Atomizer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winslow

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles
New e-cig smoker here.
I ordered a dse901 kit a few days ago and i'm waiting for it ("USSFOA- Released from Customs" woo should be just a day or two now).

I've been reading and reading about ecigs, but I cant yet picture how the atomizer works. Here are some questions i've gatered:

-Is the atomizer coil touching the wick/cart-fluff or floating over it?

-When you drip on the atomizer, where does the liquid go/settle? Does it have something to absorb into in there or does it just act like a drop on the side of the chamber?

-When you drip on the atomizer, is it in any way harmful to the unit? What is the liquid making contact with?

-What are the metal components in the atomizer made of (worried about lead)

-Does having juice in the ecig ever require to hold it a certain way- like straight up, in order to keep the juice in the right spot?

-What temperature does the air reach in there?

-I ordered 3 batteries, but 1 atty, should I get more addys asap??

Winslow

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles
def get more attys. Sometimes you'll want at the very least to drain the liquid out and still want one to use, and some flavors linger, and linger lol so you'll want to clean it out. Besides that, what if the atty fails? you wouldn't have a backup! yikes.

Ok, thanks. Another question: any store vendors for emergencies? I heard something about mobile craigslist dealers, im in los angeles so i'd assume my chances are good.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Do the auto batteries discharge even when disconnected from the atomizer?

No. The autos lose power quickly. Unless you are a very light vaper, the quality of the vaper and throat hit goes down hill quickly with the auto batteries. 1-2, maybe three hours on a charge. Plus, if any liquid gets in the battery, which it will eventually, it will gum up the auto switch and make the PV useless.

I just ordered some manual DSE901 batteries and the adapter so I can charge them on my current charger from Rocky Mountain. I will only use this a backup since I moved up to the better devices. Rocky Mountain provides free shipping, very good service and very quick shipping. The manual batteries are $11 and the adapter is $4. I would suggest you check them out.

His KENT and RY4 liquid is also excellent. Here is the address:

http://shop.rockymountainvapor.com/

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
-Is the atomizer coil touching the wick/cart-fluff or floating over it?
No the bridge of the atomizer is touching the filler in the cartridge that holds the liquid. And the atomizer bridge has wicking material in it as well, which wicks the juice down to the atomizer coil.

-When you drip on the atomizer, where does the liquid go/settle?
It goes into the atomizer bridge wicking material, and wicks down to the atomizer. If you put in more liquid than the atomizer bridge and wicking material can hold, or absorb in a timely manner, then you will flood the atomizer.

Does it have something to absorb into in there or does it just act like a drop on the side of the chamber?
It has something to absorb into in the bridge of the atomizer.

And I believe there is also a mesh surrounding the atomizer too, which can hold liquid as well.
In fact, I need to understand that part better myself.
:)

-When you drip on the atomizer, is it in any way harmful to the unit?
In and of itself, no, not at all. But if you have unsealed batteries and you get juice past the atomizer and into the battery then it will gum it up and you will have some issues.

I drip with an RN4081 unsealed battery all the time and have never had a problem.
But it takes a bit of understanding and common sense.

What is the liquid making contact with?
The bridge of the atomizer.

-What are the metal components in the atomizer made of (worried about lead)
I believe the coil itself is nichrome, but I don't know about the rest of it.

-Does having juice in the ecig ever require to hold it a certain way- like straight up, in order to keep the juice in the right spot?
In my opinion, yes, it makes a difference.

Holding it cartridge side down while full will keep it from leaking out.
Holding it cartridge side up when getting less full will allow gravity to help it wick better

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Holding it cartridge side up when getting less full will allow gravity to help it wick better

I was waiting for someone to notice this, you are SO right. I have an entire informal system that I use(of holding and placing my 510) ,depending on how full the cart is, to provide maximal vapor. Your comment is EXACTLY on point. I have even added a process of using Centifugal force(basically swinging my 510 back and forth in a quick arc) on either end, depending on the fullness/emptiness of the cart. This will move the juice back into the atomizer or back into the cart depending on how it's hitting and how full it is. This will also maximize the amount of juice you get out of cart by forcing any excess liquid out of the cart into the atomizer.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
In my opinion, yes, it makes a difference.

Gee, I hold my up side down, right side up, sideways, etc and get excellent results regardless. Would it not be easier to not be concerned with how you hold the PV?

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I found out afterwards that the supplier (bestecig) ships the auto, and I read the horror stories :(. I figure i'll deal with it, and phase them out.
I got 10 ml of 16mg, I smoke a pack a day or less so I thought that should last me a week or two.

Do the auto batteries discharge even when disconnected from the atomizer?

They won't activate until you need them too if they work properly. Auto batteries have their faults. You can drip juice into them, and occasionally, they may stick, but they do last longer than manual batts.

The Auto batt activates only when you draw on it and shuts off when you stop. With a manual, you tend to push the button early to heat up the juice, which makes for a longer cycle. It just common sense. I have both, and like them. It's up to you to see which type you like. Try them both, and decide for yourself. Either way, you're vaping.

Winslow

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the help. I recieved the 901 today and vaped a little less than a pre-filled cart.

The first odd thing was I noticed when I started a drag, often the led would light up, then go out, even though I was still inhaling, then light up again. It seemed like I had to pull just right to activate the switch. I guess i'll get used to it, but are the batts supposed to be that sensitive?

Next, is can I drip onto a pre-filled cart's wick once its dry, or do I HAVE to use a blank cart

Chief-A-Lot

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Spring, TX
www.springvapor.com
Thanks for all the help. I recieved the 901 today and vaped a little less than a pre-filled cart.

The first odd thing was I noticed when I started a drag, often the led would light up, then go out, even though I was still inhaling, then light up again. It seemed like I had to pull just right to activate the switch. I guess i'll get used to it, but are the batts supposed to be that sensitive?

Next, is can I drip onto a pre-filled cart's wick once its dry, or do I HAVE to use a blank cart

Thats exactly how you refill em!

As for the Blank cart, thats most likely for dripping... try it out! 2-3 drops directly on the atty and pop the black cart on it and enjoy the rich vap! Dont over do it with tomany drops or you will flood your atty. In that case tip it upside down and blow the excess juice onto a napkin until it doesnt come out any more... then... vap on! :D

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thats exactly how you refill em!

As for the Blank cart, thats most likely for dripping... try it out! 2-3 drops directly on the atty and pop the black cart on it and enjoy the rich vap! Dont over do it with tomany drops or you will flood your atty. In that case tip it upside down and blow the excess juice onto a napkin until it doesnt come out any more... then... vap on! :D

IF you drip on the atomizer of an auto switch PV like the regular 901, YOU WILL get liquid in the battery eventually and you will gum up the switch and you will kill your battery.

Get the new manual switch batteries for the DSE901 ($11) and you can drip all you want and never worry about killing the batteries. And you also do not have to figure out how to inhale.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Gee, I hold my up side down, right side up, sideways, etc and get excellent results regardless. Would it not be easier to not be concerned with how you hold the PV?
I'm sure that's just fine for people who take a drag or two every few minutes or more.
Things are not nearly that simple for power smokers.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Welcome to the world of automatic batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread