Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Aurora Play:

Ok, for sake of clarity the fine folks at Vapresso asked me to try one out and sent me a sample. Their label Renova Zero already was my favorite vape device so I figured the bar was set pretty high. I told Chelsea that.

I do not know which pod it had installed as there were no markings indicating which one it is. The rear of the box said it comes with 1 at 1.3 ohms but the kit came with 2 unmarked pod tanks. Also note my prototype does not adjust like the Zero. So I'm vaping it on high. It vapes a nice cloud like a sub ohm but nice and cool like a plus ohm coil.

The giveaway thread here indicated the Play will have 1.3 or 0.65 ohm pod tanks and be adjustable like the Zero.

In just a few days it was at my house. Trouble was I was not. So today was the unboxing and trying it out. Removing the typical celophane and sliding open a fairly nice box revealed the 'textured' version, which stoked me to no end. (Uh, that's surfer lingo for pretty happy.)

Pop it out and it felt like I was holding an economy size Zippo lighter. Same clicking sound when you one hand open it. I closed it, slid it in my shirt pocket and thought "yeah, that will do nicely". The pod tank was already installed. I pulled it out noting enough resistance to decide droppsees won't plague it, but not so hard to pluck it out that the acrylic tapered tip slid off.

Tapered tip? Yup. Nice. Removable/replaceable? Yup. I'll try some extra tips I have from other tanks like the Nauti X type to see if they are the same. It looks pretty close. (Will report back about that).

There's a tape on the contacts of the pod tank to halt electric current. Pull that off and you're ready. Like the Zero this is the push to fill setup. Unlike the Zero this fills from the top. That was my only qualm with the Zero was that drop or two left in the concaved fill port bung after filling could end up on the contacts. No biggy, just caused contact issues until wiped off. Anyway that won't be an issue with the Play.

It seems to weigh about like a C cell flashlight battery. You know it is in your pocket yet it doesn't cause your shirt to droop in the direction of the pocket. On/off switch is next to the micro USB charge port and so is the indicator light. Just remember if you are a light color watcher where it is located.

The flip top is not some cheesy contraction that'll easily break at the hinge point. Similar to a Zippo it is a 3 part deal split into nearly equal thirds with a pin driven through it. Looks pretty solid and operates nearly wobble free.

Ok but for the big question:
How's it vape?
Let me put it succinctly. My boss will no longer be commenting on the Zero flash drive looking device setting on my desk but will now likely be saying "that's the biggest Zippo I've ever seen".

I filled it with ease from a store bought plastic bottle and let it soak for 15 minutes or so. The first drag or three were primers. The fourth was bursting with flavor and loaded with vape, yet it was smooth like the Zero. Where the Zero seems a little restricted this one was not. Some mega-cloud maker? Eh, probably not. But to me the goal was met by accurately mimicing the draw from a cigarette. Small puff gives small results. Big drag yields big results. Yet, no heat was detected even when vaping a few quick drags.

Fit and finish were spot on. The charge port was centered correctly and is solid when inserting a cord tip. The on/off button protrudes slightly. Enough to easily find but not very much. I pressed it onto my knee to mimic pocket turn on and noted if you put it in your back pocket with really tight pants on you may press the button when sitting down. But in normal use inadvertant button push should not be an issue.

The finish throughout the device is flawless. No scuffs or tool marks are seen inside or out. The bottom has three vent holes and a pair of torx screws for servicing the device if ever needed. I did not attempt to take it apart nor will I disassemble this one.

The textured surface provides a nice grip without feeling like sand paper. It looks pretty cool to me. The logo is machined into the case too.

Final thought is I hope whoever designed this and built the prototypes gets a pay raise. Well done.

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Now some photos:

IMG-20190301-134322.jpg

The box.
Pardon the blur, I was pretty excited. This was the 'before the celophane was removed' pic. Too late to take another one of those.

IMG-20190301-134346.jpg

The rear of the box.
Note how it only mentions the one type of pod pack.

IMG-20190301-134408.jpg

First thing you see.
When I saw the item on the inside matched the outside I was very happy. I really like the nostalgic look of the textured version and was estatic that was the version they sent.

IMG-20190301-134454.jpg

Compare to other usual stuff including the Zippo on the right. It'll easily fit in an 85mn (King size) crush resistant cigarette box. My dad (RIP) used that Zippo for decades.

IMG-20190301-134533.jpg

What's in the other box.
Mine did not have the warranty card or user manual. Nice little 18" (450mm) braided metalic covered charger cord and another unmarked tank pod.

IMG-20190301-151213.jpg

Flashlight shows the juice window.
The flashlight was used to exagerate how easy it is to see fluid level through the honey colored plastic tank.

IMG-20190301-151235.jpg

The hinge.
Note the middle section is larger than the two sections on the top. Substantial enough construction that bar-ing the atypical use the top should stay fastened for a long time.

IMG-20190301-151307.jpg

My new laptop background pic.

Vapresso has another winner. Hopefully others will agree and buy these things for years to come.

IMG-20190301-194922.jpg

A dynamic duo pic.

Last edited:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Where the Zero seems a little restricted this one was not.
Uh oh! This concerns me a bit:(. I found the zero to have an extremely loose draw. So much so that it was unusable for me until I figured out a hack to tighten it up. This sounds to me like it should come with an optional chuff cap.
Oh well, I should have mine in hand in a few days, maybe I'll be able to find a way to restrict the air flow on it. :yawn:

Reactions: Katya

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Less effort to get a better drag than the Zero. Reminded me of a Zenith with 2 holes open.
Not familiar with the Zenith. I'm an old school MTLer. Think Evod or old Aspire clearos with 2 or 3 tiny pinholes for airflow. Oh well, I should be testing mine Sunday. I'll see what I can do with it.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Perhaps 'restricted' was not the correct adjective FR. Maybe 'productive' would be better?

I discovered the Nautilis X type tip does fit the Play. I read elsewhere that the final production version of the Play will have a non removable tip.
The Nauti came with a straight tip. Both the Play and Nauti chose to have a tip the same size as a cigarette filter outside diameter. The supplied hard plastic tapered tip with the Play just feels more natural when taking a puff than the non tapered Nauti-X tip.

So after sitting all night my Play needed a 'wake up' puff to go into full production mode again. No biggy in my mind. Just wanted to point that out. An hour here or there between puffs did not require one though.

For those unfamiliar with using a Zippo:
Basic one hand operation as follows;
IMG-20190302-084821.jpg

You hold it palm facing you, thumb on one side pushing upwards on the lid.

IMG-20190302-084851.jpg

Push up with thumb until it flips open.
Take tastey puff. Yum, yum, yum.
So tastey you want another puff.

To close:
IMG-20190302-085248.jpg

Reach around the top with pointer finger.
Slide pointer finger across the top until it pops closed.

Medium mens gloves fit my hand. So those with small hands may find closing it one handed a bit tricky at first. But if you are familiar with using a Zippo lighter this will require little to no practice using it one handed. For those who are not familiar with a Zippo lighter, one handed operation may be daunting to some at first.

For those youngsters who find preparing a bowl of breakfast cereal is too complicated there is another outfit making a fidget spinner pod....but for the rest of us the Aurora Play is a pretty cool device.

Going back to the 1970's last night Mrs. Fixer and I were binge-ing on episodes of "The Rockford Files" while I opened/ closed my Play repeatedly like we used to do zippos before the BiC lighter was mainstream. Me thinking nothing of the "click, clump, click, clump" open/close Mrs. Fixer suddenly shouted "STOP IT!".... Just like my dad used to. lol. Yup, back then the family would sit around watching the "who shot JR" show or Gun Smoke and I'd play with my dads zippo like that.

Ok, so all kidding aside, this Play seems to be a great smoking cessation device. I'm a dual user but I have found that puffing on the Play has reduced my cravings to smoke greatly. Your results may vary. But it provides a substantial production from a cigarette sized tip while also providing an old school approach to keeping the idle hands busy.

For stealth vaping? Nah, the click will give away your position. But once opened it is a wee bit quieter than the Zero.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: gerrymi

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Day 3:

IMG-20190303-154926.jpg

Took a page from Vapresso.

Once again my other devices are sitting idle. I've vaped on the Play all weekend and went through about 1/2 a tank. Light is still green. Flavor is still Yumazing.

I forgot to mention that on Friday I charged it for about 20 minutes until the light went from red to green. It was nice and cool to the touch.

This morning no wake up puff was needed.
What I noticed yesterday was every so often when I'd use it after being idle for a while (while meaning a couple of hours), there would be no production and the light would flash. It was as if the Play was saying "hey buddy, try a little harder" and another puff with more effort got things going again.

Not the devices fault, but my err on the side of caution lightweight puff to ensure the residuals from a head cold to cause a coughing episode. (Kinda like not lighting a cigarette all the way and wondering why you got a sketchy drag.)
This morning's first puff was a regular puff and things worked just like my Zero always does.

Everything thus far has been flawless once I got past my occasional first puff issue. Hopefully my favorite vape chain store (Avail) will carry these so I can put this sample unit on display in my den.

On another matter:
IMG-20190303-161523.jpg

Still stuck in 1974 in my den with the giant Zippo while binge-ing on the Rockford Files I noticed the silver-ish Vega on the screen shows up somewhere in nearly every episode.

Mrs. States had enough of the "click/clump, click/clump" of opening and closing the Play about halfway through Season 1. But what else brings back memories like the Eveready Captain flashlight the cops used in episodes, Chevy Vegas and the "click/clump" of an overgrown Zippo lighter looking vape pod?

Last edited:
  • Useful

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
the Play will have 1.3 or 0.65 ohm pod tanks and be adjustable like the Zero.

Most Pods are Direct Voltage..meaning the voltage output will decrease as the battery runs down...

Some Pods...(Justfog Minifit, Vaparesso Nexus and Aspire Spryte)...are Constant Voltage...meaning the voltage output remains constant until the battery is depleted...

Are the Play and the Zero...Direct or Constant???

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Well, I finally got my Aurora in hand. Have been enjoying for half a day now.
Since I received the exact same thing as Mr. @United States there is really not much I can add. And I really don't see the point anyway, I mean we know these are test prototypes and not really representative of the final product..... Why bother?

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Most Pods are Direct Voltage..meaning the voltage output will decrease as the battery runs down...

Some Pods...(Justfog Minifit, Vaparesso Nexus and Aspire Spryte)...are Constant Voltage...meaning the voltage output remains constant until the battery is depleted...

Are the Play and the Zero...Direct or Constant???

FWIW.... I just ran my 'tester' down until it shut off. No noticeable decline in performance.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
What did you think of the drag FR? Did you feel the need to change it?

After a few days the contacts at the bottom of the tank were bone dry. Now I say that as my vape style leaves some vape in the chimney, which typically after a few days causes a bit of moisture buildup. Not with the Play setup.

Vaporesso_Milo

Brand Manager
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks @United States and @Foggy Road for both of your test! The samples we sent out were still the samples. For the final version, there will be 3 optional power modes like the Renova Zero kit; And also the drip tip will be all-in-one with the pod which cant be removed. Sorry for any inconvenience caused

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
What did you think of the drag FR? Did you feel the need to change it?

After a few days the contacts at the bottom of the tank were bone dry. Now I say that as my vape style leaves some vape in the chimney, which typically after a few days causes a bit of moisture buildup. Not with the Play setup.

Much to my surprise the drag is actually perfect for me. And the auto fire reacts flawlessly!

• Useful

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
After watching a couple of reviews my biggest concern is the door. It seems a bit flimsy when open or the hinge does

IMO the hinge is made as solidly as would be practical. It could be made tighter but that would just make it harder to open and the tightness would probably just cause the hinge to wear prematurely. If a reviewer is looking for cons and actually shakes it to see if it will rattle.... Then yes, you can make it rattle. But why would you do that during normal use? I hold mine like this and it doesn't rattle at all.

IMG_20190306_040706.jpg

Also is it awkward to vape with the door hanging open. Is it in the way specifically?

Not in the way at all.

Otherwise I love the design and fill system.

I thought it would be more of a novelty item than a full time vape. But it's actually quite comfortable to use. I usually take 5 or 6 puffs then close it and sit it down until I'm ready to grab it again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread