn't want to bother her as she clearly preferred to be alone with her phone and I waited for someone else to get around to me. It took a while.

Reactions: thetrucker

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Don't bash the vape shops high prices, refuse to shop in them and then expect when you do walk in that (t)hey can afford to hire the best possible prospects out there.

I understand what you're saying here, but if the shop has high prices, poor customer service, and doesn't have (or gives incorrect) information about their products then the only reason remaining to shop there is that they are "local". I'm willing to bet that many of these places, even if they had money pouring in, wouldn't invest that money in paying their staff more or in training etc for their staff.

I also know that these are blanket statements and don't apply to what I assume are many good B&M vape shops out there. Many of the places that I order from online are someone's B&M shop in their town (those lucky people!) and they are able to provide knowledgeable and prompt customer service over the phone or online. I assume that their in store service is great as well.

BigGOOSE

Verified Member
Jul 6, 2015
I have 2 favorite b&ms. Ones that are owned by people that do not vape but (poorly) pretend to. And ones that don't vape and are honest. I try to avoid the first and I'm willing to frequent the latter only because of the honesty. I've heard horror stories of shops selling "authentics" at clone prices. But I suppose it's not as bad as selling a clone At authentic prices. For me honesty is a big factor. Sounds like the worker let her ego go to her head.

Haha "ego"...I made a funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread