Status
Not open for further replies.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
It's a major motorcycle playground in the Smokey Mountains. Sadly too many kids think they are better riders than they really are and end up wrapping themselves around trees. It's a fun place other than that. lol

dragon%20map.jpg

At the Gap they have what is called the Tree Of Shame. Back in the 70's a couple of Harley guys crashed and burned trying to slay the Dragon and the hung parts of their wrecked bikes on this tree. As you can see it's mostly crotch rocket parts on it now a days.

tree-of-shame-tail-of-the-dragon.jpg

Last edited:

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
I love the pic! I haven't even travelled that way in a long time, last time I saw several momentoes tacked on trees along the way.
The bad part about that place is when you face an 18 wheeler, OMG! that can be so tricky.

Hairball,
It's a stretch of road from NC to TN that has 318 switchback curves (puts new meaning into seeing the tail end of your own vehicle) in like 11 miles. Tricky for those that don't know what they are getting into and now a major attraction to bikers from all over the world.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I've been to NC a bunch in my teenage years...may not have been as popular back then. Wow, I wouldn't want to even drive a car on it, I'd wear my breaks out...LOL.

Sounds like some the backwood roads going over the mountians is Kentucky with a New York cabby driving. Holy cow...no thanks. I like the po-dunk driving in KS better...more my pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread