Atty help!! What should I be doing!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedheadMeggs

Oct 6, 2010
Florida
I have tried researching the site before I asked this but I just can't seem to find any info that answers my question so here it is:
I'm using a Joye 510, no mods, just as it came, and I refill my own carts. Unless I have just topped off my cart I'm getting a nasty burnt taste that burns my throat. Am I supposed to be putting juice on the atty too? I've read that people do that but then I have also read that they can get flooded so I'm seriously confused. :?:

Sparrots

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
North/central Nebraska
Hi Red,
Are you using atty's that may need to be blown out or cleaned? I've come across some pretty stubborn 510 primed atty's and it just tasted and felt rotten. You can drop a couple of drops onto the atty without flooding it. I ended up cleaning out my atty's using everclear and that took care of the primer issue.
I'm sure you'll get other suggestions from some of the vets here on the forum.
Take care,
I have tried researching the site before I asked this but I just can't seem to find any info that answers my question so here it is:
I'm using a Joye 510, no mods, just as it came, and I refill my own carts. Unless I have just topped off my cart I'm getting a nasty burnt taste that burns my throat. Am I supposed to be putting juice on the atty too? I've read that people do that but then I have also read that they can get flooded so I'm seriously confused. :?:

RedheadMeggs

Oct 6, 2010
Florida
I just cleaned my atty on Saturday using just hot water and dry burns, a method I found on here. The taste is the reason I cleaned my atty so it isn't because of that. I just put 2 drops right onto the atty and it's vaping perfectly so is that something I should be doing throughout the day? I have always been afraid of flooding it so I'd just top off my cart.
I feel like a tard but I'm still pretty new at this...

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
The carts do not last long before they burn dry and you have to top off. I think that is simply what is going on. This is why many people do not like carts and use cartomizers...

My only suggestion would be to try what i did - take out the filler and pull off about 1/3 to allow more juice in the cart. I think it works fine.

Edit: I would order some blank 510 BOGE cartomizers if you do not have any. Likely will be much happier, certainly last much, much longer. You can get a box of 5 for $8 at LiteCigUSA and only $2 for shipping - so perfect for small orders like that.

Last edited:

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
No problemo. Let me know if you try to take some filler out and if it works for you. I think it works fine...

I pull the filler out... fill the cart... then put the filler back in... then a couple of drops on top of the filler. Only taking off 1/3 seems to allow for the filler to stay near the atty... at least i have had no issue with it.

Last edited:

Icoth

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
CA
Cart filler doesn't last forever. It looses the ability to wick effectively and you end up with dry atty, yuck. Dripping a few drops directly on the atty is dripping, whether you use a cart as the mouthpiece or a drip tip. Try some of the cart mods, Doc's suggestion being one of the simpler ones, but if the filler is getting old you might want to replace it and give the mod a fair chance to succeed. I can only think of four methods of getting juice to the atty, carts, cartos, dripping and juice feed systems. I don't think any of them are perfect yet, hopefully down the road they will be. I'm the mean time, try as many as you can and find what works best for you. LOL, I think we're all waiting for that perfect system to hit the market.

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
I usually just drip, and any time my 510 atty starts to run dry I get that nasty burned taste too. The primer is nasty, and I blow it out. It is safe to put 1-2 drops in your atty, as long as you don't put an overfilled cartridge on right after. If you do happen to flood your atomizer, no big deal, just remove it from the battery, take the cartridge off, put a napkin over the opening and blow out some of the juice from the threaded end of the atomizer. I have also found (after dripping) if I get a little too much juice in, I just tip the e-cig (LED UP) for a few seconds and then start to vape it, the juice moves out of the coil area long enough to get it started, and then I continue vaping as usual. Works for me. Good luck to you.

JTman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
SE Michigan
I just switched over from carts to cartomizers on saturday and I am a much happier vaper. I found the cartos to be a lot more consistant and last quite a bit longer. I would say the first few vapes on a full cart would give a little stronger hit, but the cartos just seem to last forever compared to the carts. (and if you want the strong hits just do some dripping!) I'd say give the cartos a whirl. I'm finding that vaping is a lot of trial and error to find out what works best for you!

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
Red... I finally went and bought some click pens to tear apart and try the spring mod. I didn't do it like the other thread. I simply cut off a small piece of the spring and put it in the cart. Then took a very small piece of fiber, likely 1/3 of the original, max, and placed it on top of the spring. It works fine.

The spring doesn't slide down as it apparently gets very narrow in the cart. Never looked in it before. So I just put the spring in lengthwise. Have only vaped it an hour, but seems to work perfectly.

The major point of this is when I started, like you, I was VERY frustrated with carts and wouldn't even use them. Now it is about all I use... because I have moded them.

Last edited:

chrizzle

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2010
Chicago
I've recently started using the ZFM (Zero Filler Mod) done by Scottyballs. I was too lazy to make my own so I just went on his site and bought a pack. They work great. It sucks that these carts don't work the way they are supposed to out of the box and that you have to tinker with or spend a little more to get them to really get going. I drip at home and pack a few carts with me for my day at work with this ZFM mod.

The thread for the mod is here and the actual site to buy them is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread